PDA

View Full Version : Butternut squash

Angela
01-Jun-07, 12:34
I wondered if anybody had any recipes using butternut squash that they'd like to share?

I've never, ever cooked it, just looked at it in the shop and thought it really didn't look edible at all! [lol]

However, my son-in-law cooked us a delicious Thai green curry recently, using this weird vegetable - it was so yummy it's set me thinking maybe there is a use for it after all...:lol:

Any ideas/recipes would be welcome -thanks!

aburns
01-Jun-07, 13:56
Hey i made soup on monday & its luvly either with butternut squash or sweet potato mixed with the carrots! The kids love it tooxx

Angela
01-Jun-07, 14:00
Hey i made soup on monday & its luvly either with butternut squash or sweet potato mixed with the carrots! The kids love it tooxx

Now that's a thought.... and I only just discovered sweet potatoes last week! :lol:

My baby granddaughter just loves them mashed up....I think her tastes are a bit more adventurous than mine are already...:roll:

scotty_mags
01-Jun-07, 14:24
Try cutting into wedges and roasting with olive oil & rosmary...delicious and makes a nice change

emb123
01-Jun-07, 20:03
good luck! I had some once and even the memory of it makes me feel queasy.

Mind you, tomato soup does that for me too so must be my tastebuds!

sassylass
02-Jun-07, 01:37
Yes, it's nice roasted with butter and salt and pepper, too. Never thought of using rosemary and olive oil but it sounds good. My daughter makes a delish butternut squash soup, I'll post the recipe when it surfaces.

sassylass
02-Jun-07, 01:50
Now that's a thought.... and I only just discovered sweet potatoes last week! :lol:

My baby granddaughter just loves them mashed up....I think her tastes are a bit more adventurous than mine are already...:roll:

Attention All Menfolk! You may read another thread if you like, this is women talk:

I've read that sweet potatoes are especially good for us ladies as they contain natural hormones. I just know that sometimes they are a particularly satisfying food. Peel and cut one into chunks and boil the chunks until tender. They make a nice snack.

Angela
02-Jun-07, 10:12
Thank you all for these ideas - I had a sweet potato just baked like an ordinary one the other day and that was pretty tasty.

Look forward to the soup recipe, sassylass!;)

A friend says she makes a great risotto made with butternut squash among other things, but she's being a bit coy about handing over the recipe....

Which is a shame, I do love risotto! :roll:

sassylass
03-Jun-07, 03:03
This is my daughter's recipe for Butternut Squash Soup.

Roast face down on an oiled baking sheet one 3 1/2 pound squash, halved & seeded, about one hour until it can be easily pierced with a fork. Cool and scoop pulp from shell and discard shell (this is the tedious part).

In a soup pot, over medium-low heat, in 3 TBSP butter, cook 2 large (white part only) leeks, chopped and 4 tsp fresh ginger until tender but not browned. 5-10 minutes.

Stir in squash and 4 cups stock. Simmer, stirring while breaking up squash with a spoon for 20 minutes.

Puree until smooth. Return to pot and stir in 2 additional cups stock 1 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste. Heat throughly.

I garnish it with sour cream and chili oil, or parsley and croutons. FYI, the ginger flavor gets spicier over time.

saffy100
03-Jun-07, 11:16
Don't waste the seeds, while you are roasting the squash put the seeds in the corner of the tin, drizzle with olive oil salt and pepper(i also use garlicpowder) and roast until crisp.

Lovely sprinkled on the roasted squash or on the top of the soup.

Also try roasting some garlic cloves with the squash and adding to the soup.

Angela
03-Jun-07, 11:45
Thank you all! :)

I will finally buy a butternut squash this week! :lol:

sassylass
03-Jun-07, 18:14
Don't waste the seeds, while you are roasting the squash put the seeds in the corner of the tin, drizzle with olive oil salt and pepper(i also use garlicpowder) and roast until crisp.

Lovely sprinkled on the roasted squash or on the top of the soup.....snip

Roasted seed garnish was recommended in the original recipe and I disregarded it as too much work, but next time I'll take your advice and give it a try.

miraclematt
09-Jun-07, 23:09
cut up into cubes, marinate in oil and chillies (without seeds if you want it milder!) then roast - to die for!!

ANNIE
13-Jun-07, 11:29
This is fool proof and really easy soup. Cut up your butternut squash in cubes dice a onion and couple of carrots. Place in medium size pan of vegetable stock boil until veg is soft add curry powder to taste and whizz up with a hand blender. Promise you it's really tasty.