PDA

View Full Version : Found a pup!

brandy
26-May-07, 22:03
finally we have found our puppy.. it will be a few weeks before we get her, but it will give us plenty of time to prepare!
going for a lovley little black labradoodle bitch.
they are sooooo lovley, and mum and dad were so good natured and behaved!
home bred pups, very fat and chunky! *grins*
mum came in while we were cuddling babies, and she just wanted a cuddle as well! no bother that we were there at all!
and dad was well interested in us.. he let us all have a cuddle and gave pups a lick, and was great with our kids!
its amazing how things tend to fall in place!
we ended up choosing the labradoodle for several reasons,
their temperments and natures was the number one reason.
they are a good size to play along with kids..
and they tend to be less casters than most breeds.
as sam has slight asthma and ben was alergic as a baby.. (has now outgrown it) thought it would be the best choice.
oooh cant wait for the weeks to pass!

buggyracer
26-May-07, 23:37
finally we have found our puppy.. it will be a few weeks before we get her, but it will give us plenty of time to prepare!
going for a lovley little black labradoodle bitch.
they are sooooo lovley, and mum and dad were so good natured and behaved!
home bred pups, very fat and chunky! *grins*
mum came in while we were cuddling babies, and she just wanted a cuddle as well! no bother that we were there at all!
and dad was well interested in us.. he let us all have a cuddle and gave pups a lick, and was great with our kids!
its amazing how things tend to fall in place!
we ended up choosing the labradoodle for several reasons,
their temperments and natures was the number one reason.
they are a good size to play along with kids..
and they tend to be less casters than most breeds.
as sam has slight asthma and ben was alergic as a baby.. (has now outgrown it) thought it would be the best choice.
oooh cant wait for the weeks to pass!

well done, the pups sound great, every child should have a puppy, it teaches them so much about duties and responibillitys etc, good luck with your new addition!!

Lolabelle
27-May-07, 08:05
I recently saw a road test of Labradoodles on the telly and they seem like fantastic family pets. Congratulations. I love the smell of puppies. They are so gorgeous. I go for puppies like most people go for babies.

Ash
27-May-07, 08:23
hey we just picked up our golden cocker spaniel yesterday, he is gorgeous he's 7weeks and called alfie,,,our wee girl loves him!! let the fun begin!!!

Liz
27-May-07, 17:43
Where are you getting your puppy from Brandy?

brandy
28-May-07, 11:28
a lady in thurso.. her lab bitch has had a litter with her standard poodle

cuddlepop
28-May-07, 13:16
So glad you found your puppy.
It'll be good for the kids and the pup to grow up together.:D
Pup got a name yet?

brandy
28-May-07, 15:28
nope we are still working on that.. she is a little black bitch.. but so far no names that we can agree on!
it was the same when i was preg. took the whole 9 mnths to agree

stewart4364
28-May-07, 16:29
Hi Brandy,

You say that you have got a lovely wee dog -- wait until it grows up -- I have a black male labradoodle and he is certainly is a BIG boy, All the best when you get her.

brandy
28-May-07, 16:33
*laughs* thanks stewart! we are hoping she will be a big girl! ive not seen a full grown doodle in person yet.. but have seen the standard poodles!
ive big boys.. for young ages so need a pup that can keep up with two large energetic boys!

crustyroll
28-May-07, 23:05
I'm glad you found a puppy but did the breeder in question do any health tests on either the bitch or sire? It's hard enough to get people to do the proper health tests on LABS let alone on two different breeds of dogs :mad:

A whole can of worms are going to be opened with all the crossbreeding that's taking place at the moment :~(

I hope she's not charging you a fortune for what is basically a mongrel, even if the original parents are purebred?

brandy
28-May-07, 23:32
actually compared to what labradoodles normally sell for, our girl isnt expensive at all...
both parents are in fine health..
i have been doing a LOT of reading on labradoodles.. and they seem to be a wonderful breed..
the breed was orig. made by a man in aussie.. to help a sighted lady who need a guide dog, but her husband had severe alergies. he bred the standard poodle and lab for obvious reasons.. the poodle for its coat and high intelegence, and the lab for it temper and uses as guide dogs.
the crossing of these two "pure bred" which simply means that a type of dog breeds true, and is the same everytime.
these dogs even though they are not reconised by the kennel club, have had wonderful sucess as guide dogs, therapy dogs (exspecially for children) rescue dogs and many other very noble causes.
when we decided on a dog, the main thing we were concerned with was temperment and being able to fit into our family.
and im more than happy to pay a couple hundred pounds for a "mutt" any day, than to pay several hundred for a foul tempered purebred.. which a lot of them are if you are not careful.
as for health issues.. mixed breeds tend to be healthier than any other breed, as thier lines are not so close, and the chance of line breeding and inbreeding is a lot less.. *Grins*
as i said.. have been doing a LOT of reading!!

stewart4364
29-May-07, 10:12
Hi Brandy,

I have a black labradoodle. What you have to watch with them is possible hip trouble. Before you part with your money you should get it checked over by your Vet. It could be worth it in the long run.

Liz
29-May-07, 13:26
Brandy, whilst I applaud you for reading up on dogs there is an awful lot more to just reading about them Are you prepared for quite a few months of really hard work which you will have to put into training it etc . Also , if mine was anything to go by, you may wonder what you have done as this wee thing charges around the house wearing you out!

Please, please also consider the health implications as it would seem the person you are buying it from is not a registered breeder so no health checks will have been carried out and it is not enough to just look at the parents and see that they 'look' healthy. Please read Munron's post. You could end up with hefty vets bills in later life!

Brandy I am not getting at you but too many people get puppies and then the novelty wears off or they are harder work than anticipated, and more expensive to keep and so these poor creatures end up in rescue centres.

Hopefully, you will have this dog for at least fifteen years so you really have to make sure that you will be happy with it and, even more importantly to me, it will be happy with you!

corgiman
29-May-07, 13:45
I hope you are just using the term I would rather pay a couple of hundred and not actually paying a couple of hundred as a labradoodle is actually a registered breed within it's own right that people have put a lot of work into perfecting (I think) and not just a first generation of lad poodle which is essentially a mongrel. Feel free to correct me as I know very little about the breed. ps this is not a dig I just find it amazing the prices being charged for crossbreed pups when I look in the press and journal.

dragonfly
29-May-07, 14:03
Hi Corgiman, they are not registered yet, though the Labradoodle Association are gathering a breeders register for when they do become recognised in the future, which I believe is on the cards. Those being hip-scored are done so under the labradoodle breed name again for when they do become a recognised breed.

I paid way more for mine, but that was a personal decision and I spent just less than the limit I set (which was about the same as you would pay for a purebred lab). agree that some breeders are charging extortionate prices for doodles with some going for as much as £1400 just because the likes of Graham Norton and the Top Gear dog were bought from this breeder

corgiman
29-May-07, 14:11
ahhhhhhhh thats always a problem when breeds become the IN thing thanks to celebrities :eek: cheers for the info dragonfly as I say I don't know much about them so every little helps :lol: so this means that a first generation at the moment can correctly actually be called a full bred labradoodle then?

dragonfly
29-May-07, 14:18
yes, technically a first breeding is an F1 Labradoodle a pup from 2 labradoodles takes the next number from the lowest numbered parent (eg, my doodles mum was F1 but his dad was an F3 so he is an F2 - if both parents were F2's then pups would be F3 and so on) sometimes breeders put them back to a poodle to try and improve the coats and these are known as F1B (B meaning crossed back)

corgiman
29-May-07, 14:29
Thanks for that so it's like the bengal cats with F1 etc

Liz
29-May-07, 14:57
Brandy I was thinking it would be a good idea for you to check with the Vets to see what they think of the 'breeder' you are getting your puppy from.

If this person is just breeding from her pet dogs to make a quick buck then it is totally wrong.

brandy
29-May-07, 14:58
my pup is a f1 or first generation.. meaning her mum is a full lab and dad is a standard poodle...
the average price right now for an f1 is about 600.. and an f2 and multigens are up to about 800
i have been on the UK labradoodle forums and have learnt a lot more about them.
they are very few in rescue and people are all over the few that do go into from what i have seen.
the more i read the more i cant wait to get my girl!

crustyroll
29-May-07, 15:44
the breed was orig. made by a man in aussie.. to help a sighted lady who need a guide dog, but her husband had severe alergies. he bred the standard poodle and lab for obvious reasons.. the poodle for its coat and high intelegence, and the lab for it temper and uses as guide dogs.
the crossing of these two "pure bred" which simply means that a type of dog breeds true, and is the same everytime.
these dogs even though they are not reconised by the kennel club, have had wonderful sucess as guide dogs, therapy dogs (exspecially for children) rescue dogs and many other very noble causes.
when we decided on a dog, the main thing we were concerned with was temperment and being able to fit into our family.
and im more than happy to pay a couple hundred pounds for a "mutt" any day, than to pay several hundred for a foul tempered purebred.. which a lot of them are if you are not careful.
as for health issues.. mixed breeds tend to be healthier than any other breed, as thier lines are not so close, and the chance of line breeding and inbreeding is a lot less.. *Grins*
as i said.. have been doing a LOT of reading!!

Brandy,

I don't want to come across as someone who doesn't like dogs or is trying to cause upset for what is usually such an exciting time to get a puppy but it really angers me when dogs are bred without any health tests being carried out.

Saying a dog is healthy isn't enough, there must be appropriate hip scoring and/or elbow scoring and annual eye testing carried out as basics. There are a few more in depth DNA tests that can be carried out on various breeds and its only the DNA tests can guarantee that a dog will not develop the disease or carry the gene for that disease. Hip Dysplacia is a big problem in Labs and Poodles so the issue has been doubled up on in two dogs that haven't apparently had any scoring done at all! I understand that these pups may appear healthy and be healthy but is that purely down to luck and not the breeder trying to minimise any health problems from the outset??

How can a dog be classed as "bred true" when it's not even the same breed?
A Standard Poodle can be bred true to type as it consistently produces its confromation, substance, coat, quality, temperment just like a Lab can, BUT only when it's bred with the SAME breed of dog.

I totally disagree with you regarding the statement that purebred dogs have bad temperments and ill health. It's generally only backyard breeders that tend to have problems with health through inbreeding. Line breeding and inbreeding are NOT the same thing.

I cannot understand the reasoning behind a Labradoodle - if anyone wants a dog that has no coat shedding, get a Standard Poodle, they aren't stupid dogs!

I shall come down off my soapbox now as I don't want to keep going on about it and I do hope that this puppy turns out what you want it to be.

brandy
29-May-07, 16:32
ok, before any one else tells me why i dhouldnt get a puppy,
im going to explain a few things here.. i do not need approval.. but i did want to share what i had hoped to be a happy time.
i know how much hard work a puppy is, i have had dogs before.. just not the best luck in the past several years.
the last was a lovley dog.. that we had went thru the whole house breaking chewing and destroying stage before we gave him up due to bens allergies.. which he has now outgrown.
the kids wanting a dog is only one reason we are getting one.
if you want the truth, i need something to love, that is totally dependant on me.. that will need me 24/7 for a while.
i have this great big huge aching hole inside of me.. i should be taking care of a baby right now.. and i need that.
lets see, during my horrible preg, i was able to take care of two high energy boys, a guinea pig, a hamster, 2 cats, a bird and a huge tank of fish, work 16 hours a week around hubbys schedule, have gall stones and pancreitis, surgery at 24 weeks, my little boy was extremeley huge.. was 10lbs 14 ozs at 35 weeks.. so imagine how big and uncomfy i was.. yet i still managed to do everything you do in a day..
yet, here i am planning a pup and being asked am i up for the responsibility?
do you know i have even had people tell me that it would be too much work.. that a puppy is a lot like having a baby, and would i be able to cope with one with two kids?
i think that is nasty to say something like that.
for anyone who wants to know, do i have the time?
yes i do
do i have the patience?
ive not killed my children yet *laughs* but seriously yes i do
i know this is a lifetime commitment.
im not stupid.
i know all about vet costs..
been there done that.
cant people just be happy that we are adding a member to our family?
we can afford to keep a dog, and give it the things it needs
we have lots of love to go around.
no the puppy will not be on a pedestool.. it will be a ragtag member of this family.. it will get into just as much muck and fuss as the rest of us..
when it pees poops and pukes everywhere i will do just what i always do... clean it up, give a cuddle and go on.. to the next spill...
in this house we dont care about spills and messes they happen.. we just either laugh about it or gurn and clean it up..
and finally at the end of the day.. if something does go wrong.. and the pup that we get.. were to god forbid have an illness we will deal with it..
i dont want any memeber of my family to be sick.. but if it were to happen then i would love them just the same.. if not more in spite of it.
im very happy with getting this puppy.. we are all very excited.. just share that with us please..

crustyroll
29-May-07, 17:01
Brandy

I hope you havent taken my comments meaning that you shouldnt have a dog or puppy. My comments are directed at the breed of puppy that you are planning. At the end of the day it is your choice, but I am only trying to advise you to look for the best puppy you can and I really dont believe that Labradoodles are all that they are 'cracked up' to be. If this was the case why havent the Kennel Club registered them yet as they like to make money too!

brandy
29-May-07, 17:11
no crusty its not you..
i do understand what you are saying, but at the end of the day this is my choice.
i just wonder if we had went to the pound and picked up a stray would we have gotten all the grief?
all i wanted when i started this thread was a .. congrats on your new addition.. nothing else..
but as usual no one can leave it at that.
sometimes i wonder how anyone can even buy a dog or get a rescue.. as it seems only people who have dogs should have one..
some dog owners are very condesending of people who want to get a puppy.
exspecially if you have young children.
im sorry but im getting fed up with it.
im tired of people putting their noses into my buisness.. and no its not just here but in general life.. and no its not just about a puppy but everything.
it seems that recently.. people think that i have lost the ability to function.
well i havent.
yes i am overly sensitive at the moment, but im tired of people telling what i should and should not be doing.
i am fit enough to take care of my family, to raise to small children, but im not fit to take care of a dog?
a bit backwards that..
anyway im going to close this thread as it is now serving no purpose.
we are getting our puppy, she will have a loving home,
and for those of you that are happy for us, thank you.. and ill see several of you on the doodle forum!
and hopefully at meets and get togethers!
lots of love brandy