PDA

View Full Version : Help in identifying a Bird.

Bluezulu
29-May-07, 16:06
I was just Looking at our Bird feeder today, and the most amazing coloured Bird landed for a feed!!! can anyone help with identifying it??? it's got us beat.
It's slightly smaller than a blackbird, it's got black wings and head, it has a bright yellow body and six white flashes on each wing...i've got a couple of Photos if anyone thinks they might be able to help.:confused

NickInTheNorth
29-May-07, 16:11
photos always help :)

karia
29-May-07, 18:27
Hi Bluezulu, I think it may have been a grey wagtail. Fits the description.

Karia

kas
30-May-07, 21:29
Photos would be great as It sounds as if it may be the rarity that is about.

Grey Wagtail fits the description, but is very unlikely to be at a feeder.

Is it a Orangy/Yellow?

emb123
31-May-07, 15:31
a little unlikely maybe but they have been spotted in Scotland occasionally would be a masked shrike.

Sounds quite a lot like a swallow too, possibly a barn swallow.

Photos would be really helpful if you can post them either here or somewhere like photobucket and paste a link

karia
31-May-07, 21:20
we should have identified the species earlier..

....it's the 'wind up' bird !

Karia

kas
31-May-07, 22:18
I have seen the photos and the bird was a very Rare visitor from America. It was a Baltimore Oriole, and I wished I had got to see it. Thankyou Bluezulu for the photos, what a beauty. I had quite a few people keen to see if it was still around, and they would have travelled quite a distance up here to see it.

I think it has been one of the rariest birds in Caithness for a while.

Thanks again. Post the potots on here if you can.;)

karia
31-May-07, 23:20
sincere apologies, having waited...then pm'd the OP, I thought someone was taking the !!!!!!!:)

Happy to be wrong,...post your pics, tell us where you are!?

karia

Jeemag_USA
01-Jun-07, 00:19
Your lucky, they have been spotted once or twice in the UK but not often. Well done.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a6/Baltimore_oriole_male.jpg/220px-Baltimore_oriole_male.jpg

spurtle
03-Jun-07, 22:36
I was just Looking at our Bird feeder today, and the most amazing coloured Bird landed for a feed!!! can anyone help with identifying it??? it's got us beat.
It's slightly smaller than a blackbird, it's got black wings and head, it has a bright yellow body and six white flashes on each wing...i've got a couple of Photos if anyone thinks they might be able to help.:confused

It would have to be quite small, but we have some siskins about just now. They look very yellow, and have some black markings