PDA

View Full Version : Executors

Fran
26-Feb-18, 02:13
Has anyone experienced problems being an executor.? Did the deceased owe money and you had to pay it or maybe you were taken to court? Did you know you would be an executor? I didn't and I never will be again

dx100uk
26-Feb-18, 02:56
who says you have to pay whatever debt?
dont get scammed by a dca that you must pay anything on any debt
they are NOT bailiffs and have ZERO legal power

poppett
26-Feb-18, 08:34
It did take quite a while to get sorted out when I was executor for my dad, but with patience got everything sorted in the end (although still waiting for SSAFA award to be paid out).

I wrote to the creditors with a copy of the death certificate and the bank balance and the debts were written off.

A number of years ago I did this on a much larger scale for two relatives with the same effect.

Give me a shout Fran if you think I can help in any way.

johndh
26-Feb-18, 08:50
Fran. Please PM me, your inbox is full.

Fran
28-Feb-18, 01:57
Inbox emptied

Sgitheanach
20-Mar-18, 01:40
I was executor for my dad and all went fine but when i was executor for my uncle it all went crazy due to family members stirring things up so never again .

Fran
21-Mar-18, 18:39
My cousin and I were executors to a relative who died 6 years ago and this case has gone on for five years. The relative had never been on benefits but had pension credit he wouldn't have known about. DWP want £8.000 from me now

Scunner
21-Mar-18, 19:03
It must be from the deceased estate, not from you.

Kodiak
22-Mar-18, 13:33
Simply Put :-

The executor must pay off any debts or taxes from the person's "estate", and then distribute it to the "beneficiaries" (the people who will benefit, or inherit). An estate is normally made up of someone's property, money and possessions. An executor (or executors) may be named in someone's will.

Any Debts should be paid from the Estate and not from the Exector's Personal Funds.

poppett
22-Mar-18, 20:09
Spot on Kodiak, but I know from personal experience that DWP will always try to reclaim any overpayment from any source. Their terminology in the letter asking for the refund leaves a lot to be desired.

Your MP will be happy to deal with this for you by passing in on to the minister for DWP to deal with for you. I have sent a few folk down that route with good result over the years.

orkneycadian
01-May-18, 22:39
Has anyone experienced problems being an executor.?

I have. Put my back out once swinging that axe.