PDA

View Full Version : "thinking pod"

Yok Finney
28-May-07, 21:38
According to one Labour MSP: "We have been given these thinking pods, but we are never in them."

This comment so immediately illuminated the scottish political landscape, I've filed it in my computer and written it in my diary. Thinking also needs to be applied, as when my SNP played a great tactical game to win the recent election. To govern the country, now, we need to have strategy.

"Education b'****, the longer they go to school, the more they have to unlearn when I employ them on my ships," said Captn. Gustav Ericson.

I've worked commercial sea fishing so "capitalism" for me is not merely a theoretical construct but something evidenced every week. And you'll never learn politics from media's "prostitutes of the pen" also known as journalists, or essential history or geography from those “prostitutes of the pen with professorships” called historians. My serious suggestion to Labour MSPs is to look in Edinburgh shops and purchase a globe on a stand. Spin it round at few times and notice if any thinking has occurred. It's a start.

j4bberw0ck
28-May-07, 23:08
According to one Labour MSP: "We have been given these thinking pods, but we are never in them."

Besides the obvious comment about never actually thinking, I thought it might have been the employment of an avant-garde architect with limitless budget, by people with a grandiose idea of their own self-importance, that created the "thinking pods".

Other than that, it's not entirely clear to me why politicians elected to do stuff in Scotland, specifically, should have too much interest in a spinning globe..... after all, it's not as though Scotland actually matters much on a world stage.

Yok Finney
29-May-07, 08:25
I think a flash of genius must have hit a dour provincial lawyer to commission Mr. Mirales to design the new Parliament. Otherewise we would have got a school, a prison, an office block, Eastgate Shopping Center located somewhere implausible like Haymarket or Granton. How the construction was managed from the scottish end makes a woeful tale though. All those responsible then took "golden handshakes" and assumed new jobs like Principal of Glasgow University. I expect that should a member of the Scottish Establishment (it helps if you're an R.S.A.) make even more cock-ups, say, in Glasgow, a top job in an Inverness Palatial HQ quango is on the cards.

To state that Scotland suffers a colonial mal-admistration maligns the better days of the Empire when better sorts were sent to govern Rhodesia and India. If you couldn't handle a foreign brief there was always the Scottish Office.

I must give due praise to Willie Ross's post war "benevolent dictatorship" and the Hydro schemes. But it's hardly a good, or safe, way to run a country.

"We have not began to think yet, " as John Paul Jones might say.