PDA

View Full Version : A9 on the BBC website

noodle
30-May-07, 15:24
In response to this: A9 move 'not immediate priority' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/6704115.stm)

The new Scottish government has described plans for dualling the A9 between Perth and Inverness as a "long-term" project.I thought people might be interested to see that the BBC have opened up a "Have your say" here (http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?threadID=6446&&&edition=1&ttl=20070530150643)

Do people on here agree that it should be a transport priority in Scotland or should we be pushing for increasing (for example) the public transport links to places north of Inverness? Or follow the example of the Friends of the Earth and supporting the plans for Edinburgh to have a tram system in as a priority?

Tubthumper
30-May-07, 15:28
I saw the feature in the Scotsman today, regarding the battle that may break out because the SNP wish to upgrade roads (A9 deathtrap, but only as far as Aviemore) as opposed to investing in tramways, exclusively a central belt issue.
Was surprised that the A9 ended at Aviemore. Or maybe the reporter from this august national organ bottled it from going any further.
Is it me or has the move of Government to Embra made no difference to us here?

changilass
30-May-07, 15:30
Edinburgh has a very good bus system, and whilst trams may be freindlier to the earth, surely lives are more important, the A9 stretch of road is very dangerous and should be priority IMHO

Angela
30-May-07, 15:37
Edinburgh has a very good bus system, and whilst trams may be freindlier to the earth, surely lives are more important, the A9 stretch of road is very dangerous and should be priority IMHO

I agree with you, changilass. I find the A9 very scary.[evil]

Not everyone in Edinburgh is in favour of the proposed tram system here!

noodle
30-May-07, 15:55
I saw the feature in the Scotsman today, regarding the battle that may break out because the SNP wish to upgrade roads (A9 deathtrap, but only as far as Aviemore) as opposed to investing in tramways, exclusively a central belt issue.
Was surprised that the A9 ended at Aviemore. Or maybe the reporter from this august national organ bottled it from going any further.

That may well be the reporter as the BBC report it slightly differently!

Is it me or has the move of Government to Embra made no difference to us here?I couldn't comment, sorry I'm too new around here to know what it was like before...

I'm going to have to read the article you mentioned though - you've piqued my interest about that reporter!

emszxr
30-May-07, 16:30
upgrade perth to inverness stretch but leave the inverness to thurso/wick stretch

Banshee
30-May-07, 17:38
Bridge across Berriedale will solve a huge issue!

Tori

emszxr
30-May-07, 17:41
berriedale wouldnt be the same with a bridge. what real good will a bridge that will cost a fortune do anyway

George Brims
30-May-07, 21:02
Here's a question on the A9 issue, prompted by something going on near my house right now. We have a freeway near us in California that has been two lanes each way since it was built, but with a very large (~60 feet) strip up the middle. Now it has become necessary to widen it to three lanes they haven't had to build out, which would take a lot of digging as it's hilly, and buying land off people. They just had to widen the bridges and pave another strip.

So when they upgraded the A9 20+ years ago, did they design in the capability to upgrade over time, or will there be another round of compulsory purchases of land and digging it up?

noodle
01-Jun-07, 10:52
upgrade perth to inverness stretch but leave the inverness to thurso/wick stretch

If I understood rightly, the SNP are only talking about the Perth-Inverness stretch anyway.

Unfortunately. Although I think to make the road safer along the bits that are most dangerous on the Thurso - Inverness sections they may well have to cut into the cliffs...?

laguna2
01-Jun-07, 11:07

Why do you say leave the Inverness to Thurso/Wick stretch? Some stretches of the road are dangerous and really need to have something done about them.

DeHaviLand
01-Jun-07, 22:32
Bridge across Berriedale will solve a huge issue!

Tori

Exploratory drilling works are going on at Berriedale right now.

percy toboggan
01-Jun-07, 22:44
I drove the A9 only last week. It is far from a 'deathtrap' for any competent driver with a modicum of patience. No road is inherently 'dangerous' thewy only made so by people who do not follow the rules or refuse to apply common sense.

emszxr
02-Jun-07, 08:16
I drove the A9 only last week. It is far from a 'deathtrap' for any competent driver with a modicum of patience. No road is inherently 'dangerous' thewy only made so by people who do not follow the rules or refuse to apply common sense.

exactly. i drove up to wick on thursday and it wouldnt be the same if it was dualled or a bridge over berriedale. i love berriedale. also it is a great road on the bike. dual carriageway and bike equals , very boring journey.
if people drove to the conditions of the road and traffic there wouldnt be as many accidents.

Tom Cornwall
02-Jun-07, 09:14

I agree with percy, roads always get the blame, but it's very nearly always the driver's who use them that cause the accidents. Roads don't overtake when the shouldn't, they don't swerve out in front of other drivers, they don't take drink. etc etc