PDA

View Full Version : Drink Drugs and Doctors

gleeber
13-Jun-05, 09:26
The BMA (British Medical Association) are calling on the government to take action after it was reported that as many as 1 in 15 doctors may be addicted to alcohol or drugs.
Personally I think the BMA have a cheek to pass the buck on this one.
Alcohol and drugs are no respecter of occupations, whther professional or labourer.
They want to blame stress and workplace conditions for the problem. I would suggest if that was the problem then their own training methods may be at fault.
There are an abundance of other factors they conveniently avoid when they consider the problem. Their own part in the equation and all the personal histories including prejudices etc are further up the list in my book.
Most people I have spoken to with an addiction will admit to having an addictive personality. In fact, the truth is most people to a greater or lesser degree will have a part in their personality that cries out for more. Its the cause of all addictions. Whether its alcohol addiction, drug addiction, eating addiction, internet addiction or whatever.
The drug is only a symptom of the problem. Just like unruly children in the classroom are a symptom of a wider problem, or the teacher blaming everyone but themselves is another problem or someone reacting to an innocuous post on Caithness.org is a symptom of a deeper problem in them.
My solution would be as a part of a doctors training they could do an hour a week on Freuds couch to prepare them for the real world they will encounter when they qualify and give them more choice to spend the £100,000+ they will pocket for their troubles.

katarina
13-Jun-05, 09:29
It's a lot mote serious when doctors have an addiction - they are playing with human lives!