PDA

View Full Version : Question about signature links..

rfr10
30-May-07, 15:19
Does that mean that the highland 2007 link in my signature must be removed and the Highland Youth Voice link?

Highland 2007 do have an advert on Caithness.org and also isn't a business and neither is Highland Youth Voice.

Let me know please.

Geo
30-May-07, 15:50
Goodness, I wouldn't have noticed the announcement if you hadn't mentioned it. Throwing out the baby with the bath water springs to mind.

There goes my link promoting Caithness. :(

I wonder why the change couldn't be the same as for posts, ie no commercial posts therefore no commercial links?

rfr10
30-May-07, 15:54
Goodness, I wouldn't have noticed the announcement if you hadn't mentioned it. Throwing out the baby with the bath water springs to mind.

There goes my link promoting Caithness. :(

I wonder why the change couldn't be the same as for posts, ie no commercial posts therefore no commercial links?

I just noticed a big bar at the top saying ANNOUNCEMENT, lol.

Do you think it would be ok to keep my links in or would I have to remove them?

Geo
30-May-07, 16:06
Says all users sadly.

rfr10
30-May-07, 16:09
Says all users sadly.

I know but then, it's not like the links in my signature refer to businesses and it's like.. a community website so surley I'd be allowed to promote youth voice here without having to pay for it ??

..oh wait I see what you mean.. och... surely not.

Niall Fernie
30-May-07, 16:27
We're not preventing people from posting links on the forum. However, in order to make the ruling easy to moderate, a blanket removal of links from signatures is required. If you have a link to your homepage in your forum profile, its easy enough to say "check my homepage for ..." or similar should you wish to point another user to something of interest on your site. People with a business web site are to be allowed to do the same as this is not seen as overtly advertising themselves but the link is still there in their profile should anyone be interested.

rfr10,
There is nothing to stop you putting the link to Highland 2007 into your posts. For that matter would a thread(s) on the topic, as interesting things come up, not create more awareness than simple links in your signature?

rfr10
30-May-07, 16:29
We're not preventing people from posting links on the forum. However, in order to make the ruling easy to moderate, a blanket removal of links from signatures is required. If you have a link to your homepage in your forum profile, its easy enough to say "check my homepage for ..." or similar should you wish to point another user to something of interest on your site. People with a business web site are to be allowed to do the same as this is not seen as overtly advertising themselves but the link is still there in their profile should anyone be interested.

rfr10,
There is nothing to stop you putting the link to Highland 2007 into your posts. For that matter would a thread(s) on the topic, as interesting things come up, not create more awareness than simple links in your signature?

Does that mean you're wanting me to delete the links in my signature then? And yes, I think you are probably quite right there, not sure many interesting things come up which could relate to youth voice but.. maybe will sometime.

Niall Fernie
30-May-07, 16:36
Does that mean you're wanting me to delete the links in my signature then?
Yes please.

I almost forgot to add, if you go to your UserCP then into "Edit Options" on the left, you will find as you scroll down the page that you have the option to switch off Signatures, Avatars and Images should you find that they clutter up the posts. I've also just added a new option just below that to only show each poster's signature on each page only once in case you do want to see them but not after every post a user makes.

rfr10
30-May-07, 16:39
Yes please.

I almost forgot to add, if you go to your UserCP then into "Edit Options" on the left, you will find as you scroll down the page that you have the option to switch off Signatures, Avatars and Images should you find that they clutter up the posts. I've also just added a new option just below that to only show each poster's signature on each page only once in case you do want to see them but not after every post a user makes.

Oky doky, will take them off in just a sec if that's ok.

rfr10
30-May-07, 16:54
There we go, signature looks a bit rubbish now but never mind :Razz I do like to be big headded in my signature don't I lol