PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Soap Opera

mccaugm
31-May-07, 13:26
What is your favourite British soap opera and why?

I love them all but think that Emmerdale is getting better and better.

angela5
31-May-07, 13:34
I voted Hollyoaks passes a boring sunday morning when i watch a whole weeks worth.:lol:

I used to watch Emmerdale but the long dragged out 'who dunnit'( Tom King murder) was seriously annoying me. Anyway have they reached the episode when they finally reveal the murderer yet?

mccaugm
31-May-07, 13:36
I voted Hollyoaks passes a boring sunday morning when i watch a whole weeks worth.:lol:

I used to watch Emmerdale but the long dragged out 'who dunnit'( Tom King murder) was seriously annoying me. Anyway have they reached the episode when they finally reveal the murderer yet?

It was Carl King but only the King brothers currently know that at the moment.

angela5
31-May-07, 13:38
It was Carl King but only the King brothers currently know that at the moment.

Crikey is it still being dragged out. I think Dallas revealed 'who shot JR' quicker.[lol]

Billy Boy
31-May-07, 14:26
a wee question to all you soap lovers, do you believe that the story in what ever soap opera you watch is true?
because I swear mrs bb does, going by all the ranting and raveing she does when she watch's emmerdale:eek:

and whats worse, when we were in yorkshire last year on holiday i got dragged of to see the old woolpack and got made to take her photo outside it and inside, I didnt know wether to laugh or cry so i just did both:lol:

Angela
31-May-07, 14:29
I used to watch Eastenders, but have given up because the storylines are dragged out for so long it's got desperately boring.

There's no suspense, you know what coming for weeks. You can read about the next "shock horror" event in the papers long before you see it on TV.

I have to admit that after being in hopsital for a very long time last year, I started watching Holby City and Casualty. Sometimes!

They make me feel so glad not to be in hospital! :lol:

floyed
31-May-07, 14:57
I have voted for Eastenders, i have been watching it for years and think its great. The story line at the moment with Max and Stacey is brilliant and has kept me on the edge of my sofa waiting to see what happens next!!:)

mccaugm
31-May-07, 15:34
I used to watch Eastenders, but have given up because the storylines are dragged out for so long it's got desperately boring.

There's no suspense, you know what coming for weeks. You can read about the next "shock horror" event in the papers long before you see it on TV.

I have to admit that after being in hopsital for a very long time last year, I started watching Holby City and Casualty. Sometimes!

They make me feel so glad not to be in hospital! :lol:

I love Holby City and Casualty...have watched Casualty since Charlie Fairhead turned up in his leather flying Jacket, still sporting a half decent mullet. Holby City would love to watch more but it clashes with The Bill....which I also adore.
I have to say that in both Casualty and Holby CIty staff continue their conversations and disregard their patients. Having worked in hospitals in the past, sister would have blasted us for ignoring patients like that.

Angela
31-May-07, 15:50
I love Holby City and Casualty...have watched Casualty since Charlie Fairhead turned up in his leather flying Jacket, still sporting a half decent mullet. Holby City would love to watch more but it clashes with The Bill....which I also adore.
I have to say that in both Casualty and Holby CIty staff continue their conversations and disregard their patients. Having worked in hospitals in the past, sister would have blasted us for ignoring patients like that.

Must say my recent experiences were pretty much like a soap opera! Sister was not often present (usually trapped in her office).

Staff certainly did carry on conversations as if you didn't exist - not even about you, but about stuff like the last episode of Desperate Housewives, what their holiday/wedding plans were, problems they were having with their kids and their OHs....a fair bit of grumbling about shifts and rotas too.

When I was feeling a bit better I just joined in, anything to alleviate the boredom over the months, and I got really interested in them all.:lol:

Yup, very like a soap opera really! Quite entertaining and addictive. I often wonder what the outcome to some of their storylines has been? :roll:

candyfloss
31-May-07, 16:31
Emmerdale has to be my fav, but i like Hollyoaks and Doctors too, use to watch Eastenders and Coronation st years ago but i got fed up with them.

rfr10
31-May-07, 16:48
Glad to see you got the poll working. I voted for don't like soap operas.

mccaugm
31-May-07, 17:04
Glad to see you got the poll working. I voted for don't like soap operas.

Yeah tried yesterday when it was more relevant i.e the Soap Awards were on but no joy. Thanks for voting.

Sandra_B
31-May-07, 17:22
I used to watch Eastenders until the despicable Mitchell brothers turned back up last year, that was the end of it for me.

Emmerdale dragged out the murder far too long.

So now it's only Corrie for me.

Sporran
31-May-07, 17:32
What is your favourite British soap opera and why?

I love them all but think that Emmerdale is getting better and better.

I'm not too much into soap operas, but I did enjoy "Doctors", so I voted for that. I haven't seen it for ages, because it's not currently on TV over here. When I last saw it, Christopher Timothy played Dr Brendan "Mac" McGuire. I also liked him as vet James Herriot in "All Creatures Great and Small". :)

I worked as a member of the support staff in a medical centre for 10 years at one time, so that might explain why I liked "Doctors" so much! :D

Lolabelle
31-May-07, 17:42
I started watching Emmadale when it first came on pay TV, but they changed the time and I don't seem to get to see it any more. But I liked it when I watched it. I used to love Corination Street years ago. Watched it at 11am everymorning. I was working in a restaurant and started at 4pm.

percy toboggan
31-May-07, 18:41
'The Archers' ...why no radio choice? The pictures are so much better.
All of the others hold no interest for me. I watched Coronation Street for thirty odd years but never do so anymore. Eastenders? No thanks. Emmerdale? Why? The others are of similarly little consequence to me.I have a life of my own and no wish to follow fictional characters in a variety of bizzare situations and moral dilemmas - other than the countryfolk of Ambridge. Thanks for asking though , it's always nice to canvassed.

obiron
31-May-07, 21:00
cant be bothered with soaps now. dip in and out of hollyoaks now and again.

caroline
31-May-07, 21:20
You have missed the great soap opera from the West of Scotland River City, mccaugm, should have been on the poll as it is well watched and the ratings are going up all the time especially in Scotland.

johno
31-May-07, 21:23
Crikey is it still being dragged out. I think Dallas revealed 'who shot JR' quicker.[lol]
who was jr???

anneoctober
31-May-07, 21:24
Have voted for Emmerdale. I agree the "whodunnit" dragged on too long, but Carl? Do me a favour, it should have been Len, all for the love of Edna - sorry Pearl !;)

angela5
31-May-07, 21:28
who was jr???

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/de/J.R..JPG/220px-J.R..JPG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:J.R..JPG)

JR Ewing played by Larry Hagman

christina
31-May-07, 22:45
nothin happy happens in eastenders is morbid sometimes:(

dunderheed
01-Jun-07, 10:39
You have missed the great soap opera from the West of Scotland River City, mccaugm, should have been on the poll as it is well watched and the ratings are going up all the time especially in Scotland.

must be a west coast thing caroline , i haven't missed many episodes since it started almost 5 years ago(yes that long , the first show was on the 1st anniverssary of 9/11) .

Victoria
01-Jun-07, 10:41
it used to be Eastenders but now Emmerdale is my fav. I took part in that murder hunt thing too.

nanoo
01-Jun-07, 12:26
Voted for 'Coronation Street' myself. I think it's the best soap of them all and i can never understand why from time to time 'Eastenders' gets the best soap award as it has to be the most depressing programme on tv. If your not depressed when you start to watch it you most certainly are by the finish. I also love 'Emmerdale' and of course 'Neighbours' and 'Home and Away' as well. You can tell i like my soaps eh? Ha Ha.

mccaugm
01-Jun-07, 16:22

Sorry about that - an oversite on my part ..on a personal note think its the most inane garbage on the T.V. at the moment and am surprised it is given airtime. I watched the first episode and cringed all the way through.

crayola
03-Jun-07, 00:20
River City is EastEnders with patois and pastiche. There's never been a soap star like Roisin.

WeeBurd
03-Jun-07, 00:24
River City is EastEnders with patois and pastiche. There's never been a soap star like Roisin.

In the 'Burd hoose, River City is alway referred to in the style of Sir Sean Connery.

Now, think about it...;) [lol].

crayola
03-Jun-07, 00:36
So the nuances are lost on you then?