PDA

View Full Version : WHATS LEGAL?

k16pug
10-Jun-05, 20:00
does ne1 know the proper law for window tinting what can i have on front?ppl seem to say the 2 front windows cant get tinted at all,but iv jus bin told that theres legal stuff for the front :roll:

also does any1 have any idea what the DB limit is for an exhaust and can sum1 be fined without there being a DB tester and a calibration certificate?few ppl r gurnin about these 2 modifications r comon for the police to clamp down on no reason y coz they are not harming any1,like most ppl say what r they sitting waiting for speeders wen they cud be doin something about crime in wick when obviously there is crime how can they concentrate on speeders its rediculous,I SAY 'STOP PICKING ON US CRUISERS AND DO SOMETHING THAT WILL BENEFIT THIS BLOODY COUNTY'

Riffman
10-Jun-05, 20:08
I disagree, it is people like you who make our towns full of noisy annoying cars with 'cool' modifications. Most of em look like they fell out of a scrap heap.

Grow up, you make my insurance expensive.

Riff

k16pug
10-Jun-05, 20:14
how do i make ur insurance go up?i only drive like u do! i havnt crashed i dnt race! and theres no mods done to my(ahem i have no car) iam grown up,i was only asking a question as it seems to be a dark area in the law as a couple of m8s have been stopped for it.

2little2late
10-Jun-05, 20:17
When you have grown up you will realise what a prat you were. I guess from your post you must be about 17 and just passed your driving test.

George Brims
10-Jun-05, 20:24
There are two main reasons for the limit on how dark you can tint your windows.

First, if they're too dark you can't see out properly in dim light or after dark, particularly if you get those over-bright EL displays for your dashboard (you see nothing but reflections of how fast you're going!).

The second reason is people can't see in. If I'm driving along and I see a car with its nose poking out from a side road, I feel a lot better if I can see the driver's face and know he/she is at least looking in my direction and aware I'm coming along at speed.

(A third reason in places with higher crime than Caithness is that the cops can't see if the driver has a gun!)

It is possible to get a legal level of tint that will still make your car look cool, but not be extreme. Having the back window a bit tinted is a safety plus in my mind, especially as no-one seems to remember to dip their headlights when following another car any more.

As for the noise level - Riffman said it - grow up! Your car isn't any cooler if it sounds like a wasp trapped in a milk bottle!

2little2late
10-Jun-05, 20:27
how do i make ur insurance go up?i only drive like u do! i havnt crashed i dnt race! and theres no mods done to my(ahem i have no car) iam grown up,i was only asking a question as it seems to be a dark area in the law as a couple of m8s have been stopped for it.

Riff man never said you make his insurance go up, he says you make it expensive. He is actually right, because you are a liability and you seem VERY immature. It's not really very responsible behaviour making all these modifications to your car. Why do you do it? Is it to try and impress the girls? Is it so you can go" cruising" around the street. As a matter of fact you are actually making matters worse for yourself, because whilst you are trying to drive a car that has all these modifications you actually make yourself more noticable to the police.

After all a car is a car so, why don't you forget about all these unnecessary modifications and just drive a standard car. I don't know if you realise but, as you have made all these modifications to your car you have to inform your insurance company to let them know you have modified the car therefore the cost of your insurance will go up.

2little2late
10-Jun-05, 20:29
no iam nearly 20! and no i havnt just passed,i dont even have a car,iam trying to find out the law as the local cops dnt seem very interested but they r very happy to hand out shitty fines

I'm not surprised the police don't want to know. Think they are trying to tell you something, don't you?

k16pug
10-Jun-05, 20:35
for the 3rd time i dont have a car lol i still dont know whjat the limits r lighting percentages etc, do u want me to go out get drunk and act like a complete idiot,walk round wick with nothing to do or drive about not dangering any1 not bothering any1,or sit at home do nothing to satisfy all u people against cruisers,not every1 can be kept happy but come on complaining about noise as if all the exhausts burst ur ear drums? :roll: please tell me wht is wrong with cruising?it is car enthusiasts takin a look at each others cars its like a hobbie,not as if wick is ful of facilities to keep people ocupied. if u ask me the older generation seem to be the problem 40mph on a 60mph road can cause an accident when you go round a corner with a tall-ish hedge its difficult to see,iv been in cars and had a few near misses because ppl think the slower u drive the safer(not a hope in hell is that true)

concerned resident
10-Jun-05, 21:32
Riffman.
Cars were touring around Thurso and Wick when I was a lad, and that was a good few years ago. The cars now, are new ones compared to years ago, much better than I can afford, and as for insurance companies, they will use any reason, so they can put the price up, and rip you off.

K16pug
The tinting of windows does seam to be a grey area, you might be able to get the relevant information from a motoring organisation like the AA, or one of your mates is going to have to challenge the conviction. As long as they keep paying the fines, its easy money for the government whether its legal or illegal, that’s what has got to be proved in court, the police will quite happily continue to get their brownie points for motoring offences, while the criminals are doing their thing, quite undisturbed.
I am surprised by the attitude of forum members, I take it they were never young, and all saints.

Riffman
10-Jun-05, 21:41
I was meerly pointing out that people who modify their cars then get done for it push up the prices for younger drivers. My insurance is in four figures because of people who do that kind of thing. I drive a totally un-modified car, and if I wanted to make any mods to the engine or bodywork it would increase my insurance, now doesn't that seem to be saying something? It seems that people with modified cars make more claims....

Riff

concerned resident
10-Jun-05, 22:08
Riffman.
You can get figures from lots of different bodies, stating this and that.
Conflicting information.
What ever part you want to believe, the insurance company will say this is why we have to increase the price. If nobody had an accident, they would still find a reason.
It’s a cartel, we have no choice, we have to have insurance, to take car on the road.

pie2000
11-Jun-05, 00:17
Hi K16 pug

As far as i am aware you can only have light smoke on the front windows (nothing on windscreen) and you can put it as black as you like on the rear windows I hope this helps you. :Razz

Riffman

Tell us what kind of car you drive that is un-modified that requires a four figure sum to insure it? I think you should be shopping around a bit more eh :eek:

k16pug
11-Jun-05, 00:45
cheers pie2000,i was gona say my insurance for a reasonably good car isnt even in 4 figures for insurance e.g a 1.6 saxo vtr!! so u must be driving a very expensive car riffman! and as i have said i dont even drive a car so how can u call me immature iam wanting to know about this 2 grey areas on the law,on behalf of sum m8s,so please tell me how iam immature if i 1:dont cruise 2:dont have a modified car!!!! iam dissapointed with the attitudes iam getin judged because i asked a question!!! OMG you people who called me immature and need to grow i think you need to look at what you wrote and think again coz i dont even cruise!

EDDIE
11-Jun-05, 10:01
Hi k16pug if ure wanting to know the legal requirements for customisng cars you should ask a traffic commisioner and there should be one in wick.A traffic commisioner is employed by the government which that person tests all the hgv and psv vehicles for mots and oversees the mot testing stations in caithness thats were the police takes cars that they think are un roadworthy.You can get the address of any mot station.And just so you know a Traffic commisioners word is the final decision on what s legal and isnt.
Me personally i think its good to see cars customised and i think all the older people here have forgoten what its like to be teenager with your first car.And your only young once so enjoy it while it lasts

k16pug
11-Jun-05, 10:14
cheers eddie,thats spot on info ill have to follow that up,finally sum1 that answered my question!!! didnt realise how judgmental people were my god i mean i only asked a question and im getin put across as a immature person that sticks cool bumpers and an exhaust on a car i just simply dont have :roll: :roll: i think those keyboard warriors who called me immature need to read carefully the next time and reply with thought,not jumping to ur old fashioned biased comments,quite simply i dont care if you dont lke modified cars it was not my question! cheers to the people who have been helpful :D

captain chaos
11-Jun-05, 10:48
As of 1st January 2004 the government has rewritten the law to incorporate a tint level of seventy percent visible light transmission on the front driver and passenger side windows. With most vehicles this level of tint is incorporated in the glass from the factory, therefore the installation of any additional tinted window film would be an infringement of the law by us, the installer, and by you, the customer.

Window Tinting - Amendments to Legislation

Section 32 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations have been amended to include "Window Tint Films" where such materials attached to the glass are capable of reducing the Visible Light Transmission of forward windows to below prescribed levels (70% VLT for windows forward of the 'B' pillar)

This will effectively ban the practice in future of applying virtually all tinted films to windows forward to the 'B' pillar on any vehicle that is to be driven on UK roads.

The reason for these changes is the recent proliferation of vehicles that are excessively tinted. Some vehicles may be so heavily tinted that they present a real danger when used on public roads. The action being taken by the government follows a fatality that occurred recently where a heavily tinted car was involved in a collision with a motorcycle and the window tints were held to blame due to the vision of the driver being impaired.

There is however, a recognised difference between "light window tints" which may be considered safe for road use and "excessively dark window tints" which are not.

There has also been a great deal of debate in recent years about the legitimacy of window tints that do not obscure the vision of the driver. A clear case has been argued that road safety window tints do not actually conflict with the existing regulations. The Department for Transport have argued however, that section 32 was always intended to cover materials attached to the glass, despite the fact that no mention is made in the Regulation itself. The only solution remaining would be to amend the legislation.

Consequently and in order to clarify the situation, the Government have finally decided to up-date the Regulations to specially include Tinted Films since, in the view of the Police and the Department for Transport, this is the only way in which the problems of excessive tints can be remedied.

Unfortunately however, even tint films that may be considered to be safe for road use till now be viewed as in conflict with Regulations, enabling the Police and Vehicle Inspectorate to take action against vehicle owners.

This has significant implications for the owners of vehicles that have window tints and also those that are responsible for installing or selling window tints.

Implications for the installer and motor retailer

From 1st January 2004 , any Motor retailer that sells a vehicle that has window tint films applied which reduce the visible light transmission level to below the prescribed levels forward of the 'B' pillar is committing an offence and runs the risk of prosecution under section 75 of the 1988 Road Traffic Act with reference to Section 41 (which refers to Construction and Use Regulations)

In a similar way, anyone responsible for the fitment of window tints which reduce visible light transmission levels to below prescribed levels on windows forward of the 'B' pillar is committing an offence and can be prosecuted under Section 76 of the Road Traffic Act.

Implications for the vehicle owner

After much discussion, a sympathetic policy has been agreed between the Department for Transport and the Glass and Glazing Federation to ensure that all vehicle owners that have had tints applied in the past may be dealt with fairly. This applies in particular where the infringement is with respect to tints that do not pose a significant threat to Road Safety, despite being in convention with the amendment regulations.

As of January 1st 2004, the owner of a vehicle that has tints applied forward of the 'B' pillar is liable to be challenged by either the Police of by an Inspector from the Department for Transport's Vehicle Inspectorate, where their vehicle is notices being driven on public roads.

Where such a vehicle is stopped and the window tints applied are such that the visible list transmission level, when measured using an appropriate device, falls to below prescribed levels, the following enforcement guidelines have been agreed with and recommended by the Government.

Above 30% Visible Light Transmission (Less severe window tints)

The driver or owner of such a vehicle will be required to have the tinted film removed from the window under the direction of a rectification notice or a prohibition notice. A period of grace will apply for a limited number of days (normally ten) during which time the vehicle may be driven whilst the rectification work is to be completed. In either case, the vehicle will need to be inspected by a Police Officer or Vehicle Inspectorate Office to confirm that the glass has been restored to a compliant condition. Prosecution is unlikely in such circumstances provided the vehicle owner complies fully.

Below 30% Visible Light Transmission (Excessively dark window tints)

The driver or owner of such a vehicle may be issued with an immediate Prohibition Notice and immediately prevented from driving the vehicle on public roads until the tints have been removed and either a Police Officer or Vehicle Inspectorate Office confirms that the glass has been restored to a compliant condition. It is also possible depending on the severity of the offence, that the owner may be prosecuted for driving a vehicle in a non-roadworthy or even dangerous condition with the potential for penalty points and a fine.

Driving such a vehicle on public roads before the tints have been removed and before a Prohibition notice has been lifted will be a serious offence and the owner or driver is likely to be prosecuted.

k16pug
11-Jun-05, 11:24
so basically cops up here have nothing better to do so any window tint on the front and it has to come off,cheers for that info,where did you get that information from is there a website i can go on to check out motoring laws specifically on modifying?cheers

Rheghead
11-Jun-05, 11:27
I am sorry but I just this visual image of the sort of person who go for tinted windows in cars. They listen to gangster rap at full blast, they wear far too much bling bling, and they wear those ridiculous leather caps that the guy in Village People and Freddie Mercury used to wear.

Hardly cool for Caithness don't you think?

k16pug
11-Jun-05, 13:06
window tint reflects uv light and protects or slows down car thieves from getin in cars,and i saw a car today wiv black windows in wick he wasnt under 50 thats for sure! he didnt seem to hav wat u call a cap and bling bling rubbish,and rap music is rubbish,so u have got me total wrong jus because i asked a question,typical its to be expected, i do not drive a modified car for the 4th time can u not read or what,i was simply enquiring on behalf of a couple of mates on this black asrea in the law.

Riffman
11-Jun-05, 13:32
What car? Well all I'll say is that it is a 1.3l. I tried absolutly every insurance company that I could find and last years insurance was £1025. Although this year it was about £960. Bloody expensive. It would have been cheaper but I we had to start from 0 years no claims because you cannot use them from another car if you are still using the other car.

Riff

Drutt
11-Jun-05, 13:53
I tried absolutly every insurance company that I could find and last years insurance was £1025. Although this year it was about £960. Bloody expensive. It would have been cheaper but I we had to start from 0 years no claims because you cannot use them from another car if you are still using the other car.
Blimey, Riffman! If I may ask... what age are you and how many points do you have on your licence?

k16pug
11-Jun-05, 14:13
for a 1.3 your havin laugh ur getting ripped off you must have been convicted before or your car is worth a good few thousand,maybe its toyota starlet turbo its a 1.3! cant be a ford ka or a proton for that insurance noway, i can get insured for a 1.8 for that price :roll: you need to shop arpund a bit more,try the back of the max power book :D
BY THE WAY HAS ANY1 SEEN A SILVER CLIO IN WICK ALLOYS LOWERED AND AN EXHAUST THINK IT IS L REG AN OLDER GUY DRIVES IT>?

Rheghead
11-Jun-05, 14:40
Cruising is bad because it is a non essential journey. These young people should be reminded that the whole world is trying cut down carbon dioxide emissions. Cruising around Thurso does nothing to curb carbon emissions or enhance one's 'coolness'.

It is pointless for me to try to change to biofuels and cycle the 12 miles to work when a mindless eejit is emitting carbon dioxide for no reason... [disgust]

dawncw
11-Jun-05, 18:14
i think those keyboard warriors who called me immature need to read carefully the next time and reply with thought,not jumping to ur old fashioned biased comments,quite simply i dont care if you dont lke modified cars it was not my question! :D

Well said!!!!!

champagnebaby
11-Jun-05, 19:39
keyboard warriors :D

LMAO That's the best one i've heard yet [lol]

Riffman
11-Jun-05, 23:46
for a 1.3 your havin laugh ur getting ripped off you must have been convicted before or your car is worth a good few thousand,maybe its toyota starlet turbo its a 1.3! cant be a ford ka or a proton for that insurance noway, i can get insured for a 1.8 for that price :roll: you need to shop arpund a bit more,try the back of the max power book :D
BY THE WAY HAS ANY1 SEEN A SILVER CLIO IN WICK ALLOYS LOWERED AND AN EXHAUST THINK IT IS L REG AN OLDER GUY DRIVES IT>?

No convictions, warnings, or points. It is a fairly pricy car, but that is that lowest I could get for it. Starting with 0 years no claims gives crazy prices. It could have been only £250 if my dad had transferred his noclaims off his car, but he decided not too, even though it would have worked out cheaper... :roll:

Absolut1
12-Jun-05, 00:00
As far as I know the exhaust noise is a grey area, to my knowledge you cannot fail an mot for it. Althou it is measured for the ESVA. Track limits are usually 100db, but how loud is loud in the eyes of the authorities my last car needed earplugs to drive more than 2 miles but it was basically a hillclimb car & i was never stopped by the police & yes i would say a noise meter would have to be there if they did decide to stop for noise pollution.

I think currently the scottish police are having a crackdown on non standard exhausts, usually claiming they are to noisy or blown. I have heard of people in the past being made to remove them even if they are only days old & refit a quieter one but that wasnt the current police force but one of past.

As for tinting liimo tint is waaayyy to dark, why do you think the cars with tints drive with windows down @ night, they cant see the junctions. I have a rear tinted screen on my car & it helps to cut down headlight glare at night.

Absolut1
12-Jun-05, 00:08
I was meerly pointing out that people who modify their cars then get done for it push up the prices for younger drivers. My insurance is in four figures because of people who do that kind of thing. I drive a totally un-modified car, and if I wanted to make any mods to the engine or bodywork it would increase my insurance, now doesn't that seem to be saying something? It seems that people with modified cars make more claims....

Riff

Your insurance goes by, age, experiance, type of car, safety of car, area, number of accidents in the postal area, claims points etc.

Just because person A modified his car doesnt make person B's premiums more, A will pay more because of his declared modifications. Person B's car could have alloys which he then changes to aftermarket ones & thinks because they're still alloys & the car had alloys originally its ok , his insurance would then be void as he hadnt declared them, he might not class his car as modified thou due to it not being performance enhancing

Drutt
12-Jun-05, 00:58
Your insurance goes by, age, experiance, type of car, safety of car, area, number of accidents in the postal area, claims points etc.

Just because person A modified his car doesnt make person B's premiums more, A will pay more because of his declared modifications. Person B's car could have alloys which he then changes to aftermarket ones & thinks because they're still alloys & the car had alloys originally its ok , his insurance would then be void as he hadnt declared them, he might not class his car as modified thou due to it not being performance enhancing
Heavily-tinted windows cause more accidents. As more accidents happen, so the insurance companies pay out more money. As they pay out more money, so premiums increase. Do drivers of heavily-tinted cars get the correctly proportional increase as the accident rate increases? No they do not. When the accident rate increases, we all pay.

laura@njsracing
12-Jun-05, 10:30
Sorry but having used to work in an insurance brokers I can honestly say that they will not increase your premium at renewal wihout good reason. Although insurance rates do increase annually so does everything else... it's called inflation!!

Yes, I'll admit that in some instances the insurance premiums do seem excessive but as long as you are prepared to shop around, chances are you will find a better premium!

A lot of "standard" insurance companies/schemes do not like:

* drivers under 25 years old
* drivers on a provisional licence
* drivers who have previously been disqualified/convicted
* heavily modified cars, especially owned by young drivers

As for not being able to use your no claims discount on two cars at once, in one sense this is correct but if you shop around a lot of companies nowadays will offer you an introductory no claims discount on a second car, provided it is not used for business purposes.

So the best advice I can give you is to go through somewhere like Max Power and look for an insurer who specialises in young drivers/convicted drivers/modified cars and then you SHOULD get a better rate of insurance.

And for the record, I watched a documentary recently justifying modified cars which went into great detail to support young drivers who want that "something different" and like they said not many youngsters these days can afford to go and buy a house with the current market prices so they live at home with parents/family so why shouldn't they spend their well earned time and money doing up the thing that means something to them? And after you've spent all that time and money on your pride and joy of course you will want to show it off to other car enthusiasts - it's not all about "making it go faster", as I'm sure most of you will agree, a lot of modifications are about appearance not performance!

As for the legal limits on window tinting, if you go to any respectable window tinting company they should be able to tell you the legal percentages you can have on your car. If you go to an MOT testing centre or a specialised exhaust manufacturer/fitter they should also be able to advise if there is a legal limit on the decibel level of your car exhaust and if so what it is (just remember the louder the car exhaust is the less power you've got!).

Laura xxx

Rheghead
12-Jun-05, 11:28
(just remember the louder the car exhaust is the less power you've got!).

I could be wrong but I always thought that any sound baffling measures did the opposite, ie they reduced power because they restrict the flow of exhaust...

By the way Laura, I would delete your opening statement as I fear your whole post may get pulled.

Drutt
12-Jun-05, 12:12
Sorry but having used to work in an insurance brokers I can honestly say that they will not increase your premium at renewal wihout good reason. Although insurance rates do increase annually so does everything else... it's called inflation!!
Ha ha ha ha... inflation! Inflation's running at about 3.7% at the moment. I don't know anyone whose premiums only went up by inflation.

Insurance premiums (for cars, buildings, contents, health, pet etc.) have, for the last few years, increased far in excess of the inflation rate. It's one of the main reasons there are so many uninsured drivers on the road, and so many people risking not having contents insurance. The number of uninsured drivers means that we all pay more, and far in access of inflation. Having worked in an insurance brokers, I'd have thought you'd be aware of that.

Through
12-Jun-05, 14:07
I've heard of people who've been ordered by the police to remove tinting from front windows. Even although the owner knew them to be legal. One of the problems we have is that police are human and make mistakes just like everyone else. However, it is no consolation to know that, when they can affect our lives with their mistakes, when we have very little recourse in practice. In one instance, the police actually started to peel the tint from the window, just to make sure that compliance would follow.

Rheghead
12-Jun-05, 14:31
I've heard of people who've been ordered by the police to remove tinting from front windows. Even although the owner knew them to be legal. One of the problems we have is that police are human and make mistakes just like everyone else. However, it is no consolation to know that, when they can affect our lives with their mistakes, when we have very little recourse in practice. In one instance, the police actually started to peel the tint from the window, just to make sure that compliance would follow.

I am very surprised by your post if it is true. Firstly, if the tinting is legal then there is nothing that the Police can do about it. Secondly, if the Police started to peel the tinting from the windows without the owners consent, then the policeman is committing criminal damage whether the tinting was legal or not.

laura@njsracing
12-Jun-05, 16:31
Ha ha ha ha... inflation! Inflation's running at about 3.7% at the moment. I don't know anyone whose premiums only went up by inflation.

Insurance premiums (for cars, buildings, contents, health, pet etc.) have, for the last few years, increased far in excess of the inflation rate. It's one of the main reasons there are so many uninsured drivers on the road, and so many people risking not having contents insurance. The number of uninsured drivers means that we all pay more, and far in access of inflation. Having worked in an insurance brokers, I'd have thought you'd be aware of that.

I never said that insurance rates were increasing at the SAME RATE AS INFLATION, my point was simply that the cost of everything in life increases whether we like it or not!!

captain chaos
12-Jun-05, 16:35
Through wrote

If you had read my previous post you would have noted that 7% tint is all that is allowed on front windows .As most car makers already include a 7% tint on car windows any additional tint on front windows after 2004 is illegal, so the police would be correct in asking for it to be removed

Drutt
12-Jun-05, 17:04
I never said that insurance rates were increasing at the SAME RATE AS INFLATION!
No, you didn't explicitly state that. What you did say was...

Although insurance rates do increase annually so does everything else... it's called inflation!!
Am I to read your mind and assume that you meant "it's called inflation plus x plus y plus z"?

No, your statement implied that insurance rates only increase annually in line with inflation, which is absolutely not the case.

The Angel Of Death
12-Jun-05, 18:26
What car? Well all I'll say is that it is a 1.3l. I tried absolutly every insurance company that I could find and last years insurance was £1025. Although this year it was about £960. Bloody expensive. It would have been cheaper but I we had to start from 0 years no claims because you cannot use them from another car if you are still using the other car.

Riff

Been driving on a parents insurance for 5 years changed to my own with a new driver (passed that very day) both under 25 (me 24 other half 23) y reg 1.8 nissen

First year insurance £700 ish

Second year £600

Yes some insurance company's wouldnt look at us and some were over £1000 (dearest was £1400 ish if i remember correctly) and some companys wouldnt even look at us because we was both under 25

norwich union direct is who were with and that was all done in an afternoons (2 - 3 hours) phoning around

laura@njsracing
12-Jun-05, 18:31
I never said that insurance rates were increasing at the SAME RATE AS INFLATION!
No, you didn't explicitly state that. What you did say was...

Although insurance rates do increase annually so does everything else... it's called inflation!!
Am I to read your mind and assume that you meant "it's called inflation plus x plus y plus z"?

No, your statement implied that insurance rates only increase annually in line with inflation, which is absolutely not the case.

Like I said everything in life increases in price, there is nothing you can do to stop it so deal with it. I did not by any means suggest that insurance increases were at the same rate as inflation increases therefore do not criticise something I did not say!!

Absolut1
12-Jun-05, 21:48
(just remember the louder the car exhaust is the less power you've got!).

Laura xxx

I wouldnt agree with that, a rotary engine makes more power with a free flowing exhaust which is generally noisier than a standard one. What about pulse tuning, manifold lengths free flowing cats all these create differnt sound levels, back pressure etc & are usually used in the quest for more power

teddybear1873
12-Jun-05, 22:16
If there's 1 thing that gets me cheesed of on these message boards is someone who ask's a question or makes a comment then you get these people who start bullying eg.. at k16pug...Give the man a break, he only asked a question...I'm a afraid to say it but some of the views or comments that iv'e read in this topic that there are bully's on these message boards..these message boards in the early days started of tame but now everything seems to blow out with witty comments or arguments....I'm afraid to say but some of you people are sad.........I rest my case...

captain chaos
12-Jun-05, 22:26
teddybear1873

You hit the nail on the head

Instead of trying to answer k16pug , the ranting started and the talking out the butt comments continued.

Jeees give give the man a break.

squidge
12-Jun-05, 22:29
I agree

Give the lad a break - he is just doing up his car and riding around

teddybear1873
12-Jun-05, 22:52
Thank you Captain Chaos and Squidge...Hopefully the bickering and nasty comments on the message boards will cease to excist lol....

JammyDodger69
13-Jun-05, 02:03
My cars got window tints on it, front drivers and passanger windows and both the rear doors done, plannin doin that back window too..

My reason for doin it, well cause I can I guess and I liked how it looked..

As for people moddin cars.. why not? I'm 28 and if I had the cash I'd go the full hog on the thing too..

I can see peoples points on the environment issues and the emissions and things, were they thinkin about that years ago before the cats were fitted?

Someone said before to grow up.. Hows modding childish?

And I dont like gangster rap and dont have any bling!

luskentyre
14-Jun-05, 01:17
does ne1 know the proper law for window tinting what can i have on front?ppl seem to say the 2 front windows cant get tinted at all,but iv jus bin told that theres legal stuff for the front :roll:

also does any1 have any idea what the DB limit is for an exhaust and can sum1 be fined without there being a DB tester and a calibration certificate?few ppl r gurnin about these 2 modifications r comon for the police to clamp down on no reason y coz they are not harming any1,like most ppl say what r they sitting waiting for speeders wen they cud be doin something about crime in wick when obviously there is crime how can they concentrate on speeders its rediculous,I SAY 'STOP PICKING ON US CRUISERS AND DO SOMETHING THAT WILL BENEFIT THIS BLOODY COUNTY'

I'd say that reducing the amount of idiots cruising around towns, clogging up the roads and generally pissing people off would "benefit the bloody county". As for having nothing to do in Wick, maybe some literacy classes would be in order?

weeboyagee
14-Jun-05, 13:52
Aww heck!! Just couldn't resist adding to this thread after looking at all the contributions to date!! I have no shame in saying that since I was the age of k16pug I've always liked the thought of having a nice car - back then it was for cruising with my mates too!!!

When I first passed my test I drove my Dad's Cortina...nice, run o' the mill car, got you A to B all in good time. I got my own first car a year later. Black Orion 1.6i Ghia :cool: , 4 years old and in cracking condition. I washed and polished that car so often in a week that not only could I see my face in it :eek: I nearly went through the paint work! 11 months later it was cartwheeled 3.5 times in a ditch at speed and landed me and my mate in Raigmore - he for a longer period of time than me.

Learn my lesson? Course I did! Two months later, I bought another Black Orion 1.6i Ghia, two years younger! Promised I would be a good boy and look after it. Moved onto a Black Sierra 2.0 GL later. Between me and another mate we pranged that car 3 times - good job he was a panel beater/paint sprayer to trade - saved me thousands!

When of to a Jambos match (used to do that often back then) went to a garage in Glasgow and saw a black car and drooled over the thought of ever having one of them (not telling anyone just now what it was - will give the show away :p ).

Got older and started to buy more what people would call sensible cars - not sporty, good on fuel, cheaper insurance etc. What happened? I got caught more often speeding with those cars, lost my license, points after points, dearer insurance etc! How ironic. I was worse off being older and wiser than I was when I was younger with my mates cruising round the streets with my mate standing up through the sun roof beckoning to all the girls - and c'mon youz guyz who were in the same boat back then - remember how we used to slow down going passed the Swinton Insurance window (before the precint and across from Beelie Moch's) to see how shiny we had polished the car!!! Ahh, those were the days! Sure - we got up noses of the better in society - especially when (A) UGA, (B) EGE and (A) SSP (that was the three black orions) used to tail and chase each other round the streets!!! SIGH! :~(

I can't remember who's post script says "Live the dream don't dream the life" on this web site but y'know somethin k16pug? I'm a dashed sight older now and I am in the processing of getting rid of all those "sensible" cars, 'cause I went to London and got the upgraded model of the car of my dreams those many years ago!! And I feel great in it!!! I got the tinting for the windows and I found out all about it's use a month ago. The car is in Inverness getting her service at the moment and to me there isn't a car like her in the county!! She's turned every head to the point that the Citylink driver got off his bus and came over to ask me what kind of car and where did I get her - and he was no spring chicken! You DO feel good in a good car - some folk in bigger smarter cars, some in wee sma' cars! Some prefer bikes, some tractors - but prefer not to cruise with them (until Gala day comes and they pull a float - see their gleamin' tractor then - and whose got the biggest and the most powerful - heh-heh!). I'm not here to offend those who shun or otherwise dispise those who like their car, take it for a spin or cruise (although my days of that are over!!) Just here to say that boys will be boys (and there's girls cruising too!) Cruising won't stop, and the few amongst the more mature generation won't stop their tut-tut-shouldn't-be-allowed! The car will be back in the county in a weeks time - so maybe see ya on the streets, I'm sure you won't miss her, she's a beauty! Yeh, so what - 4 figure insurance, group 20d etc (no thanks to the sensible cars!) but I sit in it and feel 19 again! C'mon guys, we were all young once!

There! - I'm glad I posted it!

squidge
14-Jun-05, 16:26
I'd say that reducing the amount of idiots cruising around towns, clogging up the roads and generally pissing people off would "benefit the bloody county".?

Come on luskentyre - clogging up the roads? Where have YOU got to go that you are delayed so badly by cruisers? They hardly cause traffic chaos now do they? Some days you may have to wait to turn right opposite the church in Wick but its hardly a "traffic jam". They may rev their engine a wee bit but they are hardly a "nusiance"

As for having nothing to do in Wick, maybe some literacy classes would be in order?

I thought we were trying to avoid thius sort of sniping? You clearly could understand what K16PUG intended to say in his posts cos you replied to it. This type of writing is not illiterate - there dont appear to be too many spelling "mistakes", it is a conscious choice by K16 PUG to write this way and as it appears we can all understand what he was asking why would you insult him?

Finally - I smiled yesterday - in Macdonalds in inverness yesterday and the music playing was Come on Eileen by Dexy's MIdnight runners.

23 years ago this month i was enjoying a carefree summer and i spent most of it "cruising" around Hollingworth lake (http://www.rochdale.gov.uk/Leisure/Attract.asp?url=cpHollingworth)in a sparkly purple allegro - happy days of picnics and kisses

weeboyagee
14-Jun-05, 17:48
Now your talking squidge! :lol: Rolling Stones, ZZ Top, Status Quo (oops - give away clue of the village!), we used to play the music at full blast with the window down going through the street - nothing's changed - you still hear the bass speakers of a car waiting at the traffic lights round the corner before you see it or hear it's exhaust noise - hah-hah :D.

How age (although we're still young at heart!) mellows our minds! Wait 'til we're another 20 years older and caithness.org is still going and we've become the "keyboard warriors" that have-a-go or have little time to understand the complexity of teenagers and their contemporaries - teenagers - forgive us now in advance of our grumpiness!

Mind you - space age technology will have advanced and it'll be the WHOOOOOOSH!!!!!! sound that will be too loud then! :roll:

Malcolmdog
14-Jun-05, 23:21
Hi K16pug

What a giggle it has been to read some of these posts!! Transcontinental and trans generational issues!

Your small town is perfect - if tinted windows and cruisers are your most pressing worries - enjoy.. Your lives are so uncomplicated!!!!

We have the same tint questions; here the kids like the windows as black as coal with the purple/blue glow tubes under the car; really cool at night - looks like the car is hovering on the highway. So much money is invested in these cars, that I find, they are the most considerate of drivers!!! They know that driving is a privilege and NOT a right.

I agree with you - slow drivers are a pain... Here we travel 100 km per hour ++++(that is the posted speed limit) and sure enough there is always one clown in the fast lane doing 60kmph. Usually followed by a tow truck and an ambulance!

The problem with insurance rates are, as one boarder indicated, age groups ( and finally genders) - their statistics are lumped together and their insurance premiums reflect the risk that they pose as drivers!! at one end are the youngsters under 25 and at the other end the 65+ gang!! one with inexperience and errors and the other with medication and errors!!!

PS nice net speak - not an error in grammar or spelling!!! GOOD FOR YOU!! - happy cruising.

malcolmdog

weeboyagee
14-Jun-05, 23:41
Well, well,...blow me down - Canada on line! How are ya Malcolmdog!?? I forgot all about your two lads who are in the same age group! What you didn't say is that you secretly are still stinging from last year and haven't yet forgiven the cops that weren't happy for the WEE bit over the 100+ that you were allowed to do! Heh-heh!

I remember when we were downtown in Toronto last time I was over and the cruisers were business men in big cars, flash, petrol guslers and cruising for a reason that was a heck of lot more shameful than any of the young guns you saw cruising the streets of Wick last time you were over, eh? ;)

Better not let the younger of your two get a car - or he might join the cruisers and then mothers wrath will out!! :D

Malcolmdog
15-Jun-05, 13:22
You are perfectly right about the sights in T.O. weeboyagee!!! As long as my guys join the Cruisers in Wick I have no problem!!! Hope all the cruisers have onboard computers - hard for my two to miss their chats with chicks!!! :)

And yes, my friend, I did get ONE speeding ticket - which was forgiven because the officier did not know that F = female and M = male and that he needed to correctly identify the driver as either / or !!! Pays to read your traffic tickets!!!

Happy Cruising!

roybacer
26-Jun-05, 11:48
well no1 has answered the question yet,whats the legal limit for exhaust db and the legal percentage for window tint?al the anti-cruisers decided to kick in and be nasty,nothing wrong with a modified car :D ill continue with my straight thru exhausts pipercross filters and window tinting no matter what the police say haha louder and darker the better,even if it does annoy those sad people that worry about harmless cruisers when sum house is getin broken into or an assault is happening the police are worried about a bit of noise and a car being to low,they need to get there priorities sorted out!!!

captain chaos
26-Jun-05, 17:03
well no1 has answered the question yet,whats the legal limit for exhaust db and the legal percentage for window tint?

roybacer

You obviously have not read my replies as twice now I have replied with the legal limits for tint. ;)

I know it’s difficult to read helpful replies in amongst all the havering, but the answer for tint is there. :Razz :Razz

roybacer
26-Jun-05, 17:23
exhaust is 85db at 3rd of the engine speed and ur right about window tint