PDA

View Full Version : Calling all PC experts

Lynz39
10-Jun-05, 11:00
HELP.
I recently got an iPod mini with the accompanying software iTunes. Problem is when I try to open iTunes it crashes. Sometimes it crashes my machine. It works intermittently then stops again. I have to keep reinstalling it. I have XP operating system and the iPod is connected through USB2. What is going wrong???
HELP PLEASE

Moonboots
10-Jun-05, 11:17
Hi,

Seems like a conflict with the drivers.
Try and get an update of the drivers from the web.
If that does not work then I would suggest taking any other usb connection out and see if it will work then. If it does then you know where the problem is lying.

Give that few suggestions a try and let us know.

Regards
Paul

birdie
10-Jun-05, 18:26
Moonboots she asked for a pc expert and your qualifications are???

Bobinovich
10-Jun-05, 23:13
Well out of order birdie!, Moonboots qualifications are not important, but his advice in this situation is sound. As someone in the IT business those are probably the first things I'd try myself.

PC's problems are rarely cut and dried and you have to start somewhere. At least he's offered something other than criticism.

Lynz39
12-Jun-05, 11:27
Regardless of whether Moonboots is an expert or not his advice has solved my problem. In future I wont ask for an expert but someone who knows what they are talking about.

Many thanks Moonboots the new drivers seem to be working!!
Cheers :lol:

Moonboots
14-Jun-05, 15:17
Some Mothers do have them!!!! eh birdie.

For a start yes I am not an expert but i have an HND in Electronic Engineering and have personally built pcs for others including myself.

I used to work for BT IDA department when it was BT Multimedia. Just incase you dont know what that is then there is no point in telling you.

I was also the BT Broadband Campaigner for the Highlands.

Are you still tring to say I havnt got a clue what I am talking about.

Sorry to keep on going on and on but I will try and be helpful and not like.

Thank you for your kind words Bobinovich regarding this situation.

rhaughey
14-Jun-05, 16:29
Ah good to see we have some people that know what they are talking about of course ignoring the rude one :confused
Heres another one for you :D
A transistor on my motherboard hs come loose, it looks like it needs soldered back on.
1) would that suffice and know anyone who can do it or would it be diff?
2) would it be more realistic to just buy a new motherboard?

TIA
Ray

Moonboots
14-Jun-05, 18:50
If its just a transistor then yes this can be resoldered as long as the transistor is not damaged.
If it is damaged then you can always just replace it with a new one.

Its not difficult to do but it also depends on where about the broken transistor is on the motherboard.

Not sure who you could get to do it without mentioning a few retail premises.

If your in Wick then there is a new shop open for pc repair and upgrades but I havnt been in it myself so I cant give an opinion.

If your in Thurso then there is Alacam and he is normally quite reasonable.

I do solder work myself but to tell you the truth I am usually busy the whole time. If your able to do it yourself then use a low wattage soldering iron as the hotter the iron the more likely you would damage another component on the motherboard.

In most cases the motherboard is repairable and if its only the transistor. If there is more work to it then I would say get a new motherboard as they are cheap to buy now anyway and the more work involved then the more money someone would ask for fixing it.

Hope this sheds a light on your questions.

Paul

rhaughey
14-Jun-05, 23:45
Cheers Paul thanks a lot for that reply

Ray

t
15-Jun-05, 12:35
Personaly I use Winamp for everrything, I found Itune far to heavy, you can get a plugin for winamp.

Also there are a lot of other progs out there ephpod is one i can think of but this may be linux buy without looking cannot say

Bobinovich
15-Jun-05, 18:59
Eh! t are you on the right forum? Your post is just a little off the track of this conversation... :D

t
15-Jun-05, 19:09
Eh! t are you on the right forum? Your post is just a little off the track of this conversation...

no i think you must be, the question was

HELP.
I recently got an iPod mini with the accompanying software iTunes. Problem is when I try to open iTunes it crashes. Sometimes it crashes my machine. It works intermittently then stops again. I have to keep reinstalling it. I have XP operating system and the iPod is connected through USB2. What is going wrong???
HELP PLEASE

My answer was

Personaly I use Winamp for everrything, I found Itune far to heavy, you can get a plugin for winamp.

Also there are a lot of other progs out there ephpod is one i can think of but this may be linux buy without looking cannot say

(For the non technical.)

You can use winamp in the same manner as Itunes load songs,tracks,playlists etc.

Itunes is a bit heavy as in resource hungry where winamp is not, I enqueue over 10,000 tracks in winamp it takes about 5 secons to do this try that in Itunes.

I used a program called Anapod Explorer , and Ephepod Ithink that was the name not sure if this is a windows app or Linux you will need to check