PDA

View Full Version : PARKOUR-free running-tracuer- jump london-jump britain

nutty da drummer
09-Jun-05, 00:44
I myself do parkour, its not dangerous, cant kill nebody else and doesnt damage anything. then can you oplease tell me why people are so against us doing it? we get kicked off by police and cant argue because we are underage. does anybody else do parkour and do they hav the same problem?

Bill Fernie
09-Jun-05, 01:00
Try this site for some info if you are not sure what this is about
http://www.parkour.org.uk/

nutty da drummer
15-Jun-05, 20:14
www.urbanfreeflow.co.uk
www.thurso-pk-just-jump.piczo.com

webmannie
15-Jun-05, 20:28
can't resist it, i had to, i know it's cheezy.

go take a running jump, he,he

Think ah seen ye guys last week scoutin oot wer local transformer compound. Ye surely werna gonna jump aroond 12,000 volts.

Drutt
15-Jun-05, 20:29
Oh yes, I've seen this. It typically involves a bunch of 13-year olds on their way home from school jumping up and hanging from my back fence. Said fence is rather flimsy and won't withstand 13-year old hanging boys, so such action is normally followed by me walking up to the window and glaring at them. Said 13-year old boys then tend to look sheepish, jump off and scuttle away.

Seriously though, when done well this can be impressive to see. However, I've never been terribly impressed by seeing teenagers hanging off my fence while they realise that they are a bit stuck and don't know what to do next. Even I'm embarrassed for them.

I don't see the harm in it as long as you're not damaging or risking damage to other people's property. If you are risking other people's property then you've no right to complain about being moved on. I don't see why I should repair/replace my fence just so a group of teenagers get their entertainment on their way home from school.

As for whether you're putting your own health and safety at risk, I don't really care.

katarina
15-Jun-05, 20:37

What exactly is this site suppose to tell me?

2little2late
15-Jun-05, 21:23

What exactly is this site suppose to tell me?

Try this link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour
I didn't have a clue either till I

nutty da drummer
17-Jun-05, 09:46
well, drutt, there are several of us that have reached a professional level. recently, we have learnt how to run up walls then pull off a backflip.and we are doing "3 footers" which is where you run up the wall three times then do backflips We arent 13 either, we are 16+. so do you think we should get kicked off of places when people walk on it, and run on it? how can shoes destroy concrete, and if the police are kicking us off of places for running around, why shudnt they kick other people off? and we arent damaging property, the worse we do is spill our on blood on the ground, which personally has never hapened but on some websites it does

Bill Fernie wrote:
i dont no what it is either, a better one is www.urbanfreeflow.com then go to media to see some

halkirk1
17-Jun-05, 09:50
This has got to be one of the daftest things I have ever seen.

Why would you want to jump over a handrail or do backflips off of a fence?

Is their a point to this activity?

Drutt
17-Jun-05, 10:57
well, drutt, there are several of us that have reached a professional level.
Oh? You get paid to do it, do you?

recently, we have learnt how to run up walls then pull off a backflip.and we are doing "3 footers" which is where you run up the wall three times then do backflips
That's nice for you. Whose wall?

We arent 13 either, we are 16+.
That's nice for you. Of what relevance is this? All I did was relate a story of the 13-year olds I've seen trying to do it.

so do you think we should get kicked off of places when people walk on it, and run on it? how can shoes destroy concrete, and if the police are kicking us off of places for running around, why shudnt they kick other people off?
If it's just pavements, I don't see the problem with it. If we're talking about other people's walls and fences, it's a different matter. It may have escaped your notice, but neither walls nor fences were designed for people to walk or run on. So yeah, if you're doing that, I'd fully support the police moving you on.

and we arent damaging property, the worse we do is spill our on blood on the ground, which personally has never hapened but on some websites it does
I have a funny feeling that your idea of criminal damage and my idea of criminal damage are somewhat different.

As for the blood... I'm glad you haven't had any mishaps but I wouldn't care too much about your welfare anyway; I'd be more concerned about the wilful draining of NHS resources.

Jeid
17-Jun-05, 19:56
drutt.... were you ever young once? lighten up.

and the bit about walls not being made to run or walk on is laughable. walls are pretty damn strong and i'm sure they will hold the weight of any of these boys.

i've seen these guys in action and they are pretty good at what they do. they ain't damaging property at all. the police pretty much have nothing better to do with their time so they just move them along. i've seen people do far worse and not get anything said to them. these guys are actually doing something creative and at the same time, their having fun. look at all the "neds" out there that are underage drinking and fighting on the street n that? think they should put more effort into tackling them, rather than moving on these guys?

its the same thing with people who skateboard and blade.... its not a crime! since when is it against the law to have fun?

pft, police need to sort their priorities out i think

Drutt
17-Jun-05, 20:09
Oh yes. Still am. :D

and the bit about walls not being made to run or walk on is laughable. walls are pretty damn strong and i'm sure they will hold the weight of any of these boys.
And you're most welcome to invite them to run up your walls and fences. If other people don't like their walls and fences being used, they've every right to ask the police to move them on.

i've seen these guys in action and they are pretty good at what they do. they ain't damaging property at all. the police pretty much have nothing better to do with their time so they just move them along. i've seen people do far worse and not get anything said to them. these guys are actually doing something creative and at the same time, their having fun. look at all the "neds" out there that are underage drinking and fighting on the street n that? think they should put more effort into tackling them, rather than moving on these guys?
Like I said, they're welcome to use your property. If others object, they've every right to.

its the same thing with people who skateboard and blade.... its not a crime! since when is it against the law to have fun?
It's not. :roll: It is against the law to cause criminal damage, which is why the skateboarders who like to use the steps around the Gallery of Modern Art in Glasgow also get moved on.

Jeid
17-Jun-05, 20:45
Oh yes. Still am. :D

And you're most welcome to invite them to run up your walls and fences. If other people don't like their walls and fences being used, they've every right to ask the police to move them on.

Like I said, they're welcome to use your property. If others object, they've every right to.

It's not. :roll: It is against the law to cause criminal damage, which is why the skateboarders who like to use the steps around the Gallery of Modern Art in Glasgow also get moved on.

i used to live in Aberdeen and i saw kids do exactly what these guys are doing, and in fact, right across from the police station, and never once were they moved along.

generally, if people want these guys moved on, they come out themselves, the police are hardly ever called, they just seem to turn up randomly and move them along.

i think your missing the point i'm trying to make in these guys defence.

daviddd
17-Jun-05, 21:02
sounds like a harmless occupation - they could be doing much worse as someone pointed out - and they're keeping fit. That might save the NHS a fair few grand when they don't have heart attacks later in life like many other folk that are training in earnest to be couch potatoes by sitting here typing away - oops - [lol]

Drutt
17-Jun-05, 21:07
i think your missing the point i'm trying to make in these guys defence.
I'm not but perhaps I'm just going to the other extreme of defending the motives of the people who complain. I suspect that the police don't move kids on for the sheer fun of it, but because a resident or two has complained and so the police keep an eye out.

The lads and lassies who do this are always going to be subject to the good will of people around. If you've got a strong wall, you may not bat an eyelid when they run up it. I've got a flimsy fence which won't last long if kids hang off it every day on their way home from school. I wouldn't call the police unless actual damage was caused (I just stare out the window at them until they go away) but others might - and they've every right to because it's their property.

It's no different to when I was kicking a football around on the street with friends and some neighbours would think it lovely to see kids playing while others would complain to my parents about the noise and the potential risks. We'd just play well away from the latter folk. I've delivered mail and had a few people tell me not to walk on their lawn - I may have rolled my eyes when they weren't looking but they had every right to complain if they so wished and I didn't walk on their lawns again. At the other extreme were the nice folk who'd put stepping stones across their lawns so I didn't have to get my Doc Martens muddy. :D

Lads and lassies who do this type of stuff (and skateboarding and blading) using other people's property depend on the goodwill of those people's and don't have a right to complain about being moved on. There's always somewhere else. Now, if there was talking about banning them from doing it at all, I'd have more to say in their defence.

daviddd
18-Jun-05, 19:35
Yowser :D - yo bro - :cool: yo could leap up at out wall anytime yo want man! :lol:

If I were xx years younger I'd be doing the same :p

:mad: good luck yoos! :evil

Jeid
19-Jun-05, 22:16
garden hopping?

not what these guys do at all

jay
20-Jun-05, 15:07
I've seen a bunch of guys doing this in Thurso on the wall at the back of Mackays shop as you go down to the co-op. Didn't realise there was a name for it - I just thought they were mad! saw one guy fall badly - he was lucky he didn't break his neck. These boys don't seem to be doing anyone anyharm and the shop keepers don't seem to be bothered about them being there - what I would say tho' is that, while these teenagers are doing absolutely nothing wrong ,it is fairly intimidating trying to walk through them when you're on your own. so perhaps they could make sure they leave a clear passageway for pedestrians - especially the elderly. It is quite entertaining to watch on the whole

nutty da drummer
21-Jun-05, 11:30
Yeh, you have seen us, that was us, running up the wall and doing back flips etc. im sorry if were intimidating, we dont want to be. we are trying to get it out in the open. we are planning a scotland tour so it should be great fun. ill tell everyone to do the space for pedestrions. thanks :D

nutty da drummer
21-Jun-05, 11:33
and what is garden hopping? is that like skippy or something? not what we do, we do parkour, its a proper registered sport.

DrSzin
21-Jun-05, 11:39
i used to live in Aberdeen and i saw kids do exactly what these guys are doing, and in fact, right across from the police station, and never once were they moved along.
Lol, my kids were doing that stuff there at the weekend! Are you talking about the side streets between King St & Queen St next to the Grampian Police HQ?

Jeid
21-Jun-05, 15:17
that exact street.... Gallowgate is it?

DrSzin
21-Jun-05, 17:22
It might have been Gallowgate, but I think it was just around the corner from there. Not 100% sure though.

I don't know where the kids picked up the moves from, but they were surprisingly good at them, at least to my untrained eyes.

There were a few cops around, but I don't recall any of them showing the slightest interest.

parkour
12-Jul-05, 12:34
Hello heres a short video of the people from thurso parkour, the video contains flips but they are not considerd as parkour by most of the parkour community but i find they are good for traning and enjoy practicing them, same goes for many other in the community.

link - http://s22.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2AFUNOYIXCY1N1EHQ5E9NE7GM2

Thanks

BazzaG
12-Jul-05, 15:38
I've watched the vid, Keep up the good work you may make it onto Extreme Sports channel. Lol

garycs
12-Jul-05, 16:23
Provided it isn't causing danger to others or damaging property I think anything that keeps young folk occupied and promotes fitness can only be good.

Some may feel it is pointless to run up walls to do back flips; equally those doing the back flips probably don't see the point of walking round a field hitting a small white ball with a stick. ;)

The sites relating to parkour seem to go to great lengths stressing the importance of training and preparation i.e. discipline, something often lacking other areas of young peoples lives at present, whch can only be of benefit in the long run.

parkour
12-Jul-05, 17:23
Theres also quite a lot more to parkour than the physical side, on http://www.foucan.com/ it explains the philosophy behind it. The site is made by one of the co creators of parkour sebastien foucan.

Margaret M.
12-Jul-05, 23:34
Provided it isn't causing danger to others or damaging property I think anything that keeps young folk occupied and promotes fitness can only be good.
I agree, it was fun to watch. We may see some of you in Cirque du Soleil one day.

MadPict
13-Jul-05, 15:06
Drutt - "Oi! Dont foucan do that on my fence! Foucan kids" [lol]

I saw the "Jump London" documentary and it looked very skillful when done by the creator and his colleagues.
Saw a film of some kids recently trying to copy the free running and quite honestly they looked ridiculous - all that was missing were the red noses.
If you're going to do something like this you need to find somewhere out of sight to practice otherwise folk will just laugh at you - then when you are up to scratch take it to the streets....

...but not before.

parkour
13-Jul-05, 16:23
MadPict are you talking about our video when you said:
"Saw a film of some kids recently trying to copy the free running and quite honestly they looked ridiculous - all that was missing were the red noses. "

MadPict
13-Jul-05, 17:04
I doubt it - not unless you are based in Northampton in Englandcestershire...
It was shown on a local 'affairs' programme.

parkour
13-Jul-05, 17:50
Ah right, no we are based in Thurso. Should take a look at the video the link is in a previous post of mine

nutty da drummer
29-Jul-05, 17:38
well we have made some of our own parkour videos, and although they are just starters, they are getting attention with people down in england. i have personally got emails about them , and we are getting noticed. but thanks for the support :confused

A_Usher
30-Jul-05, 09:03
well we have made some of our own parkour videos, and although they are just starters, they are getting attention with people down in england. i have personally got emails about them , and we are getting noticed. but thanks for the support :confused

Great news,
Well I for one think physical culture is to be encouraged. I train a little parkour, although not as much since training body flow, you parkour guys are more than welcome to come and have a look at body flow any time you want, or check out our website. I might be an ageing 32 year old, but biomechanics is an important training method in my personal fitness and martial arts training, as it enhances coordination, core strength and more importantly efficient movement.

Biomechanical movement and efficiency is something we all could do with for general health.

So, as long as the traceurs aren't bothering anyone, then I don't see the problem, its a serious skill, takes dedication and commitment, and when in flow is pretty awesome to watch, to see the components of physical strength, spatial awareness, dexterity etc all in unity.

Andrew Usher.

nutty da drummer
01-Aug-05, 17:27
thats it, we have never damaged anything, the wost we have done is put blood on that is hardly noticable, and has only happened 1 and that was out of us all, we also might have damaged some grass blades, but thats it.

nutty da drummer
03-Aug-05, 16:21
recently, i was walking with other free runners along the precint of thurso, and there were kids in front of us. the police were walking through as they sometimes do. the kids walked on the benches and the police did nothing, the just watched them. then, when we just walked on them we got told to get off them. now can someone tell me about that?please?