PDA

View Full Version : Causeymire Wind Farm v Old Peat Scheme shed

david
28-May-07, 13:36
Hi, there has been a lot of talk about the visual impact that the turbines have on the Caithness landscape. What about the visual impact of the now redundant peat scheme shed at Westerdale. This is situated at one of the most photographed and visited places in Caithness but here we have a landowner (who I believe gets paid a groung rent for the turbines) who it seems is prepared to let this shed rust away to nothing. He IMO should be forced to clear away both the shed and also the rubbish strewn at the back of the shed. The windmills are at least doing something which is more than can be said of this eyesore.

Baconbuttie
29-May-07, 22:48
Surprised the windmills haven't fallen over yet, being that they are built on a peat bog.

ywindythesecond
29-May-07, 23:20
Hi, there has been a lot of talk about the visual impact that the turbines have on the Caithness landscape. What about the visual impact of the now redundant peat scheme shed at Westerdale. This is situated at one of the most photographed and visited places in Caithness but here we have a landowner (who I believe gets paid a groung rent for the turbines) who it seems is prepared to let this shed rust away to nothing. He IMO should be forced to clear away both the shed and also the rubbish strewn at the back of the shed. The windmills are at least doing something which is more than can be said of this eyesore.

David

I have no opinion on the old peat shed,and I didn't even know that's what it was. I do however have an opinion on Causewaymire Windfarm.

It is located on land previously exploited for peat extraction therefore does not add to existing damage.

When it is generating, it makes enough electricity for Caithness, and saves bringing it up from Beauly.

It is right next to the grid connection therefore does not add distribution infrastructure.

It is on low land, not a hilltop, and although it can be seen from many unexpected places, Keiss Harbour for example, it is not widely obtrusive.

In my opinion Causeymire is an appropriate place for a windfarm in Caithness.

But it is the only one.

ywindythesecond

david
30-May-07, 15:57
Yes, that's the problem. Too many people have opinions on windfarms when there are plenty more buildings and rubbish blighting the Caithness landscape.