PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Horizons

DrSzin
10-Jun-05, 11:07
What do people think of the Thurso Town Hall Caithness Horizons (http://caithnesshorizons.co.uk/) project? Here is an excerpt from the front page of their website:

Caithness Horizons is a project to create an outstanding facility in the centre of Thurso, for the benefit of the local community and of visitors to Caithness and the North Highlands. It will involve the refurbishment of Thurso Town Hall and the Carnegie Library, to reveal the natural architectural quality of these Victorian buildings. As well as providing modern facilities for community use, the refurbished buildings will contain a high quality museum telling the story of the area and building on existing exhibitions owned by Thurso Heritage Society and the UKAEA’s Visitor Centre at Dounreay. The main permanent exhibition will include an interactive display to promote the tourism attractions and places of interest to visit throughout the North Highlands.

It looks rather good to me, but I'm not quite sure it has the je ne sais quoi needed for it to be a big success. Wouldn't it also result in big changes in the pattern of usage of the Town Hall? Would there still be room for events that need a large open space?

gleeber
10-Jun-05, 16:07
I like the idea too Doc. The present Town Hall is one of the dourest drollest buildings in Thurso both inside and outside.
Unfortunately I note the usual suspects are all lining up to be involved and to gain their piece of immortality in local history but that says more about me than it does about them to get upset by that.
John Thurso says it will be a magnet for tourism. I say, make it a magnet for the local community and let the tourists join in.
I often walk around the present museum in the Carnegie Library and rarely do I see anyone else in there. Are they going to set up an area for the museum on an all year round basis or will they change it after the initial 3 week tourist season ends?
Why a council service point? Theres half a dozen council workers 100 yards up the street in the burgh chambers doing a job Cathy Macfarline did on her own.
Still, itll be intersting to see what develops from all the talk.

Rheghead
12-Jun-05, 01:02
I like the idea but is it true that Wick Heritage shunned the whole idea?

DrSzin
12-Jun-05, 16:30
From the small number of replies, I would hazard a guess that not many people are thinking about the Caithness Horizons project at all.

Rheghead
13-Jun-05, 03:08
I for one will be doing my bit for Caithness Horizons. I am currently involved in a project to open up a Coast to Coast offroad cycle route and walkers route from the North Coast near Reay to Berriedale. In my opinion this will be a great asset to the county if certain criteria is fulfilled. In fact a route has been proposed and I have been proposed and I personally have agreed to do the first trans-reconnaissance of it. A route of around 50-60 miles through the flow country.