PDA

View Full Version : school van,s

johno
29-May-07, 10:15
Who can remember the vans that used to visit the high school in the 60.s
the ice cream vans, the baker vans, can anyone recall Lamberts bakery van .This is the one that sticks out in my mind. One bite on his pie and every thing around you was covered in grease if you were,nt carefull
he used to sell those big meat pies, great on the frosty mornings as they were
always piping hot. Lambert,s Greasers we called them. bloody marvelous they were :roll:

MadPict
29-May-07, 10:30
Not the vans - but the 'shop' at WHS - Yellops sausage rolls - when I smell hot savoury pastries in bakers or cafes today it always conjures up the smell of them drifting around the school at mid morning break.

Ricco
29-May-07, 10:38
I remember at Thurso High there were 4 'cabins' in the play ground that served up hot drinks, pies, sweets, etc at break time. When it was cold you couldn't beat a hot Scotch pie or bridie and cocoa. Yum!

beelag2000
29-May-07, 22:13
At Wick High there was Wulldag Millers bakery van and Gibby Frasers Vauxhall Victor estate car. Dunno who baked them but Gibby's bridies were scrumptous. When the bell rang it was survival of the fittest to get to the front of the q at the van.

Pennylane
29-May-07, 22:18
Johno....I remember Lamberts Greasers mmmmm they were the best pies in Wick as were his Sugar Cookies lol.
Was at the High School in the 50.s and can remember Gibby Frazers van also,on a hot day we went to Gibbys van,on a cold day it was Lamberts van.

wavy davy
29-May-07, 22:31
Made me salivate reading about Lambert's greasers - stuff one of them down your face and then up to Carter's shop for a "single". (fag) Bliss!

Funny that few of us from that era are obese, given the amount of fat and stodge we ingested. Something to do with running about for as long as you could before mam got you in for bed, I guess.

horseman
29-May-07, 22:41
Made me salivate reading about Lambert's greasers - stuff one of them down your face and then up to Carter's shop for a "single". (fag) Bliss!

Funny that few of us from that era are obese, given the amount of fat and stodge we ingested. Something to do with running about for as long as you could before mam got you in for bed, I guess.
What a cracker wavy d,running, yea all up the riverside, all round the harbour,an all round the rocks!I hope the kids still do that.:D

wavy davy
30-May-07, 23:12
What a cracker wavy d,running, yea all up the riverside, all round the harbour,an all round the rocks!I hope the kids still do that.:D

Don't think so mate. As kids we spent half our lives out at Papigoe and Staxigoe clambering over rocks, climbing up the cliffs and generally endangering life and limb (not that any of our crowd was ever seriously hurt)

I mentioned this to my niece and she was horrified - far too dangerous - not just the horsing around but the fact that her kids might be exposed to paedophiles if they go any further away than the end of the street.

I think that her views are pretty generally held. I live out that way now and never see any kids horsing around. I guess they're all bent over their Playstations. A damn shame IMHO.