PDA

View Full Version : Darwinian Types

scotsboy
22-May-07, 15:51
Do those who believe in survival of the fittest give money to relief charities?

scorrie
22-May-07, 16:52

"I'd like to help you out kidder but it's just tough luck that you live in an area where huge Tsunami's strike".

"Gee, I would give you a helping hand Ma'am but it was real dumb of you to live in a poor Country that is torn up by Civil War and Aids".

"Darn, I was justing writing you out a Cheque son but then you had to go and tell me that you belong to a Country without a Backbone, a Country who let Western Nations rip out all of its valuable resources."

"It's Survival of the Fittest and anyway Charity begins at Home, that's why I'm pledging my £50 to my Son Wayne for a Man Utd top so that he can fit in with his 16 year old mates down the Dog and Ferret. Thank God for Giros, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Crisis Loans and Working whilst Claiming Benefits. Triple Vodka and Red Bull all round and a toast to Mr Darwin".

fred
22-May-07, 17:43

Yes.

We have to keep the gene pool as broad as possible, the environment can change fast, evolution adapts slow.

http://www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/evolution.jpg

scotsboy
22-May-07, 18:04
"I'd like to help you out kidder but it's just tough luck that you live in an area where huge Tsunami's strike".

"Gee, I would give you a helping hand Ma'am but it was real dumb of you to live in a poor Country that is torn up by Civil War and Aids".

"Darn, I was justing writing you out a Cheque son but then you had to go and tell me that you belong to a Country without a Backbone, a Country who let Western Nations rip out all of its valuable resources."

"It's Survival of the Fittest and anyway Charity begins at Home, that's why I'm pledging my £50 to my Son Wayne for a Man Utd top so that he can fit in with his 16 year old mates down the Dog and Ferret. Thank God for Giros, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Crisis Loans and Working whilst Claiming Benefits. Triple Vodka and Red Bull all round and a toast to Mr Darwin".

Class that Scorrie! LOL

rich
22-May-07, 18:24
Of the many pathetic topics this org has come up with this must rank as the most feeble. Evolution is what happens with genes. Whoever the nitwit is that hallucinated this topic needs to realize that the Pacific Islander swept away by a Tsunami is a member of the same gene pool as the readers of the Org. So where does "survival of the fittest" come in?

rich
22-May-07, 18:32
Survival of the fittest is a phrase coined by Herbert Spencer. Darwin never used it. Darwin used the phrase "natural selection." And as I said before, that is a matter of genes. Take Darwin's theory of evolution and natural selection - add it to Mendel's work on genes - and you have today's scientific model for understanding evolution. Now can we just forget about the subject before someone starts up about the Muslim hordes and our sacred British way of life.
Thank you and goodnight.

gleeber
22-May-07, 18:55
One of these milleniums, Darwins theory will have evolved to the point where the fittest will be nothing but wind and the weak will have inherited the earth.
Mind you, it'll save a bob or two.

scotsboy
22-May-07, 19:03
Apologies Rich, it was only meant to stimulate some conversation. I assume from your response you think that I actually agree with the topic, which is certainly not the case.

I was hoping of a discussion along the lines of those who are aided by modern technology to live their lives due to impairment/disability today would not have survived in the past. I was hoping that maybe some discussion on the propagation of bad genes we are simply degrading the gene pool………but I am a nitwit, cheers Rich.

By the way my cat has gone missing, I dont know which supermarket to do my shopping in.................I'm outta here.......Arrividerci

scorrie
22-May-07, 19:53
I was hoping of a discussion along the lines of those who are aided by modern technology to live their lives due to impairment/disability today would not have survived in the past.

The wonders of Modern Technology and Medicine helped my Father overcome a Cancerous tumour in the bowel. Skilled surgery and powerful drugs allowed him to live long enough to develop Alzheimers disease. He now sits there, physically fit but mentally crippled, facing a constant decline until fate decides when he should be released from his living death.

"It's life Jim, but not as we know it"

golach
22-May-07, 19:54
I was hoping of a discussion along the lines of those who are aided by modern technology to live their lives due to impairment/disability today would not have survived in the past. I was hoping that maybe some discussion on the propagation of bad genes we are simply degrading the gene pool………but I am a nitwit, cheers Rich.

By the way my cat has gone missing, I dont know which supermarket to do my shopping in.................I'm outta here.......Arrividerci
I'm with Rich on this one, you forgot to mention nuclear power, windfarms, school fees, tearaway teenagers, and the final straw, Fred posting jokes on the general thread [lol]

fred
22-May-07, 20:11
I'm with Rich on this one, you forgot to mention nuclear power, windfarms, school fees, tearaway teenagers, and the final straw, Fred posting jokes on the general thread [lol]

I'm with Scotsboy, it's an interesting topic which could well lead to some interesting debate.

Anyone doesn't like it doesn't have to read it.

JAWS
22-May-07, 21:14
You can believe one and still do the other without there being any contradiction.
Contrary to what is implied by the thread the two things are obviously not mutually exclusive.

horseman
22-May-07, 22:07

Dunno about that one,me I give to all sorts of odd ball things,but I don't subscribe to your projection

rich
23-May-07, 15:38
Scotsboy, I apologize for being in a foul mood. It's due to my own lack of survival skills combined of course with my chronic lack of fitness. Far be it from me to criticise anyone trying to stir things up a bit....

George Brims
23-May-07, 18:30
I have observed here in the US of A that those who don't believe in evolution are the most likely to believe in Social Darwinism.

JAWS
23-May-07, 18:40
Oh dear, Rich, I can't believe anybody would start a thread just for the sake of stirring things up. That's a terrible suggestion. :eek: