PDA

View Full Version : weather help needed

jim shoe
30-May-07, 14:25
Had to phone our insurance company today as we have a bad leak

they said they will validate my claim if in the past few days or see the wind speed has exceeded 47 thinggys per whatever

anyone know what the wind speeds have been since saturday

as its all dutch to me

thank you in advance:(

kas
30-May-07, 15:43
PM Tugmistress. I am sure she will be able to tell you the weather statistics for the last week, well for here in the Thurso area.

mums angels
30-May-07, 16:01
Had to phone our insurance company today as we have a bad leak

they said they will validate my claim if in the past few days or see the wind speed has exceeded 47 thinggys per whatever

anyone know what the wind speeds have been since saturday

as its all dutch to me

thank you in advance:(

I don't understand why wind speed should have anything to do with a leak...

we lost 38 tiles and our trampoline last time we had high winds our insurance company never even came to see the damage or ask about wind speeds ,they just asked us how much we paid for it to be fixed, how much trampoline would cost to replace etc ..

good luck

jim shoe
30-May-07, 17:55
Mums angel tell me please who is your insurance company

i pay an arm and a leg nearly £40.00 A MONTH FOR HOME AND CONTENTS

and i have ended up feeling like a fraud

my lobby wall paper is full of water and bubbles

and well i have no idea why wind speed is important either:~(

this morning i thought my day couldnt get any worse:mad:

Cattach
30-May-07, 18:01
Mums angel tell me please who is your insurance company

i pay an arm and a leg nearly £40.00 A MONTH FOR HOME AND CONTENTS

and i have ended up feeling like a fraud

my lobby wall paper is full of water and bubbles

and well i have no idea why wind speed is important either:~(

this morning i thought my day couldnt get any worse:mad:

I have a good sized detached house insured with Marks and Spencers - £400,000, their minium value now, and contents unlimited just claim replacement. The cost just over £150.00 per year!!

Tony
30-May-07, 20:57
Where is the water coming from? Is a tank/pipe leaking or rain water?
Sounds like they are going to try and wriggle out of it and claim it was an act of god and not covered in the policy. I don't think it is your problem to check wind speeds. If it were me I would be demanding action asap and request to speak to a manager.[evil]
Found this site but not sure if applies as appears to be American so may have different classifications.
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/beaufort.html

£40 a month appears steep. What company are you with so we can all avoid them?
We should all now be checking our policies small print and this should include car insurance as I read somewhere somebody lost their car in the last big floods but the insurance did not cover flood loss/damage.

squeezy
30-May-07, 22:55
Probably not going to be a popular response, but I would say the insurance company is right to ask. If the wind speeds have been high, then it'll be storm damage so they'll pay out, but if the wind speeds haven't been high of late, chances are the leak has been caused by disrepair/general wear and tear which they shouldn't be paying out out on?

Their monthly charge though - that's ridiculous!

emb123
31-May-07, 18:13
Insurance companies will try every trick in the book to get out of shelling out. Even more so when lots of money is involved.

If necessary because they are giving you an unreasonably hard time or they're just taking too long to deal with your claim find out who they are regulated by
and make a formal complaint. The onus is on THEM to find out what the wind speed was and the onus is on them to prove that you're a liar and cheat and are simply trying to get them to pay for routine maintenance if that is what they are alleging.

Good luck with the claim.

My mum has her household insurance (fabric and contents) with AA and recently she needed to make a claim for flooding for what turned out to be a long term problem that she wasn't aware of.

They paid out several thousand pounds over the months it took of floors having to be lifted, major construction work, electric for the drying out machines and all the contractors costs, redecorating and new kitchen costs and even paid her a food allowance for the months she was not able to cook anything in the kitchen because there basically wasn't one. They were excellent about it. Personally I can't stand the AA but I have to give credit where it is due.

peedie man
31-May-07, 18:28
the wind last night at 7 pm reached 35mph with gusts of 45mph from the south east

stratman
31-May-07, 21:24
the wind last night at 7 pm reached 35mph with gusts of 45mph from the south east

Where was that Peedie. I lost three pans of glass from my greenhouse. I watched it happen. More than 45mph gusts I would think. I am in groats.