PDA

View Full Version : Disabled

weebear_07
31-May-07, 00:36
Living with a disabled partner it infuriates me when people use the disabled spaces when they do not have badges. Went shopping at Somerfield today and all the disabled spaces were full. Not one car parked there had a disabled badge, mind you it was raining, god forbid that they get wet going into the shop. The guy that parked next to us well away from the shop had great difficulty walking. This really makes me angry that the people that need the spaces cannot get to use them. Supermarkets should have someone to patrol their car parks and put stickers or something on these cars to shame these people.

changilass
31-May-07, 00:38
I wouldn't put stickers on, I would just get them towed away[disgust]

Fran
31-May-07, 00:40
I agree with you. But sometimes there are not enough disabled parking bays. i parked in an Inverness car park where the only four disabled bays were taken so i parked elsewhere in the car park with the disabled badge showing and got a big fine which i willl not pay.

hotrod4
31-May-07, 07:56
I agree, it is so infuriating.
I am not disabled but have a young child and need the "parent and child " parking spaces when we go shopping,etc. Everytime i go to somerfield i find it hard to get in as there are always cars there but very rarely with a child seat in.I find this smacks of laziness rather than any malice.It is so annoying when i have to park away from the store when someone who doesnt need it for the purpose its invented for then swans out of the shop with 1 small carrier bag!!!!.

Although my situation is not as needy and i can live with it, i absolutely DETEST seeing people use disabled parking spaces who shouldnt and always look for the badge, my wife thinks im a bit like a mini traffic warden but it seems he never checks the badges! so someone has to.
I find a shake of the head and a look of shame towards the guitly parties is normally enough to embaress them which is the very least they deserve!!

cuddlepop
31-May-07, 08:37
Its one of my bug bears too.

We're in the process of having a new high school built here and a temporary car park had to be put in.Its a proper car park with bay's marked and four disabled bay's have been clearly marked.The school mini buses park in them,now what kind of example is that:mad:

lassieinfife
31-May-07, 08:56
In most cases if you mention problem at customer services desk they often announce it over tannoy that cars parked in disabled spaces without disabled badges will be subject to fines......:lol:

Angela
31-May-07, 09:02
Someone does patrol the cark park at our local supermarket and calls out the description and number plate of offending cars over the tannoy.
I imagine it might make some folk think twice the next time. :confused
There usually just aren't enough disabled parking bays imo, which makes it all the worse that able-bodied folk are selfish and anti-social enough to make use of them.[evil]

mums angels
31-May-07, 11:22
Living with a disabled partner it infuriates me when people use the disabled spaces when they do not have badges. Went shopping at Somerfield today and all the disabled spaces were full. Not one car parked there had a disabled badge, mind you it was raining, god forbid that they get wet going into the shop. The guy that parked next to us well away from the shop had great difficulty walking. This really makes me angry that the people that need the spaces cannot get to use them. Supermarkets should have someone to patrol their car parks and put stickers or something on these cars to shame these people.

What annoys me is when someone with a disabled sticker parks in a disabled space just so that they can drop their wife off to do her shopping whilst he sat and waited ....:~(

whilst my disabled father in law had to park further away and walk the long way to the shops.

oh and what else is annoying is people who park in parent and child when they have no children with them,the point of parent and child parking is not to be closer to the shops its supposed to mean that its safer as there are no roads to cross :(

rfr10
31-May-07, 12:42
Here's something I haven't quite figured out- why are the disabled parking spaces at Lidls in Wick as far away from the shop as possible?

angela5
31-May-07, 12:44
Why do people persist in parking in the disabled bays at the coop just to pop to the cashline.

wifie
31-May-07, 14:35
The world is full of selfish pigs! I think they should be shamed with a big gooey sticker - nothing that would damage their car but would take ages to get off. Might make them think twice.

burstbucker
31-May-07, 15:00
The disabled spaces can be as far away as 45m from the entrance door to meet building regulations.

jings00
31-May-07, 15:13
The misuse of disabled parking places does my head in also. Not enough is done to check the lazy gits who misuse them. If they take the disabled parking spaces, take the disablity also, see how they get on then.

jinglejangle
31-May-07, 20:52
another thing that annoys me though is when disabled people park in the mother and toddler spaces..........

sam
31-May-07, 21:23
i think if folk are going park in the disabled section without a sticker their car should be clamped and they should have to pay a fine before the clamp comes off, They would soon think twice about doing it.
The same goes for folk who dont have kids yet park in the parent & child spaces[disgust]

smirnoff
31-May-07, 22:13
What annoys me is people with disabled parking bays outside their homes and then leave a large trailer parked in the bay instead of the car which takes up another space that another resident could use.

Solus
31-May-07, 22:18
What annoys me is people with disabled parking bays outside their homes and then leave a large trailer parked in the bay instead of the car

One character on my street got his knickers in a twist over not being able to park in front of his house saying " i have lived here for x amount of years " blah blah , so he went and got a disabled parking space at his door ! but he can manage to park his car in a lock up at night and walk home............ about half a mile away !!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh and then sit in his back yard and pratice his golf swing !!

so it can be abused in other ways to !

But if you see someone parking in a disabled space when not displaying a badge, tell them !

SNOWDOG
31-May-07, 23:17
Try parking in front of Caithness General. Today i saw a works van and trailer, what looked like an abandoned camper van and various vehicles in the allocated spaces. Guess what, not a disabled badge amongst them. Badge holders and Oaps cant even park nearby because 'certain types' leave their cars all around the front entrance!! [evil] [evil]

changilass
31-May-07, 23:19
Try parking in front of Caithness General. Today i saw a works van and trailer, what looked like an abandoned camper van and various vehicles in the allocated spaces. Guess what, not a disabled badge amongst them. Badge holders and Oaps cant even park nearby because 'certain types' leave their cars all around the front entrance!! [evil] [evil]

You must have been there at about the same time as me, I followed the camper van into the hospital, but parked in the overflow carpark.

SNOWDOG
31-May-07, 23:31
We were in and out a few times today and at one point there was three of us. This unfortunatly blocks the the whole front of the hospital due to illegally parked vehicles! [mad]

Angela
01-Jun-07, 09:37
i think if folk are going park in the disabled section without a sticker their car should be clamped and they should have to pay a fine before the clamp comes off, They would soon think twice about doing it.
The same goes for folk who dont have kids yet park in the parent & child spaces

My feelings exactly, sam, but I don't think they could be clamped legally. Unfortunately.:(

I don't think that a bright red sticker saying "I'm a selfish pig" stuck firmly onto one of their rear windows would be illegal though -quite a lot of private car parks use these stickers to point out you've parked where you shouldn't have, and they are absolute hell to get off! [lol]

Victoria
01-Jun-07, 10:15
My 25 year old friend has got a disabled badge and nearly evey time I've been with her she gets someone trying to have a go at her for parking in a disabled spot.

When she points out her badge some of them dont even belive her then!! Although they soon look embarressed when she gets out of the car with her stick.

Don't judge a book by its cover!!

Moira
03-Jun-07, 00:47
What annoys me is when someone with a disabled sticker parks in a disabled space just so that they can drop their wife off to do her shopping whilst he sat and waited ....:~(

whilst my disabled father in law had to park further away and walk the long way to the shops.

=&quot;11&quot; class=&quot;inlineimg&quot; /></p>
I have a huge problem with disabled badges though I can see where you're coming from Mum's Angels. Does your disabled father in law not have a badge? In my case, I often display a disabled badge on the dashboard of my car & park in disabled spaces in order to allow my elderly & disabled passenger to go the the Post Office, Bank, paper shop etc. I sit in the car, waiting .. and often suffer questioning looks & remarks and have been questioned also by the Traffic Warden (rightly so I may add)Fact is my passenger has family & friends living nearby who would willingly go do all shopping, banking etc. for her. The other fact is is that she prefers to do it for herself - it gets her out of the house for a while & makes her feel more independent. Therefore, I will continue to smile at the frowns & nasty remarks directed at me parked in a disabled space - it's worth it :)

Sandra_B
03-Jun-07, 09:42
Moira, could you not drop them at the door, park elsewhere and pick them up at the door when they're ready?

Angela
03-Jun-07, 11:14
Moira, could you not drop them at the door, park elsewhere and pick them up at the door when they're ready?

I see your point Sandra, but I think when you're disabled, you can need the security of knowing where your driver and car are when you ARE ready -and it needs to be close by.

If Moira's passenger was a disabled driver, she would be entitled to park in a disabled space, and Moira as her driver, is entitled to as well.

A friend of mine is allowed to display a disabled badge when his son is with him in the car, because his son has a serious heart condition and can't walk far without getting very breathless. His son can't drive. They sometimes get odd looks from folk who don't know them, because neither of them looks disabled -no walking aids etc.

So long as my friend doesn't use the badge when he's on his own, it's perfectly legal (and I believe, morally right) for him to either accompany his son into shops and park the car in a disabled space, or wait in the car for him. I don't see why there should be any problem with that! :)

However, I do think we need a greater number of disabled spaces overall. It's so much better if people with disabilities can get out and about and lead as normal a life as possible.

ashaw1
03-Jun-07, 11:28
My mum has one of these badges and as far as i can remember it does state in the guidance notes that come with the badge that the badge should not be used for an able bodied person to sit in the car and wait for the disabled passenger. The main problem is that the whole system is open to abuse and is on a very regular basis.

Angela
03-Jun-07, 11:43
My mum has one of these badges and as far as i can remember it does state in the guidance notes that come with the badge that the badge should not be used for an able bodied person to sit in the car and wait for the disabled passenger. The main problem is that the whole system is open to abuse and is on a very regular basis.

I must have got that wrong then...or my friend has! But would it be OK if the driver got out of the car as well? It's not very logical, is it? :confused

I agree that the system is abused, unfortunately. But sometimes folk can think a person's abusing the system because, although they do have a disability, it's not immediately obvious. :(

I really only have a problem with perfectly able-bodied people selfishly parking in disabled places while they do their own shopping.

_Ju_
03-Jun-07, 17:07
another thing that annoys me though is when disabled people park in the mother and toddler spaces..........

Why?:confused Being a mother did not give me special needs. Being a mother did not make it painful to walk or difficult to see or give me any mobility problems. Carrying a baby a few extra meters would not put me into agony. Priority has to be given to the person with a disability and if they cannot find a reserved space for themselves, then they should make use of the best they can find, even be it a parent/toddler space.

jinglejangle
03-Jun-07, 19:55
Why?:confused Being a mother did not give me special needs. Being a mother did not make it painful to walk or difficult to see or give me any mobility problems. Carrying a baby a few extra meters would not put me into agony. Priority has to be given to the person with a disability and if they cannot find a reserved space for themselves, then they should make use of the best they can find, even be it a parent/toddler space.

my post should have been made clearer - it annoys me when people who do not have children park in these spaces! as a mum of 2 it is sometimes difficult to get both doors open enough to get the children out of their car seats [or back in] if there are cars parked either side - that is why mother and child parking spaces are made bigger! however if you wish to give me your car number plate I will happily park beside your car when trying to get both children out of their seats [and try my best not to scratch your car at same time!]

Tony
03-Jun-07, 20:30
I have an elderly neighbour that is wheel chair bound and only has the use of one arm. I take her shopping once a week and I park in a disabled bay without a badge while doing so. I park in the bay, obtain a wheel chair and take her around the shop while she points out items etc and eventually put her and the shopping in the car and take her home. This is the only time she gets out and enjoys her shopping trips. I do some times take her out at other times. The point is just because a badge is not on display does not mean it is used by a selfish pig as the passenger may be disabled. The bay is required as the normal space is too narrow to put her in the wheel chair and vice versa. I do not park in these bays at other times.

Moira
03-Jun-07, 22:57

Sometimes I do - but sometimes it's not feasible.

I see your point Sandra, but I think when you're disabled, you can need the security of knowing where your driver and car are when you ARE ready -and it needs to be close by. If Moira's passenger was a disabled driver, she would be entitled to park in a disabled space, and Moira as her driver, is entitled to as well.... <snip>

Yes Angela - you are so right. Some days, the very fact that I am parked right outside helps the confidence of my passenger. On other "better" days, we park in the ordinary parking bays & my passenger often puts me to shame with her energy :lol:

If this is the case then I've got it all wrong. It sticks in my mind that it's not permitted to park in a disabled space, leave the disabled passenger in the car and go do their shopping/errand for them. I'll check this out however. A look at the Blue Badge system on the Highland.gov FAQ's does not clear up this question, so I'll ask my passenger to give me a look at the Guidance Notes which came with the Badge.

poppett
04-Jun-07, 15:49
Tony, why not ask your passenger to apply for a blue badge, then you could display it and park in the disabled bay and not cause offence.

Fran
05-Jun-07, 02:13
you can leave a disabled person in the car while displaying the blue badge as long as you are off on an errand for that disabled person.You can also park in the disabled space while doing this. you can also use the diabled persons car, with blue badge displayed, without that person in the car, as long as you are doing an errand for that person like shopping, getting a prescription etc.

marty123
05-Jun-07, 13:01
Hi all, i don't actually post to often on this forum more a browser to keep up with the local crack etc.

Just thought i would share this with you all, after finally getting a Blue badge, it took over two years, i think the main hindress was me being in full time work and not claiming any benifts!! I have had many a funny stare and a few snide remarks (Thurso shopping can be such a pleasure), i have not actually bothered going to certain shops because the spaces are full!! My main grievance is with all the do gooders, they my be thinking they are doing the right thing having a go at people whom they think are parking in the wrong places, but i tell you this am really tempted the next time someone has i go at me for parking in a disabled space, am going to take my badge and stick it right up.................

Thats if i can catch them!! So to everyone blue badge holder or not, have a little paitence because if i could be in a 'normal' persons shoes for five minutes i would run to the shops!!!!

Torvaig
05-Jun-07, 13:34
Hi all, i don't actually post to often on this forum more a browser to keep up with the local crack etc.

Just thought i would share this with you all, after finally getting a Blue badge, it took over two years, i think the main hindress was me being in full time work and not claiming any benifts!! I have had many a funny stare and a few snide remarks (Thurso shopping can be such a pleasure), i have not actually bothered going to certain shops because the spaces are full!! My main grievance is with all the do gooders, they my be thinking they are doing the right thing having a go at people whom they think are parking in the wrong places, but i tell you this am really tempted the next time someone has i go at me for parking in a disabled space, am going to take my badge and stick it right up.................

Thats if i can catch them!! So to everyone blue badge holder or not, have a little paitence because if i could be in a 'normal' persons shoes for five minutes i would run to the shops!!!!

Well said Marty; not everyone who is disabled has obvious evidence of it and some people do judge before they know the facts. Maybe we should go back to the days of "unclean! unclean!" ;)

marty123
05-Jun-07, 13:37
You calling me unclean LMAO

Torvaig
05-Jun-07, 13:50
:lol:........................

rockchick
05-Jun-07, 14:04
you can leave a disabled person in the car while displaying the blue badge as long as you are off on an errand for that disabled person.You can also park in the disabled space while doing this. you can also use the diabled persons car, with blue badge displayed, without that person in the car, as long as you are doing an errand for that person like shopping, getting a prescription etc.

While I can appreciate this is acting within "the rules", doesn't it defeat the purpose of the disabled bays, namely to allow those that aren't physically capable a helping hand with their mobility. To allow able-bodied people who happen to be helping out disabled people the same privilege just seems to flaunt the principle. I would hate to think that someone who was disabled themselves was deprived of the last space because of a scenario like this.

Angela
05-Jun-07, 14:24
Here in Edinburgh, paid carers who visit people to provide personal care are trying to get an entitlement to blue badges, because their service is essential for many disabled and elderly people, and in most cases is dependent on the carer having a car to get from client to client.

At present, their employer (either the Council or agencies used by the council) covers the cost of parking.

However, if the carer gets a parking fine - because they're held up with a client and inadvertently overstay the time, or sometimes simply can't find anywhere they can legally park, but have to take a chance in order to provide this essential service, they are personally liable to pay the parking fine incurred. :(

Tony
05-Jun-07, 21:14
Tony, why not ask your passenger to apply for a blue badge, then you could display it and park in the disabled bay and not cause offence.
Many thanks Poppett. I'll see if I can arrange for one.:D