PDA

View Full Version : G8 Summit

mareng
11-Jun-05, 13:01
Am I the only one that can see no benefit for Scotland, having this summit here?

Will there be a government memo leaked to the press at some future date which suggested that the summit be held in Scotland so that London, Manchester or the likes doesn't get trashed?

Who picks up the security bill?

Can anyone tell me for sure? :(

Drutt
11-Jun-05, 14:01
Policing costs are expected to be around £100m, most of which will be paid by by the Scottish Executive, though Gordon Brown has pledged £20m from the Treasury.

That said according to the Herald," it is expected that Scotland’s economy could benefit by up to £700 million in free advertising, tourism and additional business (http://www.sundayherald.com/49325)".

Rheghead
11-Jun-05, 14:06
Drutt, I would love to know how they calculated those estimates. £100 million? £700 million? For a conference that lasts 2 weeks?

Drutt
11-Jun-05, 14:20
Drutt, I would love to know how they calculated those estimates. £100 million? £700 million?
After a bit more googling, I've found that the £100m cost has been suggested by the SNP. Scotland's first minister has denied that it'll cost this but refused to indicate how much it will cost.

Anyway, I'd have thought that the policing costs would be pretty straightforward for Tayside Police (who are co-ordinating it) to establish. There's the cost of the police in attendance plus any overtime costs as necessary, the cost of having 10,000 police on call, the cost of accommodating and feeding those police coming from out of the area, the cost of the fencing and CCTV in the immediate area around the summit etc.

I couldn't really evaluate the £700m figure without more info. 'Free' publicity it will be, but whether it has a beneficial effect on tourism and business will probably depend on what happens and how it's reported by the media.

For a conference that lasts 2 weeks?
Three days.