PDA

View Full Version : Goldfinches

veekay
29-May-07, 18:35
Is it just me or are there more goldfinches around. I have only seen a few in the twenty years I have been here but this year I have seen at least three pair and on a regular basis and no before you all ask they are not the same ones seen three times as I have seen them all together. Also the wheatear ( I think that is what they are) there seems to be a lot of them as well

nemosia
29-May-07, 19:17
Hi Veekay,

No it's not just you. When I arrived in Thurso ('86) goldfinches were uncommon with only occasional sightings. Now they are everywhere and in some places seem to be the most abundant finch. They are one of the few species that has prospered in recent years. Fantastic birds too.

Iain

WeeBurd
29-May-07, 22:50
I don't think I've spotted one of them yet, but I do have a couple of Greenfinches visiting my garden (they arrived last week), as well as a pair of Chaffinches those Chaffie's are noisy wee rascals when they're looking for grub!:D

Lavenderblue2
05-Jun-07, 19:04
Is it just me or are there more goldfinches around. I have only seen a few in the twenty years I have been here but this year I have seen at least three pair and on a regular basis and no before you all ask they are not the same ones seen three times as I have seen them all together. Also the wheatear ( I think that is what they are) there seems to be a lot of them as well

I had a pair of Goldfinches in my garden last Friday - I hadn't seen any for quite a few years - they're such magnificnet birds and looked stunning in the bright sunshine.
We have lots of Wheatears around here too, they are so delicate and pretty.

LB

Tilter
06-Jun-07, 21:22
I saw a pair of goldfinches this evening at teatime in the field out back of the house. They were working over a bunch of dandelions and other weeds. These are the first goldfinches I have ever seen here.

highlander
09-Jun-07, 21:28
At last they have arrived back in my garden, sorry about the picture quality i had to stand in kitchen to take them.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f397/highlander1959/8thjune041.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f397/highlander1959/8thjune027.jpg

Loafer
19-Jun-07, 21:49
A year ago we had our first pair (named affectionally as Toyah and Tyrone!), but at the last count there was four pairs with their offspring. One of the young ones is a nasty wee so and so, won't let any of the others on the thistle seed feeder!!

The Loafer