PDA

View Full Version : 10 Top Footballers Ever - Bobby Moore?

cullbucket
10-Jun-05, 21:45
I just watched through a programme on Sky TV about the 10 top footballers ever and yet again they had Bobby Moore as one of the 'Top 10 Football Legends' that the world has ever seen. Is it just me or does anyone think he is overrated due to the fact that he was captain of Englands world cup winning team. For gawds sake, they didn't even have Eusebio, Best, or Lesby. Or even Maldini if you're talking about class defenders.....
Am I talking rubbsh or does he really deserve his place in the top10? Would he appear in any Top 10 list created outside of England?

doreenhedgehog
10-Jun-05, 22:00
You have answered your own question. He wouldn't be in a top 100 outside of England. He probably isn't close to being one of the top ten English players of all time either.

Sad to say but if he wasn't dead he wouldn't be in it.

Guv79
10-Jun-05, 23:24
Bobby Moore was one of the most graceful and talented defenders ever seen, so in my opinion you are wrong! There has not been a defender of his ability since, until now (John Terry). If you wanted a defender who would do anything to complete his job, lead a team (some his team mates in that England team were mediocre) to win and play some of the best ever attacking players and beat them Bobby Moore was one of the best.

scotsboy
11-Jun-05, 08:02
I think I can remember Pele saying he was one of the best defenders he played against. Moore was a very good player, I would leave it at that.

doreenhedgehog
11-Jun-05, 09:00
I agree with you both, but I don't think that makes him one of the top ten players in the world, ever?

Rheghead
11-Jun-05, 11:48
These top ten voting things are all much of a nonsense anyway. Whether it is the Top ten loves songs of all time, or the top ten most embarrassing moments on TV. I have never watched one of these and predicted the top slot. And when they announce it, I rarely have either heard of it or thought it worthy a top ten placing. They always seem a bit of a let down and I mostly get the feeling, "Have I spent the last 2 hours through drivel for this?"

cullbucket
11-Jun-05, 13:19
Rheghead, we're talking about football players here, not love songs or embarrasing moments and I agree that would have been a waste of time. Maybe I should have been spending my time writing poetry instead of watching the telly?? ;) At least I wasn't at the binge drinking again.....
Its obvious (to me at least) that when the voting stops next week that Pele should take his rightful place at the top of the table, but given the fact that it is a UK vote (85% English) it wouldn't surprise me if Booby Moore has a shout!!

scotsboy
11-Jun-05, 13:22
Well how many other Britons have captained a football side to WORLD cup glory? We always hear about plyers who flatter to deceive on the big stage - well Bobby Moore wasn't one.

cullbucket
11-Jun-05, 13:30
Yeah but we're not talking about British Football Legends, its World Football Legends. I agree Bobby Moore was a great player and fantastic captain. I guess it all boils down to your definition of greatness..... Like when I saw a list here in England last week naming Martin Johnson the greatest ever Rugby player.... made me wild...
Then again I suppose us Scots are not exactly the most unblinkered nation ever either.....

scotsboy
11-Jun-05, 14:35
It could be argued that George Best was the greatest ever player - some would disagree. Maradonna won a World Cup almost single handed (excuse the pun), I hear Keltic fans say Henrik Larson was the greatest player they ever say - but what did he win?? For me a player has to do it at the highest level, that is why players who will never get mentioned in this "poll" are high on my list - because I saw them perform at the highest level and they achieved something, players like Toto Schillaci, Mario Kempes and Gerd Muller.

scorrie
11-Jun-05, 18:35
It could be argued that George Best was the greatest ever player - some would disagree. Maradonna won a World Cup almost single handed (excuse the pun), I hear Keltic fans say Henrik Larson was the greatest player they ever say - but what did he win?? For me a player has to do it at the highest level, that is why players who will never get mentioned in this "poll" are high on my list - because I saw them perform at the highest level and they achieved something, players like Toto Schillaci, Mario Kempes and Gerd Muller.

Schillaci, was a six week wonder in 1990, nothing he did before or after comes close to the success he had during the worst World Cup I ever witnessed. Kempes was much the same in 1978, where Argentina only progressed due to the antics of the Peruvian (Argentinian Born) goalie El Loco (Incidentally, I think Loco is now working with Peruvian second division team Deportivo Wanka) That is a real team by the way!! Gerd Muller was essentially a poacher but at least managed to span two world cups.

I think there are only two contenders, Pele and Maradona. Given that Pele played in teams with much more overall talent up front, I give Diego the nod. I have not seen any better individual goals than the two amazing efforts he produced in the 1986 World Cup. Pretty hard to believe that he did not even make the bench in an all-time team chosen a few years ago, then again since Desmond Lynam and Gabby Yorath were on the panel then it is not really so surprising.

Bobby Moore certainly played against some terrific players in 1970, I'd like to see how John Terry coped with Pele, Jairzhino etc in their prime

scotsboy
11-Jun-05, 19:29
Actually agree with nearly everything you say there Scorrie. I wasn't saying that Schillachi or Kempes were the greatest ever playter, but that they have performed on the highest stage and made a difference. We often criticise "stars" who get the chance but dont perform , it seldom happens that the reverse occurs. Both Schillachi and Kempes played pivitol roles in their respective countries winning the World Cup, and wee Muller is still the top scorer in World Cup finals I think.

Is it any coincidence that Deportivo Wanka play in Green and white?

I also think Maradonna gets the nod as the best ever player.

Greenrunner
11-Jun-05, 21:27
Anyone remember Yashin? (edited....obviously I dont)

steeko
11-Jun-05, 21:34
Tommy Coyne would top my list!

Bellz
12-Jun-05, 13:42
Scotsboy, how can you say a player can only be considered great if he's done it on a big stage? What about the players who don't get the chance due to their country being pants? e.g. Shevchenko (although Ukraine may still qualify for 2006...) and George Weah? Great players, who play or have played in poor international teams. One player cannot win a world cup alone. A good striker needs good service!

scotsboy
12-Jun-05, 14:05
Maradonna did.

I never said that they can only be considered great if they perform at the highest level - I said that was my criteria for judging them. I have seen both players you mention (Weah and Schevchenko) and don't consider them great......good players but not great.

veritas
12-Jun-05, 15:49
My top ten would be

Pele
Di Stefano
Eusabio
Rivilino
Cruyff
Platini
Best
Beckanber
Zoff
Maradona

It would take an exceptional player to move any of these out of the top ten!!!

A no English or Scots anywhere in sight

Stormblast
14-Jun-05, 10:13
Maradona and Kempes deadly as hell!!!

Image that coming at your defence

with Rossi poaching around too

Vasily Rats would be in there too mind yon howitzer against Hungary in Mexico 86 stunning!!!

mike.mckenzie
14-Jun-05, 13:37
Pele
Maradona
Romario
Van Basten
Zidane
Platini
Best
Dalglish
Beckenbauer
Ronaldo

I'll probably come back to that and edit it. No particular order either.