PDA

View Full Version : Favorite sweetie

floyed
29-May-07, 22:31
What was your favorite sweetie when you were little???

I used to love (and still do) penny mixture, dip dabs, jaw breakers, strawberry millions, lion bar, boost and my fav a star bar mmm.

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 22:32
I used to be partial to a Texan bar every now & then. Seen them anywhere recently?

anneoctober
29-May-07, 22:46
coffee walnut whips hhhmmmm. gipsy cream biccies? Where are they now?:cry:

Solus
29-May-07, 22:51
http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/

for your texan bars and all those sweets you used to enjoy as a kid............... but be warned, i will not be responsible for any gained pounds around the waist !

Order a box of goodies from them now and again ! has to be know and again to allow me to lose the weight i put on demolishing said box !:o

I still got a mad addiction for creme eggs though,

DEEKER
29-May-07, 22:53
i used to enjoy a nutty bar,and also a snack like a twix called a banjo(honest i,m not makin it up,from what i can remember anyway).

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 22:57
http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/
for your texan bars and all those sweets you used to enjoy as a kid............... but be warned, i will not be responsible for any gained pounds around the waist !

Woohoo! Ta for that, what was it the Texan guy in the advert used to say... "Now hold on there, Bald Eagle."
Ah memories. And fillings.

karia
29-May-07, 23:09
Deeker, nutty bars were 'the' business:roll:

My mum in law ( a minister's wife ) was forever going to her bed with a big Texan...mm!

Made for the funniest sermons:lol:

theres a fantastic site for us old sweeties....think it's called 'a quarter of..'

all the old faves are there,

old english spangle anyone?

( hands off the red ones......I bite!)

Karia

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 23:36
Did Wagon Wheels really used to be so much bigger than today? Or has my gob just enlarged?

caroline
29-May-07, 23:57
Rainbow Drops, Five Boys chocolate bar, Rosebuds, Spangles and Fruit Gums are some of my favourites. Anyone remember the advert for Rowntrees Fruit Gums (Don,t foret the Fruit Gums Mum).

Yes, Wagon Wheels were much bigger Tubthumper when they first came out.

marylund2323
30-May-07, 00:06
i recommend these things
http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/pontefract-cakes-p-184.html
from my hometown:)

Metalattakk
30-May-07, 01:04
Did Wagon Wheels really used to be so much bigger than today? Or has my gob just enlarged?

Aye. Gone are the days when a Wagon Wheel was actually the size of the wheel off a wagon, and Curly-Wurlys were the size of a window-cleaner's ladder.

I miss the Wham bar.

Bill Fernie
30-May-07, 01:36
This topic has had a good number of posts at http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=24591&highlight=old+sweeties

Jeemag_USA
30-May-07, 01:41
Of all time, I think its a very hard decision, but I would have to go with penny shrimps, but I might change my mind tomorrow!!! It could be Fruit Pastilles, its a real toughie, between those to, you know you just got to chew! Curly Wurly gets an honorable mention too.

If it had to be a candy bar it would be Bounty!

The Pepsi Challenge
30-May-07, 06:05
All the best ones - my favourites - are now long gone: Cabana, Golden Cup, Yankee bar.

Valerie Campbell
30-May-07, 15:20
I'm showing my age here but I used to like Spangles. Then there was chewy passion fruits and I still like sports mixture, except the black ones...

linnepinne
30-May-07, 19:15
my fav was mb bars and to this day caramals of all sorts, sticking to my teeth yum yum :D and my grand dad always bought us spangles when he used to visit .

Buttercup
30-May-07, 19:58
i used to enjoy a nutty bar,and also a snack like a twix called a banjo(honest i,m not makin it up,from what i can remember anyway).

Wasn't a Banjo renamed Drifter? Just like Marathon changed to Snickers. :D

Solus
30-May-07, 21:05
Pepsi, cabana's, i had forgot all about them they were brill !

karia
30-May-07, 23:02
"golden cup".....oh yes indeedie..:)

Going to brush my teeth now,...leave me alone!

Karia.

canuck
30-May-07, 23:11
Growing up in Caithness West, aka Winnipeg, Manitoba, it was a special treat to go downtown to Eaton's and have Edinburgh Rock from the candy counter bin. Thanks floyed for bringing back the special memory.

marilyn
30-May-07, 23:47
:lol: Buttered Brazils was what I was sent for from Fishermans Saloon on Sunday's along with the Sunday Post, they were grown up's treats, but I used to manage to finish one on the way up the Black Stairs, a favourite of mine was Aztec Bars (been long gone)!

sweetpea
30-May-07, 23:59
I still love parma violets, space dust and flying saucers. I never got many sweeties when i was a bairn but we used to get cremola foam all the time!:)

celtchicky
31-May-07, 10:51
i loved floral gums, cherry lips, sherbet pips, wham bars, just the usual stuf that rots ur teeth
:lol:

Ash
31-May-07, 11:08
:lol: do u still get wispas? i havent seen them in years...mmm chocolate! lol

Kamikaze
01-Jun-07, 01:38
Caramac!!!
do you still get these????

hotrod4
01-Jun-07, 11:15
I ahve to admit I used to be partial to the "bullion" toffee bar that used to come with a wee hammer as a gimmick. It was only about 10p but used to last me ages!!! it was well worth it.
They dont make them now, which i am glad off as i only have 8 teeth of my own left he he!(wonder if i can sue???)

angela5
01-Jun-07, 11:24
I ahve to admit I used to be partial to the "bullion" toffee bar that used to come with a wee hammer as a gimmick. It was only about 10p but used to last me ages!!! it was well worth it.
They dont make them now, which i am glad off as i only have 8 teeth of my own left he he!(wonder if i can sue???)

You still get the toffee bars that come with a wee hammer, sadly not for 10p though!

emb123
01-Jun-07, 11:39
same then as it is now :) - Finger of fudge.

My regular purchase on the way to school was a quarter or 2 ounces of amercian hard gums or for penny sweets those candy chocolate tools (saw, scissors etc)

the nomad
01-Jun-07, 11:49
I'm showing my age here but I used to like Spangles. Then there was chewy passion fruits and I still like sports mixture, except the black ones...
Spangles god I remember them wasn't thee different types Olde English and an other?

Victoria
01-Jun-07, 14:21
strawberry laces....mmmmmmmmmmmm

hotrod4
02-Jun-07, 08:24
For all the adults out there that like spangles.
You can have a "liquid " version by mixing 1part Vodka with 1part Blue bols, Dash of blackcurrant topped with lemonade.
Ask for it in a bar trust me it does taste like spangles!!!!!!

P.S dont blame me if you get a hangover!! he he

ashaw1
02-Jun-07, 09:03
I used to like wanut whips when the shells were piped chocolate and you could uncurl them. Now they are cast in 2 halves it just isn't the same. Do sweets get smaller over the years or is it just because we are getting bigger?

M.Funkenstein
02-Jun-07, 12:04
Do sweets get smaller over the years or is it just because we are getting bigger?

Yeah! I'm Suuuurrreee Cream Egg's are smaller than last year...Hmmm..

brew
04-Jun-07, 15:19
Caramac!!!
do you still get these????

\You still get them but they just not the same anymore.

I dont like the new ones,

Innes
04-Jun-07, 22:25
Well when I were a lad we had lots of tabacco related sweets like chocolate cigaretts wraped up in paper,those we candy sticks you still get but they had a red tip to make them look as if they were lit and my fav was the shredded toasted coconut that came in a we pouch just like ones in the cowboy films ah yes it was like having your own bag of golden virginia.

Bobinovich
04-Jun-07, 22:48
Welcome to the Org Innes :D

Emb123's just reminded me about American Hard Gums - still get a bag of Maynards ones occasionally out of Pennyland Service Station but they don't last long :(

Does anyone else like Jelly Belly beans??? Got a 1.8kg mixed tub one Christmas - put a BIG smile on my face!

Innes
04-Jun-07, 23:04
Thanks for the welcome,I have a small bag of Lion brand sport mixture My daughter gave me two years ago and just cant eat them there for keeps,
maynards killed sport mixture when they changed the black one for blackcurrant (and I love blackcurrant flavoured sweets) but it is still wrong.

ps I love jelly beans all sizes.

poppett
05-Jun-07, 10:08
Somerfield have bags of Buchannan`s old fashioned sweets on display next to the cafe. Fondant fruit creams (including Rose flavour)....Russian caramels, Italian caramel, chocolate mint creams etc., It seems old fashioned sweets are coming back into fashion.

TRUCKER
05-Jun-07, 22:07
i used to love bountys

Bobinovich
05-Jun-07, 22:13
I thought Truckers were only into Yorkie bars [lol]

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Innes
05-Jun-07, 23:15
Hope you all brushed your teeth.
Does anybody rember Mint Cracknle boy did they shred your tounge.

Tristan
05-Jun-07, 23:21

Did you ever have Joe Louis on this side of the pond? Heavenly.

lynne duncan
05-Jun-07, 23:22
after eights and the whole family know it for xmas i got 8 boxes which sees me through to my anniversary in april get somemore which last to my birthday and so forth but sometimes they don't quite last to xmas, so glad when xmas comes.
love the coconut sweets in quality street

emb123
05-Jun-07, 23:53
Hope you all brushed your teeth.
Does anybody rember Mint Cracknle boy did they shred your tounge.
yes - they were downright vicious! A good combination though. I reckon Dime bar has picked up where they left off, major stress on the teeth and jaw :)

nightowl
06-Jun-07, 00:05
Thanks for the welcome,I have a small bag of Lion brand sport mixture My daughter gave me two years ago and just cant eat them there for keeps,
maynards killed sport mixture when they changed the black one for blackcurrant (and I love blackcurrant flavoured sweets) but it is still wrong.

ps I love jelly beans all sizes.

Don't despair, Innes, try here for your Sports Mixture
www.aquarterof.co.uk/lions-sports-mixture-p-210.html (http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/lions-sports-mixture-p-210.html)

Innes
07-Jun-07, 23:46
Thanks Nightowl. I have been told of a shop in Renfrew that still sells Lion brand sweets and it is only 10 mins down the road,dribble dribble.
Hows things in Bettyhill :lol: I`m going up to Durness :Razz for 2 weeks,do you know when your gala day is? I am looking for thing to do whith the kids as my wife wont let me take my motorbike.

helenwyler
08-Jun-07, 10:46
Innes you have tickled my historic tastebuds. I'd forgotten about Chocolate cigarettes, shredded toasted coconut in pouches....yum. Also liked Frys peppermint cream bars and Cough Candy which we used to suck during long cold frosty hockey games at school. Anyone remember Jamboree bags?

caroline
08-Jun-07, 19:38
Thanks Nightowl. I have been told of a shop in Renfrew that still sells Lion brand sweets and it is only 10 mins down the road,dribble dribble.
Hows things in Bettyhill :lol: I`m going up to Durness :Razz for 2 weeks,do you know when your gala day is? I am looking for thing to do whith the kids as my wife wont let me take my motorbike.

Whereabouts is the shop in Renfrew Innes, that sell Lion Brands sweets. Renfrew not far from me.

daviddd
08-Jun-07, 22:33
Giant Snicker, or chunky Kit-Kat! Oh, and Thornton's toffee with milk choc coating....mmmmm

Yoda the flump
09-Jun-07, 00:40
Spangles! ;)