PDA

View Full Version : Boy Racers - The Old Breed

brokencross
25-May-07, 08:56
Having heard about this
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/6686703.stm
and witnessing other instances with these machines locally I was wondering what other Orgers think of this, and the apparent increase their use.

Yesterday in Aldi, an elderly lady was going through the checkout in her buggy and "reversed" at speed into another elderly person, nearly knocking them over, then in her panic, shot forward at speed, way past the tills.

At our local indoor shopping precinct people have been "run over" and hurt by speeding mobility buggies weaving in and out of the pedestrians, resulting in speed limit notices and announcements having to be made to warn the drivers to take more care.

One very elderly chap insists on using his buggy, at the height of the morning rush hour on a main road.
He hogs the centre of the carriageway, crawls along at a ridiculously slow speed and meanders all over the road making overtaking risky; the queue behind him gets pretty long and very frustrated. What really annoys me, is that when he encounters stopped, queuing traffic, he then gets on the pavement, drives on there until he gets to the front of the queue where he promptly gets back on the road and everyone is back to square one.
In wet weather, his whole buggy is covered in a frame covered in plastics (similar to those used on child buggies), how on earth he can see where he is going (or where he has been) beats me.

Does anyone else see such Boy Racers

buggyracer
25-May-07, 10:59
for me its the music these oldies blast out, i think old people should be banned :)

Solus
25-May-07, 12:05
These buggys are not, if i am informed correctly, allowed on the roads. Any vehicle that uses the road must have, MOT, road tax and valid insurance.

So slap a ASBO on the old codger !! :)

I got one lives near me that does the same thing, trundles along on his oap hooligan machine, hogging the road !! i usually blast past him on the bike, real close to his side ! he must like it , as i see him waving at me in my mirror :D

Geo
25-May-07, 12:39
I got one lives near me that does the same thing, trundles along on his oap hooligan machine, hogging the road !! i usually blast past him on the bike, real close to his side ! he must like it , as i see him waving at me in my mirror :D

I hope you're joking.

Solus
25-May-07, 13:43
Put it this way, if he is trundling along the road at 5 mph, i am entitled to overtake him , which i do, he is a grumpy sod and waves his fists at anyone who over takes him, bus, cars, motorbikes even cyclists ! what is unbelivable is to watch him trundle round the roundabout !

Geo
25-May-07, 13:58
"Blasting past him, real close to his side" is hardly the same as simply overtaking him and sounds more like reckless driving.

Maybe he's grumpy because he can't walk far, maybe he's grumpy because people cut him up on the road, maybe he's grumpy because he is alone in the world. Whatever his reasons it sounds more like he should be pitied than mocked.

Solus
25-May-07, 14:17
so thats a reason to take it out on everyone else ?

paths for him and his buggy, he has been warned before about it, rush hour traffic in aberdeen and he trundles along a main road at 5 mph, sorry no sympathy from me .

Geo
25-May-07, 14:41
Up to you of course but it doesn't hurt to give him room whether he waves his fist or not and it reflects better on you.

</end of rant> ;)

Billy Boy
25-May-07, 14:50
I got one lives near me that does the same thing, trundles along on his oap hooligan machine, hogging the road !! i usually blast past him on the bike, real close to his side ! he must like it , as i see him waving at me in my mirror

let's hope the next time you blast past someone to close they open their door and you one :D

Solus
25-May-07, 15:29
never seen a electric buggy with doors yet, but thanks for your concerns :)

buggyracer
25-May-07, 15:53

id imagine a walking stick in the spokes would have a smilar effect. :)

Billy Boy
25-May-07, 16:30

Dont you worry lol i'm not concerned about you in the least ,more that the old bloke might get hurt due to your arrogance, Would you still be so damn cocky if he fell off his buggy and got seriously hurt because of you[evil]
you should be charged with dangerous driving for not allowing enough room regardless of whether he should be on the road or not.

Solus
25-May-07, 17:33
Oh dont worry i leave plenty of room, you could be two feet or two metres from the guy and he still waves his fists and shouts, driving a buggy in a 30 zone at 5 mph during rush hour traffic is plain nuts, also please dont pass judgement on my riding skills,in all my time the two accidents i have had have been due to car drivers not looking, one drove into me whilst i was stopped at lights and another reversed over my bike ! nor do you know this guys past history regarding other road users. He has been cautioned about his use of the buggy on the roads, warned about his attitude to people and is a prime candidate for getting a ASBO, bad tempered, foul mouthed oap.

Billy Boy
25-May-07, 17:59
Oh dont worry i leave plenty of room, you could be two feet or two metres from the guy and he still waves his fists and shouts, driving a buggy in a 30 zone at 5 mph during rush hour traffic is plain nuts, also please dont pass judgement on my riding skills,in all my time the two accidents i have had have been due to car drivers not looking, one drove into me whilst i was stopped at lights and another reversed over my bike ! nor do you know this guys past history regarding other road users. He has been cautioned about his use of the buggy on the roads, warned about his attitude to people and is a prime candidate for getting a ASBO, bad tempered, foul mouthed oap.

but I will pass judgement on your so called skill's.
you admitted yourself that you blasted by him and said you go real close to his side, so in my eye's you just admited to speeding and not giveing other road user's enough room??
you go on about this man's history, being cautioned and his attitude, does this give you the right to drive like a idiot.

Boozeburglar
25-May-07, 19:59
There are plenty of road legal buggies out there. Any of them fitted with lights and indicators, and capable of 6-8mph I think.

;)

camor
25-May-07, 22:27
Solus, I'm with you on this. Ye should be givin him a clip round the ear on the way past:lol: . I'ts the slow movin road hogs that are clogging up our Highways, not those of us travelling fast enough so that we don't hold anyone up[evil]

North Rhins
25-May-07, 23:10
Tut tut Solus, how very anti social.
P.S. That fruity can, it’s not on the nearside by any chance is it? ;)

Solus
26-May-07, 00:45
Thankfully not ! :)

brokencross
25-Jul-07, 11:57
Go Grandad, Go !!
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/news/tm_headline=police-lose-scooter-oap-in-8mph-chase%26method=full%26objectid=19516683%26siteid=1 09975-name_page.html

Ricco
25-Jul-07, 12:21
I believe that all motorised vehicles must be taxed, insured and MOT'd before they are allowed on a public highway - it may be worth checking that this old boy is legal and, if not, photographing him and then passing this on to the law. This may be the local police or the DVLA - these days the responsibility is very grey.

Lolabelle
25-Jul-07, 12:34
Go Grandad, Go !!
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/news/tm_headline=police-lose-scooter-oap-in-8mph-chase%26method=full%26objectid=19516683%26siteid=1 09975-name_page.html

I love it, I can just imagine it. lol. [lol]

laguna2
25-Jul-07, 17:26
:lol: Police must have been really :o

johno
25-Jul-07, 18:22
Having heard about this
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/6686703.stm
and witnessing other instances with these machines locally I was wondering what other Orgers think of this, and the apparent increase their use.

Yesterday in Aldi, an elderly lady was going through the checkout in her buggy and "reversed" at speed into another elderly person, nearly knocking them over, then in her panic, shot forward at speed, way past the tills.

At our local indoor shopping precinct people have been "run over" and hurt by speeding mobility buggies weaving in and out of the pedestrians, resulting in speed limit notices and announcements having to be made to warn the drivers to take more care.

One very elderly chap insists on using his buggy, at the height of the morning rush hour on a main road.
He hogs the centre of the carriageway, crawls along at a ridiculously slow speed and meanders all over the road making overtaking risky; the queue behind him gets pretty long and very frustrated. What really annoys me, is that when he encounters stopped, queuing traffic, he then gets on the pavement, drives on there until he gets to the front of the queue where he promptly gets back on the road and everyone is back to square one.
In wet weather, his whole buggy is covered in a frame covered in plastics (similar to those used on child buggies), how on earth he can see where he is going (or where he has been) beats me.

Does anyone else see such Boy Racers
wonder if this is the same woman in the supermarket ad [lol]

saxovtr
25-Jul-07, 22:24

where is this guy i wana race lol