PDA

View Full Version : Barrock exchange broadband

garycs
22-Mar-18, 22:01
Just wondering if anyone whose phone line goes through the Barrock exchange has experienced regular broadband outages over the past two weeks. My provider says Openreach keep turning it off whilst working on upgrading, has anybody else heard this?

Headwark
23-Mar-18, 10:14
Hi Gary mine has been out nearly every night for the past two weeks. I am not sure how it works because my neighbours still had internet.

selwyn
23-Mar-18, 10:29
We are the same most nights about 9pm we lose the internet PlusNet are looking into it

garycs
23-Mar-18, 18:37
Call me cynical but it seems to be switched off when it's too late to get any help from customer services. My provider, SSE, is due to call with an update tonight but even if it's Openreach causing the problem we're still not getting the service we're paying for so I'll be demanding a refund for each day it's gone off.

johndh
23-Mar-18, 19:03
Call me cynical but it seems to be switched off when it's too late to get any help from customer services. My provider, SSE, is due to call with an update tonight but even if it's Openreach causing the problem we're still not getting the service we're paying for so I'll be demanding a refund for each day it's gone off.

I was with SSE/BT but I've just put a cease order though. I've put up with this substandard service for 10 years or so. At one time it was better by far than what is served up just now. The guys at SSE have done their best, but, they are limited as they are a retailer only and it is only they with whom I have a contract with. i.e. BT/OpenReach dont give a fig. On wards and upwards. I've been trialling mobile internet and found that I get more work done in the same amount of time because I'm not waiting for slow data transfer, and on the mobile the call quality is dam near HiFi, let alone WiFi.

r.rackstraw
23-Mar-18, 22:11
I am on Barrock exchange and have had no problems.

veekay
25-Mar-18, 11:02
I am on Barrock exchanged and have problems all the time. Very slow (I can't call it speed), drops out, just silly. I was told that it is because they are working on superfast stuff and that when this happens we can expect a drop in speed of about 0.5 whatevertheyares. Which is great as I only get 0.8 whatevertheyares at the very best of times - down hill with the wind behind them.

Dog-eared
25-Mar-18, 17:58
Over at Greenland we were getting 22mbps nine years ago. Now its 1 to 2 mbps.

dx100uk
26-Mar-18, 00:15
http://www.hie.co.uk/regional-information/digital-highlands-and-islands/can-i-get-it.html#

garron28
26-Mar-18, 07:55
Yes I've been having problems with my broadband in the past two weeks also. Had no connection for 3 days, then it went off at 7pm one night for 4 hours and another night went off at 10pm and didn't come on til next morning. Causes much disruption. When are we supposed to be getting the super fast fibre broadband that we've all been promised in rural areas??

Headwark
27-Mar-18, 19:49
The past few nights I have lost my internet again this has been going on for weeks. Now today it is working so slow it is worse than it was 20 years ago.I have tried letting EE know but they have done nothing .

veekay
28-Mar-18, 11:29
Lots of interesting information dx100uk and all pointless for me at any rate. Apparently they are in my area but upgrading is proving challenging and it is unlikely that any upgrade will be within the next 12 months. Having been told something similar by so many for so long I am guessing hell will freeze over before anything happens at cabinet 2 Barrock exchange

TractorJack
28-Mar-18, 15:15
Not on Barrock exchange but a neighboring one. Just of phone with our provider and in their words " Problem is with older exchanges and congestion". In other words exchange does not have capacity for current demand. Answer use at times of less demand or ? wait for fibre.

Shaggy
28-Mar-18, 16:15
When i lived in a small rural village a few years ago, i got the same response from BT, citing that it was an old exchange and not enough capacity so often overloaded. I hit them with the "that may be but you still charge me for a normal service and charge the same price as everyone else pays so why aren't you providing me with the same service. There is no excuse for it, they are taking the money and providing an inferior service. I ended up with free line rental for seven months. Still wasn't a great solution but at least i didn't have to pay for the poor service. They were quick to hike the price though when it was upgraded, tried charging me a week early too but wasn't having any of that and told them on the phone. I was so glad to be shot of BT, never again will i use them as a telephone/internet provider

dx100uk
28-Mar-18, 18:20
Lots of interesting information dx100uk and all pointless for me at any rate. Apparently they are in my area but upgrading is proving challenging and it is unlikely that any upgrade will be within the next 12 months. Having been told something similar by so many for so long I am guessing hell will freeze over before anything happens at cabinet 2 Barrock exchange
Cabinets 1 and 3 are live. Two additional cabinets are built and going through the process. Some additional coverage is in planning.

about 3 weeks I'm told

dx

dx100uk
28-Mar-18, 23:46
hot off the press

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/countdown-to-high-speed-broadband-for-all-begins--2

veekay
02-Apr-18, 07:06
Still won't be holding my breath. There are problems with the line to the property that they won't rectify because it would cost too much. I think I will just have to learn how to use smoke signals!

dx100uk
02-Apr-18, 20:00
how far are you from cabinet 2 and is it over ground lines?

what are the issues with the line?

johndh
03-Apr-18, 08:55
Off Topic

dx100uk, do you or anyone else, have any experience of mimo antenna. I have a Nighthawk M1 router and get 4G+ with one or two signal bars. Could do with a little lift, and I also want to use the router when out and about in the caravan.

Follow up from my post earlier. I've jumped in with both feet, put a cease on my BT line and gone fully mobile. I'm very happy so far.

Thanks folks ;-)

veekay
03-Apr-18, 13:15
About six miles from the exchange dx100uk and the line is underground. As to what the problems are with our line depends on who is telling us, the most often told problem (6 out of about 14 ) is that it is over half a mile long and made up of a mixture if cables - copper and aluminium - plus the fact that there is only us. See what i mean

dx100uk
03-Apr-18, 21:16
Off Topic

dx100uk, do you or anyone else, have any experience of mimo antenna. I have a Nighthawk M1 router and get 4G+ with one or two signal bars. Could do with a little lift, and I also want to use the router when out and about in the caravan.

Follow up from my post earlier. I've jumped in with both feet, put a cease on my BT line and gone fully mobile. I'm very happy so far.

Thanks folks ;-)

yes ive setup these before

dx100uk
03-Apr-18, 21:20
About six miles from the exchange dx100uk and the line is underground. As to what the problems are with our line depends on who is telling us, the most often told problem (6 out of about 14 ) is that it is over half a mile long and made up of a mixture if cables - copper and aluminium - plus the fact that there is only us. See what i mean

so you'll be treated as direct from the exchange (i'e..Exchange Only).

you should see a very marked uptick when It gets done.
you being that far away i'd still expect +4mb atleast

Christine
11-Apr-18, 13:01
We are also on Cabinet 2 and been told to expect (possible) access to fibre by May. Does anyone know if that is a new cabinet that has been built inside the area where the council houses are in the middle of the village (Mey) or has that nothing to do with telecoms? Openreach told me that Cabinet 2 was at the end of the Scarfskerry road just before coming into the village. Is that correct? We are about 0.6 miles away from that but like others said on here have old copper wire running from the house. Since December I have been on to BT weekly about poor access often 'outages' late at night. The normal response is that the engineers 'are working on it' and everything will be resumed in two hours, 24 hours, etc. I sometimes wonder if they do anything and it just comes back on its on accord! Last night however, it went off completely (still blue light on hub though) so BT asked me if I had considered moving house as "thats as good as its going to get". What a bunch! It is really frustrating.....