PDA

View Full Version : Niger Seed

Liz
23-May-07, 22:18
I have just put out a feeder with this in it as quite a lot of finches visit my garden and I hoped to attract some more.

However, so far ,not one bird has gone near it!!!!:(

Just wondered whether any of you have had success with feeding this?

Scunner
23-May-07, 22:55
the gold finches and the siskins love the stuff. Feeding from it today. Young siskins watching father feed.

Liz
23-May-07, 23:09
t
the gold finches and the siskins love the stuff. Feeding from it today. Young siskins watching father feed.

Did they take to it right away? I'm just hoping that they will be attracted to it in time!

If not, where do you live as I could give you some seed and a feeder if you want?!!!!:(

Scunner
23-May-07, 23:14
sometimes I think they are watching me fill it up. Not so many goldfinches around me just now. Be patient!!!!!!!!

Liz
23-May-07, 23:58
Thanks Scunner!

The last time we had Goldfinch in our garden was when we had lots of dandelion heads!
Maybe it will take them a wee while to come to the Niger Seed so, as you said, will be patient!

I take that, due to the oil content, the seed will be okay in the feeder for a while?

NickInTheNorth
24-May-07, 08:06
Liz is the feeder one that the birds are accustomed to, or a new one, in a new location?

I am assuming the latter, and if so then it may well take a day or two for the first brave explorer to risk it. Don't give up on it yet.

stratman
24-May-07, 08:20
It may be location. I have 5 feeders. They certainly favour one of them in particular. This is in the open hanging from an old washing line the others are hanging from tee branches. It can be emptied literally in minutes. The other four can be left all day despite being the same seed mix. If I don't fill the favourite one they will eat from the others but I get letters of complaint about the poor service.

Liz
24-May-07, 12:51
It is a new feeder and I should have thought of that as it has taken them a bit of time to get used to new feeders in the past!
It is in the same location so, hopefully, they will start using it soon.

Stratman you obviously have very demanding birdies in your garden!!!!:lol:

stratman
24-May-07, 14:16
Stratman you obviously have very demanding birdies in your garden!!!!:lol:

They are banging on the window knapkins round their knecks if I am late in the morning:lol:

WeeBurd
28-May-07, 13:06
They are banging on the window knapkins round their knecks if I am late in the morning:lol:

Mine too - my Blackbirds get fed before my girls, as they're at the window within moments of me going into the kitchen, demanding their grapes [lol] .

karia
28-May-07, 19:37
we used to go to the same holiday house every year, in may.
We befriended a lovely blackbird..he would pose quizically outside the patio doors after we'd got the morning rolls,looking wistful! (we fed him!)
in the early evening, the patio doors would be open as we got ready to go out
and he would wander in and have a look about..never made any mess,..fed quietly.

The hardest thing was leaving the place on the saturday..with his wee beak pressed against the glass

I can honestly say that we came to love that bird & he was a part of the holiday. Then the owners did the place up & took it off the rental market.

Might sound utterly daft but ..I still think about him!

Liz
29-May-07, 14:08
we used to go to the same holiday house every year, in may.
We befriended a lovely blackbird..he would pose quizically outside the patio doors after we'd got the morning rolls,looking wistful! (we fed him!)
in the early evening, the patio doors would be open as we got ready to go out
and he would wander in and have a look about..never made any mess,..fed quietly.

The hardest thing was leaving the place on the saturday..with his wee beak pressed against the glass

I can honestly say that we came to love that bird & he was a part of the holiday. Then the owners did the place up & took it off the rental market.

Might sound utterly daft but ..I still think about him!

Doesn't sound daft at all!

Blackbirds are lovely birds and I have heard of them being 'tamed'.
Hope the new owners love him as much as you did!

Liz
14-Jun-07, 18:12
Well almost a month since I put up a feeder with Niger Seed and still no takers!:(

Should I admit defeat? If so, is there anyone who would like the feeder and remainder of seed?

highlander
17-Jun-07, 23:35
Liz this pictures are for you, please dont give away your feeder, i had mine hung up for a year, and was giving up on them coming to my feeder, last week they showed up, NOW its FANTASTIC they are flocking to it, gawd i am now going to have to buy a HUGEEEEEEE bag

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f397/highlander1959/17hhjune2007119.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f397/highlander1959/17hhjune2007112.jpg

Ricco
18-Jun-07, 11:01
Highlander - those are cracking photos. I also get a lot of gold finches on mine but the green finches prefer the general seed mix.

WeeBurd
18-Jun-07, 12:10
Great picture, Highlander, I've never spotted a Gold Finch in my garden :(.