PDA

View Full Version : The Lord Lieutenant.

The Horseman
18-Jun-17, 01:40
Can anyone give me the History of the above position, and how Anne Dunnet was chosen to Act in this capacity? Ty

Partan
18-Jun-17, 10:24
Can anyone give me the History of the above position, and how Anne Dunnet was chosen to Act in this capacity? Ty

Wikipedia has a useful entry on this honorary position. Try it.

Anne Dunnett was a prominent local member of the legal fraternity in Wick and Caithness and, in my opinion, an eminently suitable person to be given this honour. There was a tendency in less recent times for the position to be given to minor aristocrats - not always a wise choice.

Partan

The Horseman
18-Jun-17, 12:02
Thank you.....yes I did a Wiki search, but wanted more depth, especially about the person.

bigmac
18-Jun-17, 21:05
give her a quick phone call and ask her

The Horseman
18-Jun-17, 21:14
give her a quick phone call and ask her

Thank you....great advice!

Scunner
18-Jun-17, 21:59
Go to the Courier/John o groat newspaper web site and you should find an article re Anne Dunnett.

The Horseman
19-Jun-17, 01:40
Thanks..will do.

linnie612
19-Jun-17, 17:07

Thank you.....yes I did a Wiki search, but wanted more depth, especially about the person.

Bit creepy .... Write or email her.

The Horseman
19-Jun-17, 20:25
Bit creepy .... Write or email her.

And who would you be to make these allegations....sad person!

I live 5227 km by plane from Wick....put that in your pipe and smoke it...maybe u have! Just too funny.

linnie612
20-Jun-17, 00:26
And who would you be to make these allegations....sad person!

I live 5227 km by plane from Wick....put that in your pipe and smoke it...maybe u have! Just too funny.

i stand by what I've said. We have both chosen (relative) anonymity.

You reside over 3000 miles from Wick, by air, according to yourself. Point being?

Drugs, not an issue for me, move on.

The Horseman
20-Jun-17, 01:08
A Bbeeg WOW for those comments!

linnie612
20-Jun-17, 01:36
Thank you, Horseman!

linnie612
20-Jun-17, 14:23
Really, Horseman (The)? Bad Rep points for 'False allegations'? It wasn't too long ago that you berated someone else for giving out neg rep.

Anyways, I made no allegations, false or otherwise. I said I found the post to be a bit creepy.

You, on the other hand, have accused me of partaking of the weeeeed! [lol]

The Horseman
20-Jun-17, 22:13
Looney,
You seem to thrive on the lower side of life.
First my post is creepy.
Second you mention 'weed'.... colloquially...... wheras not being too familiar with said product, I would call it Marihuana..
(Marijuana in the UK)...I never even thought of that. Put something in your pipe and smoke it. Look up the definition of the phrase...Used after stating something surprising or undesired..to emphasize the Truth. Also used after refuting an arguement, and the list goes on.

To be perfectly honest, I was enquiring about Anne Geddes/Dunnet as I knew an Anne Geddes and a Anne Dunnet from my 'sojourn' at Wick High, and my several years working there, around the same time as she would have been there, if she actually went. In fact I have 'pictures'. Work with that one!
Wiki and other articles I have read about her does not mention any personal 'facts'. e.g. Approx age and occupation!
Methinks the enquiry has been put to rest......sad that one cannot ask a Q without being creepy.

I will not bother her, but if she monitors these Boards perhaps she will contact me.......one never knows what will pop up, reaction wise, does one! Tut Tut. ( Expressing my disapproval, or annoyance'.). Wick High did me well!

I will give you back your points when they allow me.

linnie612
20-Jun-17, 22:37
Looney,
You seem to thrive on the lower side of life.
First my post is creepy.
Second you mention 'weed'.... colloquially...... wheras not beeing to familiar with said product, I would call it Marihuana..
(Marijuana in the UK)...I never even thought of that. Put something in your pipe and smoke it. Look up the definition of the phrase...Used after stating something surprising or undesired..to emphasize the Truth. Also used after refuting an arguement, and the list goes on.

To be perfectly honest, I was enquiring about Anne Geddes/Dunnet as I knew an Anne Geddes and a Anne Dunnet from my 'sojourn' at Wick High, and my several years working there, around the same time as she would have been there, if she actually went. In fact I have 'pictures'. Work with that one!
Wiki and other articles I have read about her does not mention any personal 'facts'. e.g. Approx age and occupation!
Methinks the enquiry has been put to rest......sad that one cannot ask a Q without being creepy.

I will not bother her, but if she monitors these Boards perhaps she will contact me.......one never knows what will pop up, reaction wise, does one! Tut Tut. ( Expressing my disapproval, or annoyance'.). Wick High did me well!

I will give you back your points when they allow me.

My dear 'Hoarseman' (intended), The,

I will endeavour to ignore your personal remarks, and the verbal diarrhoea that follows - was this really your FINAL edit?:roll:

You may keep your points, I have no need of them.;)

Kind regards

linnie. (Or Looney - whatever floats your boat).

The Horseman
21-Jun-17, 01:00
Finis..ty....H

linnie612
21-Jun-17, 18:00
No probs, H, (T) - I can be 'gracious in the face of adversity'. :cool:

The Horseman
21-Jun-17, 21:33
Nicely put...kinda good sport. :D

The Horseman
25-Jun-17, 20:03
No probs, H, (T) - I can be 'gracious in the face of adversity'. :cool:

Your box is full....

badger
26-Jun-17, 13:17
She has just retired and last week did not know who her successor will be. Maybe when that's announced you will get an answer.

The Horseman
26-Jun-17, 15:02
Thank you.....Just thinking of ma days in the High School, eating Houstons Food, and my days serving the Public on Francis St. And of course Nights at the Trinkie.....it's a wonder we are still here!

pat
03-Sep-17, 11:15
The new Lord Lieutenant of Caithness is John Thurso, a good ambassador for the Queen in Caithness and Caithness in general.
Best wishes to him

poppett
04-Sep-17, 16:31
Was delighted to hear this piece of news.

The Horseman
12-Sep-17, 14:26
Olde School connections.....

They are what they are, where they are!

sids
12-Sep-17, 20:42
Olde School connections.....

They are what they are, where they are!

Is that how his predecessor got the position?

gerry4
12-Sep-17, 21:25
Its how he got back into the House of Lords

The Horseman
13-Sep-17, 04:27
This is the guy who changed his name to Thurso....?
I thought this way of choosing people because of their connections, had changed somewhat in the U.K., but obviously I am wrong. I have nothing against him, but wouldn't it be nice to give someone else an opportunity to Officiate. He is another of a long line of what used to be called 'important' people to get that what they wish.
I feel there are many people in Caithness who deserve 'a shot' at something like this. There are many 'distinguished' people in the North who could honourably fill this person.
Just a thot!

it would be interesting to know what other people think.

The Horseman
13-Sep-17, 04:40
Is that how his predecessor got the position?

I don't think so, but I don't know the connections.

sids
13-Sep-17, 06:30
This is the guy who changed his name to Thurso....?
I thought this way of choosing people because of their connections, had changed somewhat in the U.K., but obviously I am wrong. I have nothing against him, but wouldn't it be nice to give someone else an opportunity to Officiate. He is another of a long line of what used to be called 'important' people to get that what they wish.
I feel there are many people in Caithness who deserve 'a shot' at something like this. There are many 'distinguished' people in the North who could honourable fill this person.
Just a thot!

it would be interesting to know what other people think.

I think the Lord Lieutenantship doesn't have to be advertised in situations vacant, or chosen by plebiscite. It's not a job, or a position of power.

The Horseman
13-Sep-17, 14:45
I realize that it is an Honorary position, to one whom is accomplished, with an impeccable background, but no one mentioned Pedigree!
This again is akin to the Caste system. The system seems not to have changed, in this case anyway!

The Horseman
14-Sep-17, 01:40
Poppet......are you truly happy that Lord Thurso was anointed to this position.....and everyone else in Caithness was incapable of such a task?
I want to find out what other peoples thots are..
Ty...

sids
14-Sep-17, 12:43
JT is the former MP, who has never disgraced himself too badly. I can see why they though he was suitable.

In an ideal World, everyone could be Lord Lieutenant for 15 minutes each.

Fulmar
14-Sep-17, 15:55
Lets all join the queue!

wavy davy
15-Sep-17, 00:04
Poppet......are you truly happy that Lord Thurso was anointed to this position.....and everyone else in Caithness was incapable of such a task?
I want to find out what other peoples thots are..
Ty...

Of course there are other people who could do it, but given the nature of the job you would struggle to find anyone better, or even willing. Have a look at what it the duties are, it's unpaid, carries no power, requires acceptance of the established order and presumably no criminal record. Look forward to hearing your suggestions for candidates.

The Horseman
15-Sep-17, 01:21
I have no one in mind......there are numerous 'volunteer' spots around....e.g. Special Constable. They are trained and are willing to give their time, and in the event of a Serious problem, willing to act alongside the regular Police.

I grew up in Caithness and remember the way some people were treated, if they didn't fit a pattern of courtsey and bowing to those who thought they were important, they were chastised.

It was refreshing to find in North America that these petty items were/are not recognised. A senior TV reporter became the Province of Ontario Governor General.......An author was also elevated to what in Caithness would need a Lord or a Lady...if you have never experienced the freedom of this way of life, then one is missing out.

I was simply asking a question, and you didn't answer!

sids
15-Sep-17, 12:17
I grew up in Caithness and remember the way some people were treated, if they didn't fit a pattern of courtsey and bowing to those who thought they were important, they were chastised.

I've never lived anywhere but Caithness and I don't know what you mean.

Scunner
15-Sep-17, 13:41
Horseman - I dont quite understand your posts re Lord Thurso, especially as you have stated that you are thousands of miles away. There are at least six depute's that have been covering for the previous Lieutenant. Do you have a desire to be among the people who make the decision.

The Horseman
15-Sep-17, 14:28
OK....the comments I rec'd smell of the Status Quo.........bye bye!

sids
16-Sep-17, 18:31

No big loss. You were getting a bit boring.

kinloch
16-Sep-17, 19:17
Knock knock

bigmac
16-Sep-17, 20:46
you may smell status quo. but i just smell some one trying to stir horse s**t

kinloch
16-Sep-17, 21:45
Yes on to the next look to trump tosh

The Horseman
17-Sep-17, 03:45
Knock, knock?

Trump tosh? Don't know the Code or Secret Key to decipher.

If you are content to 'worship' Lords and Ladies', So Be It!

Big Mac........I asked a simple Q? What does the Populace think of a Lord taking over a prestigious post in Caithness....obviously you are unable to answer said 'simple question'.

I truly think that there are other 'Caithnesians' whom would be suitable for such a task.....just my personal opinion. Why does one 'Family' have all the say/control?

But that is Caithness.....no one willing to 'stand up and be counted'! So to speak........

Bystander1
17-Sep-17, 06:49
you may smell status quo. but i just smell some one trying to stir horse s**t

Definitely the rear end of the horse in this case.And I thought bye bye meant "I have gone because someone disagreed with me".

Kevin Milkins
17-Sep-17, 08:53
A few years ago when John Thurso was our local MP I asked for his help to resolve an issue I had with a utility company and he got it sorted where all others failed. I have also heard him speak at many different occasions and I think he is most suited to his present post and will represent the people of Caithness well. That is just my opinion.

sids
17-Sep-17, 10:00
Knock, knock?

Trump tosh? Don't know the Code or Secret Key to decipher.

If you are content to 'worship' Lords and Ladies', So Be It!

Big Mac........I asked a simple Q? What does the Populace think of a Lord taking over a prestigious post in Caithness....obviously you are unable to answer said 'simple question'.

I truly think that there are other 'Caithnesians' whom would be suitable for such a task.....just my personal opinion. Why does one 'Family' have all the say/control?

But that is Caithness.....no one willing to 'stand up and be counted'! So to speak........

You didn't stay away long, with your "Bye bye."

If you are nursing some grudge against toffs, that's fine.

Hard luck to you for failing to find anyone else here who cares whether the Lord Lieutenant is posh or not.

Try Facebook, or Mumsnet.

golach
17-Sep-17, 10:54
I have no idea where "the Horseman" gets this bitterness against John Thurso, have met the man, and there are no airs and graces coming from him. John Thurso's record as the mp for Caithness was exemplary in my humble opinion.

The Horseman
17-Sep-17, 14:11
So 'SIDS", you admit they are 'toffs'.
If the People didn't care why would I be accused of Bitterness.....I will state I have Nothing against said Man. Am sure he is a proficient person...in all that he does.
I question why other people who have worked hard, fail to, as one mite say, 'get a shot'. I now live where there is a freedom to be able to do such things.....I do think some of the comments on here are less than stellar, and I was going to put my pen down, but decided to 'defend my honour', that is all. I have also rec'd several PM's to support him. If the populace is all for him, so be it! Thank you.

Bystander1
17-Sep-17, 14:27
So can we assume its bye bye for good this time ?

The Horseman
17-Sep-17, 14:38
You are all so kind....was reading how very few people come on here anymore, due to exactly these type of responses.
Perhaps it is true......Sma' minds, who like to be ruled by Those they perceive as above them.
Hey, whatever turns you crank!

The Horseman
17-Sep-17, 15:09
I have no idea where "the Horseman" gets this bitterness against John Thurso, have met the man, and there are no airs and graces coming from him. John Thurso's record as the mp for Caithness was exemplary in my humble opinion.

Golach/Grumpy... You just sent me a 'not very nice 'Private message' which automatically deleted when I read it, and you have Docked me little green things...Rep.
I have never said anything Negative about The Lord. I simply asked why some else would not have a chance. Perhaps you don't live in Caithness.......thus have not seen the ways of the World!
You may perceive 'bitterness', but it is not so. I find that This Site has deteriorated over the years with attacks on people for no reason, or perhaps people's 'cognitive' interpretation is somewhat askew......
Be your childish little self......take away my toys......green thingys. Really. Too funny!

golach
17-Sep-17, 15:17
Golach/Grumpy... You just sent me a 'not very nice 'Private message' which automatically deleted when I read it, and you have Docked me little green things...Rep.
I have never said anything Negative about The Lord. I simply asked why some else would not have a chance. Perhaps you don't live in Caithness.......thus have not seen the ways of the World!
You may perceive 'bitterness', but it is not so. I find that This Site has deteriorated over the years with attacks on people for no reason, or perhaps people's 'cognitive' interpretation is somewhat askew......
Be your childish little self......take away my toys......green thingys. Really. Too funny!
i was born and brought up in Caithness, I live in Edinburgh now, but have many contacts and relatives in the County, I still think John Thurso was the best man for the job.

sids
17-Sep-17, 15:39
So 'SIDS", you admit they are 'toffs'.

Who- the people you nurse a grudge against?

I question why other people who have worked hard, fail to, as one mite say, 'get a shot'.

What changes do you want made, apart from the obvious exclusion of the people who inspire your inferiority complex?

I now live where there is a freedom to be able to do such things.....I do think some of the comments on here are less than stellar, and I was going to put my pen down, but decided to 'defend my honour', that is all. I have also rec'd several PM's to support him. If the populace is all for him, so be it! Thank you.

Do you live in one of those lovely countries where the police have freedom to shoot people for being black?

The Horseman
18-Sep-17, 02:10
SIDS.....I have no grudge against anyone.
My complex?......you are a prime example of 'not a nice person'.
And your last comment should get you Banned.
Firstly the U.K. Media, profiles problems in other Countries to take the heat off themselves.
And I can attest to the fact that much of the hype about shooting black people has not been 'tested' in Court,
where it should be. I have dealt with Major Media for years and know how it works.
We Religiously abide by the Laws that govern us. We actually abide by the Marquess of Queensberry Rules circa.
1865 and those of Sir Roberts Peel, whose Rules Govern all Policing Agencies in the World!
I think you should update your 'news' on the worst Country in the World for discrimination....I am sure that if you
updated your knowledge base you would find the truth and shut your 'loose lips'.
I read how Petty you all are, but this is difficult to believe.

And Golach, I likely spend more time in the North of Scotland than you do, but all your attitudes show some
of you are quite delusional. Read my posts.....I have said nothing about Service to the King/Queen,
whom you served!

The Horseman
18-Sep-17, 02:16
I decided to copy this so that you cannot delete your false and egregious comments!

No wonder people don't come here anymore.....with people like you, there is a Hospital in Inverness that mite help you!

Who- the people you nurse a grudge against?

What changes do you want made, apart from the obvious exclusion of the people who inspire your inferiority complex?

Do you live in one of those lovely countries where the police have freedom to shoot people for being black?

sids
18-Sep-17, 12:25
I decided to copy this so that you cannot delete your false and egregious comments!

No wonder people don't come here anymore.....with people like you, there is a Hospital in Inverness that mite help you!

Two can play that game!

Fulmar
18-Sep-17, 13:34
Horseman, I am intrigued by your 'mites'!
as one mite say, 'get a shot'.
that mite help you!
A mite is either a very small parasite (albeit one that is a nuisance) or else a term used to describe something tiny and insignificant. Was this something subliminal?
Personally, I have never known a mite to say anything!

cptdodger
18-Sep-17, 13:34
I personally have no problem with John Thurso becoming The Lord Lieutenant. I have no idea what their duties consist of, however I met his predecessor when I worked at The Castle Of Mey, and she was there because of HRH's visit. She was lovely. When he was the MP here I wrote to him (as a last resort) to see if he could help me with the CSA (Child Support Agency) who I had been battling with for over 20 years. Although I knew before I wrote there was not a lot he could do to help me, he went out his way to find the people that could and actually did help, they ended a long, long nightmare. John Thurso has my utmost respect for that. Whatever A Lord Lieutenant does, I am sure he will do it very well.