PDA

View Full Version : Use your computer for good

hotrod4
29-May-07, 16:28
Hi folks
You can use a program that will help find cures for cancer,etc by downloading a small program that will "crunch" data when your machine goes into screensaver mode.
You can set how much resources it uses,etc.
It is by no means intrusive and the screensavers can be quite nice to view.

It uses a program called "boinc".
all the info if your interested is at http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

You can join my "caithness" team by checking out the team section.
I am the only one so far!! (boo hoo)

So come on folks dont be shy, it doesnt cost anything and theres no physical labour involved.
Help these scientists find cures for incurable diseases.

(there is no spyware,malware,viruses with this but feel free to check it out if unsure.)

Many thanks

MadPict
29-May-07, 16:35
This sounds like a similar concept to the Folding@home project and the SETI@Home Project.

hotrod4
29-May-07, 17:27
It uses the same tecnology as seti@home (which i am also a member of!!! for my sins)

Mr P Cannop
29-May-07, 18:39
Hi folks
You can use a program that will help find cures for cancer,etc by downloading a small program that will "crunch" data when your machine goes into screensaver mode.
You can set how much resources it uses,etc.
It is by no means intrusive and the screensavers can be quite nice to view.

It uses a program called "boinc".
all the info if your interested is at http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

You can join my "caithness" team by checking out the team section.
I am the only one so far!! (boo hoo)

So come on folks dont be shy, it doesnt cost anything and theres no physical labour involved.
Help these scientists find cures for incurable diseases.

(there is no spyware,malware,viruses with this but feel free to check it out if unsure.)

Many thanks

whats the web link to it for the caithness area ??

hotrod4
29-May-07, 21:37
To join my "caithness" team just search for teams beginning with "c" on the weblink and you will find my team.

Someone else has already joined!!!!!
Thats my good deed done for eternity!!!!! he he

Thanks very much

golach
29-May-07, 21:43
hotrod, the .Org already has a team called Scotland with 93 members been running since 16/11/2004

JimH
30-May-07, 12:02
I joined this for a while, and found that they took over 60% of my CPU ALL the time the computer was on, not just when I was not using it. It took me a while to work out what had slowed down my machine.
It was fine when I was not using it. I have now dropped out of it.

hotrod4
30-May-07, 18:35
Sorry i didnt know that "the .org" had a team, i cant remember seeing anything about in any posts.
Never mind will keep churning out the wotk for them
Cheers

emb123
31-May-07, 12:31
years ago I used to use the seti one, then the cure for cancer one (logged a great many hours of run time). It did use to hog almost 100% cpu usage when it was running to the detriment of other tasks I had left the machine performing and it had quite a few bugs which were inclined to pop up 'in your face'.

Unless they have improved the software and provided a means to throttle back on the amount of CPU usage that the software makes I won't be running it again. It's a terrific idea but has been implemented very badly IMO.

Furthermore in exteremly hot summer weather it used to cause the PC to overheat and shut itself down to prevent the CPU from burning out.

Solus
31-May-07, 12:44
Agree with you there emb123, i found that out last year, my machine would get very very hot through the night when it was running the folding project ! used to wake up and hear the machine beeping away so had to run downstairs and turn it off.