PDA

View Full Version : Broadband in Keiss

shakey
30-May-07, 16:28
Is there anybody on the Keiss exchange (NSKSS) who has broadband with an ISP other than BT?
We are currently paying BT a fortune for an uncapped service because everyone else we've tried has refused to connect us. Excuses range from "exchange not enabled" to "BT won't let us use your exchange" or "you are too far from your exchange" We've been getting 512k from BT flawlessly for over a year, but £40/month for 512k is too much!

Bobinovich
30-May-07, 17:35
Firstly how close are you to your local exchange? I believe the Keiss exchange is enabled for up to 2Mbps at present but it does depend on how far you are from teh exchange.

Also, according to the BT website their top package is £24.99/month. If you're paying more than that then contact them and argue that you're not getting value from your package. The last thing they want it to loose more customers to other ISPs so they should be willing to come and go on the price if they can't speed you up.

Someone I know in Scrabster did this. BT visited and did some work on the line improving the speed from 512kbps to 3.6Mbps! they also reduced the cost for 6 months AND threw in a wireless router upgrade.

It's very worthwhile letting your suppliers know of your displeasure - sometimes they'll bend over backwards to try and accommodate you.

shakey
30-May-07, 18:02
Hi Bobinovich, thanks for your reply.
You raise some good questions, but unfortunately I have answers to those..
We are about 3 miles (by wire length, not by crow flies) from the exchange which gives 512k maximum speed guarenteed. 1mb is aparently iffy at this distance and 2mb is a definate no-go.
The top BT residentual package is capped at 40gig/month so to get uncapped we had to buy a business package at £35/month. on top of this we have to pay £5/month for a fixed IP.

It's annoying I can't find another isp to take us on, for example adsl4less will do uncapped fixed ip on 512k for a mere 14.99/month - but according to them our line isn't upto it!

marylund2323
30-May-07, 18:51
virgin also works in keiss

DM
31-May-07, 19:26
Hi there,

I've got AOL in Keiss and it works flawlessly, £14.99 a month and unlimited (512K is the maximum speed on the Keiss exchange unfortunately). Just don't install their software!! (Oh got a free wireless router with it all aswell)

Cheers

emb123
31-May-07, 19:51
We are about 3 miles (by wire length, not by crow flies) from the exchange which gives 512k maximum speed guarenteed. 1mb is aparently iffy at this distance and 2mb is a definate no-go.
The top BT residentual package is capped at 40gig/month so to get uncapped we had to buy a business package at £35/month. on top of this we have to pay £5/month for a fixed IP.

It's annoying I can't find another isp to take us on, for example adsl4less will do uncapped fixed ip on 512k for a mere 14.99/month - but according to them our line isn't upto it!
I'm on Virgin (albeit not in Keiss), but by way of heavy use, Virgin have a pretty excellent policy.

I am not a constant very heavy user but there are times when I wish to (and do) download humongous amounts of data which takes several days.

I stage it to be during times of least usage for other people because I don't want to be a nuisance, but I'm paying for unlimited usage and although I don't want or need to do unlimited full time, full speed downloading, when I want to download something I resent the need to have to work out what my overall downloads have been so far - it is not what I am paying for. I try not to hog the village bandwidth so most of the time if there is a lot to get then I'll do it after midnight and occasionally during the day to leave the bandwidth essentially free of my demands during evenings and weekends. It seems to work.

On occasion I have noticed that my speeds have dropped apallingly low - to less than I would get from a dial-up connection (although I had been overdoing it a bit for a few days), but it seems to reset very quickly and my speed usually goes back up to full speed again within a day or so.

At 512kbps I doubt Virgin would clobber you at all for unfair usage based on what you'd be able to total downloads-wise at that speed. They do not supply equipment - you need your own but you obviously have that already. They do an excellent range of Usenet groups and are one of the few UK ISPs that still do. I found the current AOL service and deal to be quite acceptable too but they are stricter on their heavy users and don't operate a usenet server any more if that would matter to you.

engiebenjy
31-May-07, 19:53
I'd be intersted to know how you're paying BT £40 a month, when their top package costs £24.99?

engiebenjy
31-May-07, 19:56
Another thing to look at with any ISP is the technical backup should anything happen. Trust me, cheap is not always best when it goes belly up!

marylund2323
31-May-07, 21:09
yeah im with bt and have their top package(£24.99) and line rental £11.99 which takes me upto nearly £40 for my internet every month....but i also live in castletown and get 8 meg and 50 gig download limit. i wouldnt recommend bt for their customer support tho unless you speak arabic

j4bberw0ck
31-May-07, 22:43

You download >40GB per month on a 512kB connexion? How???? If it's the kids downloading music, tell 'em you're going on to 6GB and they can pay you the difference if they want to carry on doing it. If it's you downloading that much - videos or music - you deserve to pay; you have a choice, after all...... I have a bunch of complaints about my own 512kB connexion but I'd resent feeling I was subsidising a mega-user elsewhere.

DeHaviLand
01-Jun-07, 01:05

Theres no need to pay for a fixed IP, you can set this yourself. pm if you need to know how to do it.

the nomad
01-Jun-07, 11:46
Broadband in Keiss whatever next. So does that mean the carrier pigeons are for the pie? LOL:lol:

poppett
02-Jun-07, 10:15
Have you looked at the PIPEX website? We pay £19 a month and have good broadband connection and free 01/02 telephone calls 24/7. We had previously been told it was BT or nothing, and I would have managed with nothing as their prices keep rising for old customers. Try them for a new deal though, I did recently for my dad and he got a reduced price package for 6 months plus a free home hub, the downside was he is now tied to an 18 month contract.......Swings and roundabouts as they say