PDA

View Full Version : Lavender Bush.

cuddlepop
28-May-07, 13:25
Our lavender bush has got brown branches where they were once green Its not all over but the problem seems to be spreading.
The others are fine and still have their flowers.
This has happened before and I've just cut one or two branches off,this time its a lot more of them thats turning colour.
Help,whats wrong.

karia
28-May-07, 14:37
Hi Cuddlepop, I was once told that lavender bushes have a sort of 'life-span',so perhaps yours has just reached the end of its.:(
I wasn't sure about this but we've always grown lavender and it seems to be the case in our garden.

Hope it recovers.
Karia

cuddlepop
28-May-07, 16:07
Its only three years old:eek:

stratman
28-May-07, 17:18
Could it not just be old wood. Usually only new growth is green Or do you mean the leaves as well?

cuddlepop
28-May-07, 19:25
Its all over Stratman.Its totally dead branches.
Will I cut them out,like I did last time.?:eek:

stratman
28-May-07, 20:49
I just copied this from norfolk-lavender.co.uk. Just googling.

Disease
Shab is the only killer disease. It was this that wiped out the old lavender fields in southern England. Spores of Phoma lavandula appear on the stems as minute black spots and cause the flower stalks to corkscrew and turn brown. Then parts of the bush die. There is no cure for shab, so if it does appear it is best to get rid of the plant completely. Most modern hybrids are resistant to shab, but ‘Munstead’ and occasionally ‘Loddon Pink’ are susceptible.

If a bush has died, it may be because of a hard frost, or because of the unwelcome attentions of dogs.

cuddlepop
28-May-07, 21:03
Thank you for that Statman.
Wondered before if it was a type of disease.The unusual thing was that it grow back the following year.
It may have been the dogs,or next doors cats (they've 6 between both sides of me.
Will cut away all offending branches and fingers crossed.:eek:

karia
29-May-07, 01:07
hi Cuddlepop, Didn't know you were ' besieged' by cats.

Think you can only prune hard & hope!

if it's a good plant,..take a cutting from the healthy stock.

karia

cuddlepop
29-May-07, 12:50
hi Cuddlepop, Didn't know you were ' besieged' by cats.

Think you can only prune hard & hope!

if it's a good plant,..take a cutting from the healthy stock.

karia
Thanks will cut back ,take a cutting amd hope.

The cats even with two dogs still come into the garden,I'm sure its for spite.;)