PDA

View Full Version : Bored on a bus!

rfr10
31-May-07, 20:20
Now, I know you lot will be thinking.. "What's this complete idiot on about now" but tell me.. if you're stuck on a bus for about four hours, what would you do to pass the time?

And, no I have not gone completely insane! ;)

angela5
31-May-07, 20:24
Doodle on the seat in front of me![lol]

rfr10
31-May-07, 20:25
Doodle on the seat in front of me![lol]
What happens if you forget the pen? :D

Fluff
31-May-07, 20:25
sleep, space, listen to music, chat to person with me (if i was travelling with someone). i like to look out of the window the most.

rfr10
31-May-07, 20:27
Has anyone ever been on a bus for 4 hours or more? If so, how boring does it actually get if you're on your own?

angela5
31-May-07, 20:31
What happens if you forget the pen? :D

Use your imagination! Don't say what if you don't have one.:lol:

percy toboggan
31-May-07, 20:31
I'd read , or possibly just think. Look out of the window. Strike up a conversation with a fellow passenger, or the driver if sat alongside.
People who cannot endure a four hour bus trip without feeling 'bored' deserve our sympathy. Four hours is nowt.

Billy Boy
31-May-07, 20:32
Has anyone ever been on a bus for 4 hours or more? If so, how boring does it actually get if you're on your own?

but your never really alone, just speak to yourself :D

M.Funkenstein
31-May-07, 20:32
Uhmm....Listen to the IPod and play my trusty Game Boy.:D

rfr10
31-May-07, 20:34
I'd read , or possibly just think. Look out of the window. Strike up a conversation with a fellow passenger, or the driver if sat alongside.
People who cannot endure a four hour bus trip without feeling 'bored' deserve our sympathy. Four hours is nowt.

I've never been on a 4 hour bus trip before until this Saturday so don't know what it will be like and if I'll get bored or not. Music helps a bit so I'll be taking an MP3 player but eventually, I suppose I'll get bored of that. What's the scenery like between Inverness and Glasgow? Anything interesting to look at?

angela5
31-May-07, 20:34
or the driver if sat alongside.

That's right, distract the driver.[lol]

rfr10
31-May-07, 20:36
Uhmm....Listen to the IPod and play my trusty Game Boy.:D

Shall have to borrow your game boy then, give it to me tomorrow :Razz It will probably end up out the window but oh well, I'll pay you for it.. say.. £1 for all it might be worth lol

squeezy
31-May-07, 20:37
Yeah, like others I'd read - usually take a book plus a couple of magazines incase I got bored of one, play sudoku or other puzzles. I tend not to chat to fellow passengers - unless I know them. Now, eavesdropping, that's a different matter - that can entertain you for hours! Maybe play the games in my phone, or in days gone by, Tetris on the GameBoy :Razz Most of these rely on you not getting travel sick if you read, if you do, you are pretty much left with listening to music and taking in the scenery. Loads of people have portable DVD players now - maybe borrow one? To be honest, any kind of travel (bus, train, plane, car) knocks me out, so a lot of time I'd be dozing!

17hrs is the longest single bus journey I've done (twice in the same weekend - there and back!) - 4 hours is a synch.

M.Funkenstein
Shall have to borrow your game boy then, give it to me tomorrow :Razz It will probably end up out the window but oh well, I'll pay you for it.. say.. £1 for all it might be worth lol

£5 and it's your's for the keeping!

cuddlepop
When goes down to see his girlfriend in Glasgow the bus leaves Portree at 3 20 and doesn't get in till after 9 15.(6 hours )
he usually sleeps will listening to his ipod.
Its the sore bum he usually has a problem with not the boredom,cant sit comfortably for that lenght of time.
practice at home and you'll see what I mean.:lol:

rfr10
31-May-07, 20:39
On this topic.. Has anyone ever used Megabus from Inverness before? Is it only Megabuses that operate for the Megabus timetables or are there different ones? Like, say.. for Rapsons buses, sometimes it's CityLink you get. Is this the same with Megabus or is it and actual bus with Megabus written on it that you get. Also.. how do the change over times work. When one bus arrives in Perth, I get 5 minutes to change busses before the next one leaves. Is this usually long enough time and what if you have to look for the right bus?

Liz
31-May-07, 20:40
Just sit and daydream about the person you're off to see!!!:lol:

M.Funkenstein
31-May-07, 20:42
On this topic.. Has anyone ever used Megabus from Inverness before? Is it only Megabuses that operate for the Megabus timetables or are there different ones? Like, say.. for Rapsons buses, sometimes it's CityLink you get. Is this the same with Megabus or is it and actual bus with Megabus written on it that you get. Also.. how do the change over times work. When one bus arrives in Perth, I get 5 minutes to change busses before the next one leaves. Is this usually long enough time and what if you have to look for the right bus?

I'm pretty sure Megabus has it's own Bus's, Only went down till Glasgow once when I was really Wee but my dad didn't seem to have any problems:lol:

rfr10
31-May-07, 20:43
Just sit and daydream about the person you're off to see!!!

Now I wander who's been talking to you then ;) :Razz

Liz
31-May-07, 20:44
A little birdie told me! Ha ha!

Fluff
31-May-07, 20:44
i have used the megabus both from inverness and aberdeen (to london and back, 12 hours!!)

it is an actul megabus. often pretty full, mostly foreniers. the changeover is alright, not ideal. they stop, get your luggage off and you wait for the next one to come (between 5-30 mins)

take a pillow!

angela5
31-May-07, 20:45
I get 5 minutes to change busses before the next one leaves. Is this usually long enough time and what if you have to look for the right bus?

All the buses display there destination, to double check just ask the driver.

rfr10
31-May-07, 20:45
A little birdie told me! Ha ha!

Lol:D bet I can guess who :Razz

Liz
31-May-07, 20:47
Well actually it's quite a big birdie!!!lol

How long are you away for?

rfr10
31-May-07, 20:47
i have used the megabus both from inverness and aberdeen (to london and back, 12 hours!!)

it is an actul megabus. often pretty full, mostly foreniers. the changeover is alright, not ideal. they stop, get your luggage off and you wait for the next one to come (between 5-30 mins)

take a pillow!

Oh great, well won't be speaking to anyone on the bus then:Razz

The times I've got are..Depart Inverness at 11:10am..right, that's fine.

Then.. arrive in Perth (Broxden P&R) at 1:30pm.. Depart Perth at 1:35pm...

Surley that's going to be a quick change and will they allow you enough time to get on the next bus or is it not usually there when you arrive?

percy toboggan
31-May-07, 20:48
I've never been on a 4 hour bus trip before until this Saturday so don't know what it will be like and if I'll get bored or not. Music helps a bit so I'll be taking an MP3 player but eventually, I suppose I'll get bored of that. What's the scenery like between Inverness and Glasgow? Anything interesting to look at?

If you've never seen the scenery before then surely it's all interesting.To admit to 'boredom' means you have an empty head, and I don't think you have. Moving landscapes, whilst listening to music you like can be quite inspiring. I've driven about two million miles so maybe I'm just cut out for enjoying a certain monotony. My head/mind goes everywhere. Why not listen to speech radio like BBC R4 or Radio Scotland - maybe download some stuff from Radio 5. Movie reviews from the Mayo prog perhaps ? I 've only been 'bored' a handful of times in forty years , but the prospect you're faced with - ie..new experiences would excite me.

rfr10
31-May-07, 20:51
Well actually it's quite a big birdie!!!lol

How long are you away for?

Oh right! lol . This time I'm only away for the Saturday and part of the Sunday but in future, I'll be going down for a few days.. probably during the holidays.

Fluff
31-May-07, 20:51
it is sometimes there, sometimes not. it is in a carpark they drop you off/pick you up so there is no chance of you wandering off. just stay put.
you will need your booking/ticket info with you as theycheck you off as you board the bus. keep it handy, not in your suitcase.

rfr10
31-May-07, 20:54
If you've never seen the scenery before then surely it's all interesting.To admit to 'boredom' means you have an empty head, and I don't think you have. Moving landscapes, whilst listening to music you like can be quite inspiring. I've driven about two million miles so maybe I'm just cut out for enjoying a certain monotony. My head/mind goes everywhere. Why not listen to speech radio like BBC R4 or Radio Scotland - maybe download some stuff from Radio 5. Movie reviews from the Mayo prog perhaps ? I 've only been 'bored' a handful of times in forty years , but the prospect you're faced with - ie..new experiences would excite me.

Yea, I suppose you're totally right. But also a thing to ask.. I've noticed that some buses have TVs in them. Are they ever switched on?

Liz
31-May-07, 20:54
Oh long term is it?!!!:D

Don't worry about the buses. You're a bright lad and will be okay!

I went to Glasgow by bus (many years ago when I was young!:lol:) and it was fine even though my journey lasted 12 hours due to some mix up!!!!

obiron
31-May-07, 20:56

try travelling down to london from here on a bus. 4 hours aint that bad. [lol]

rfr10
31-May-07, 20:56
it is sometimes there, sometimes not. it is in a carpark they drop you off/pick you up so there is no chance of you wandering off. just stay put.
you will need your booking/ticket info with you as theycheck you off as you board the bus. keep it handy, not in your suitcase.

With the reservation number, all you need is the number isn't it? You don't need to have some special ticket printed off do you? I've just got the confirmation email they sent me printed off. Is that fine?

Fluff
31-May-07, 20:58
yeah thatwill be fine. i just wrote bown the reservation number in my notebook and showed it to the guy.

obiron
31-May-07, 20:58
forgot to say music and a good book always helps. as does an active imagination.

rfr10
31-May-07, 20:59
Oh long term is it?!!!

Don't worry about the buses. You're a bright lad and will be okay!

I went to Glasgow by bus (many years ago when I was young!) and it was fine even though my journey lasted 12 hours due to some mix up!!!!

Well I'm hoping so :D

I'll try not to worry :D Everyone on here's made me feel less nervous about it now thankfully. I just worry about not having enough time to get onto the next bus.

marylund2323
31-May-07, 21:01
lol i regulary travell down to leeds on the bus and train...17hrs.....basicaly u do absolutly nothing for that time...my advise is get a bike, or a car

Liz
31-May-07, 21:01
Sure you will be fine! I was quite nervous as well as it was the first time I had travelled alone but it worked out okay!

Five minutes will be plenty of time to get on the other bus or they would have allowed more time.

Have a great time!

rfr10
31-May-07, 21:04
Thanks everyone!!

rockchick
31-May-07, 21:38
Four hours on a bus is nothing...I took the bus from Vancouver to Toronto, non-stop - 3 1/2 days, or 84 hours!!! Eat, sleep, etc. on the bus. At the time it was an adventure, but today it would be a bit harder to bear...

caroline_glasgow
31-May-07, 22:09
im always on the bus!

in fact was on one last night,,,, yes i do have to say i get bored!

but then i bought a dvd player and its amazing!

5 mins is fine, the bus is usually not there, or if it is they usually wait
they know you are coming!

its fine

x

gollach
31-May-07, 23:58
Megabus changeovers can go quite well at Perth or they can be hellish! I can't read on a bus, it sways more than the train does and I feel sick if I try to followe the words.

iPod on the bus is always a good bet. Personally I prefer to try to sleep though. Take a thick jumper with you and use it as a pillow against the bus window to stop your head vibrating off the glass.

Also, be careful not to take the side of the bus that will have the sun shining in, makes for big headaches on a long trip.

Lolabelle
01-Jun-07, 02:03
I often get an audio book from the library for big trips, not that I use buses. But as Dave doesn't like to listen, I will take a portable tape or disc player. The story keeps you occupied, and you can still look out the window. ;)

the nomad
01-Jun-07, 11:57
Now, I know you lot will be thinking.. "What's this complete idiot on about now" but tell me.. if you're stuck on a bus for about four hours, what would you do to pass the time?

And, no I have not gone completely insane! ;)

Sleep and read very boring.

Angela
01-Jun-07, 12:46
I'd say music, and just look out of the window and think your own thoughts -especially if you're really looking forward to reaching your destination. :D

There's always something a bit different to see...one of the advantages of not driving. It's quite nice just to take time out -there's nothing else you can do really.

I always take a book with me though, and if it's a long bus/train trip I have a wee inflatable travel pillow so I can nod off in comfort! ;)

The Soft Parade
01-Jun-07, 13:15
I travelled from Wick to Glasgow on the train myself, it was pretty awful although I must confess the lager did help a bit (didn't have too many at £2 a can!)

mccaugm
01-Jun-07, 21:42

Bar the numb bum it sounds like bliss, I could get away from the ironing, kids mithering me, wondering when my hubby will be home for his tea, get a decent kip, forget about studying for a while, listen to my kind of music in peace, read a good book, read a trashy magazine, nibble junk food. Yup sounds good to me.

dunderheed
01-Jun-07, 22:14
if i ever travel down on the bus these days , i usually take a wee cairry oot. my kids have a porable dvd player for the car but latterly have taken paper and pencils to draw what they see.
im sure a young guy like you rfr can keep yourself occupied for 4 hours, why not take some stuff for studying (im assumeing your still in education) with you??

karia
01-Jun-07, 22:20
When goes down to see his girlfriend in Glasgow the bus leaves Portree at 3 20 and doesn't get in till after 9 15.(6 hours )
he usually sleeps will listening to his ipod.
Its the sore bum he usually has a problem with not the boredom,cant sit comfortably for that lenght of time.
practice at home and you'll see what I mean.:lol:

Never..Ever..tell a bloke that it's ok to sit on his bum for six hours!

It'll start a trend and we'll all be in trouble.:D

How's your lavender ?

Love Karia

rfr10
01-Jun-07, 22:20
if i ever travel down on the bus these days , i usually take a wee cairry oot. my kids have a porable dvd player for the car but latterly have taken paper and pencils to draw what they see.
im sure a young guy like you rfr can keep yourself occupied for 4 hours, why not take some stuff for studying (im assumeing your still in education) with you??

I think I need to buy a portable DVD player. Yes, I'm still in education but I'm not sure studying would make me less bored :Razz I'll probably end up looking out the window with music, being careful not to fall asleep incase I forget to get off the bus!

floyed
01-Jun-07, 22:47
It is very boring being on a bus for 4 hours or more i usually take some music to listening to a book is good or just sleep.

Always take a drink with you, i went from Wick to Inverness on the bus and forgot to take one it was terrible!! Not a nice journey when your dying of thirst.

The toilets are horrible too, trying to hover going round all the bends takes some skill:lol:

I personally would rather take the train even tho it takes longer its a more comfortable trip:D

Ricco
02-Jun-07, 20:16
Look at the stunning girl 3 seats forward and in the next aisle and day-dream about chatting her up. Miles and miles have passed by in such a fashion. ;)

crayola
03-Jun-07, 00:22
Look at the stunning girl 3 seats forward and in the next aisle and day-dream about chatting her up. Miles and miles have passed by in such a fashion. ;)You should have said hello. I don't bite. Unless you're a w0ck.

canuck
03-Jun-07, 03:22
You should have said hello. ...

No, no, no! The day dreaming was the important time waster.

EDDIE
03-Jun-07, 11:56
i usually fall a sleep and listen to music i find it very easy to fall a sleep maybey its a guy thing.

percy toboggan
03-Jun-07, 18:04
It is very boring being on a bus for 4 hours or more i usually take some music to listening to a book is good or just sleep.

Always take a drink with you, i went from Wick to Inverness on the bus and forgot to take one it was terrible!! Not a nice journey when your dying of thirst.

The toilets are horrible too, trying to hover going round all the bends takes some skill:lol:

I personally would rather take the train even tho it takes longer its a more comfortable trip:D

Mild hardship is character building.
Sounds like you have a way to go.
Nothing to moisten your pallet for two whole hours ?Dying of thirst?
Get a grip, or some decent saliva glands.

canuck
03-Jun-07, 18:27
Oh right! lol . This time I'm only away for the Saturday and part of the Sunday ...

So, how did it go?

Did you sleep, read, day-dream, watch the scenery, chat with the other riders or find another way to pass the time? Let us know what worked so we might learn from your experience. Most of us have these long haul travels from time to time.

Angela
03-Jun-07, 18:44
So, how did it go?

Did you sleep, read, day-dream, watch the scenery, chat with the other riders or find another way to pass the time? Let us know what worked so we might learn from your experience. Most of us have these long haul travels from time to time.

I know you weren't on a bus canuck, but on your recent trip home, did you wonder how to pass the time, or were you too excited and full of anticipation? Did the hours just fly (sorry!;)) past?

I've made a few journeys I still remember really savouring! :)

cuddlepop
03-Jun-07, 21:32
Never..Ever..tell a bloke that it's ok to sit on his bum for six hours!

It'll start a trend and we'll all be in trouble.:D

How's your lavender ?

Love Karia
The stems seem to have stopped rotting,its really weird whats happening.
Must be the cats ,maybe there attracted to the smell of the lavander..
Its funny my X done nothing but sit on his bum when he wasn't working,the new improved model cant sit still.The only time he sits still for any lenght of time is when he's driving.:eek:

rfr10
04-Jun-07, 16:04
So, how did it go?

basically, I sat and looked out the window. Wasn't bored at all surprisingly.

crayola
05-Jun-07, 00:04
No, no, no! The day dreaming was the important time waster.Dreaming is cool, chatting is cooler.

How was your w/e rfr? What did she show you in our fair city?