PDA

View Full Version : Achvarasdal

Helen Gibson
26-Apr-18, 19:37
I see that there are plans to close this care home, which must be one of the oldest. Anyone know when it opened... it was certainly functioning in the early 1960s.

poppett
27-Apr-18, 19:43
We moved to Thurso in 1959 and I don`t remember Achvarasdal being anything other than an "Eventide Home".

I wonder what will happen to the ride on mower we donated to them a couple of years ago when the place closes down??? Just curious.

Mosser
27-Apr-18, 21:43
I think that it opened in the very early 1950s, I seem to remember some controversy at the time about it being too remote for the elderly
and that a home for that end of the county would be better situated in Thurso.

jimbews
28-Apr-18, 00:10
I think that it opened in the very early 1950s, I seem to remember some controversy at the time about it being too remote for the elderly
and that a home for that end of the county would be better situated in Thurso.

Google (and the JoG) is your friend:
https://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Your-Community/Diamond-d-for-Archvarasdal-residents-22062ay.htm
so opened in 1951.

I remember visiting there quite regularly with ridiculous numbers of passengers (from the Central/West Churches) in Dad's A35 van.
Then run by the Patmore husband and wife team: retired tea planters from what I remember.

crayola
19-May-18, 15:34
I used to tag along with my pal when she visited her grandmother there. They always had a super display of daffodils in the spring.