PDA

View Full Version : things for kids to do

alistair harper
20-May-07, 10:52
i would like to know what people would think of someone opening a ice rink or kids soft play centre as i think there isnt much for kids to do during the holidays or at the weekend
please let me know either by poll or pm me with your thoughts
thanks

aly

NickInTheNorth
20-May-07, 11:03
without wishing to be awkward, what about an ice rink and soft play area, thereby providing activities for children right across the age range (and well on into adult life too).

Given that the major expense is likely to be land / building I would surmise that to combine both would cost a good deal less than to do each individually.

But anything would be good.

Ash
20-May-07, 11:21
i agree there isnt anything for kids til do...my wee girls 3 so a soft play area would be ace......the child in me also thinks an ice rink! lol:lol:

alistair harper
20-May-07, 11:26
thankyou so far for your comments to keep prices down it would be great if i could get this all under one roof if i get a good response i might lookinto it further i know i said for kids, but kids teenagers and adults will benifit from what i have got planed

thanks again

brandy
20-May-07, 11:50
we love soft play and its great for children up to about primary 3 i think..

NickInTheNorth
20-May-07, 11:57
I've got one heading to P6 who still loves a session in the soft play area whenever she get's chance. But not if her friends are around :D

young
20-May-07, 12:46
i think soft play would be great for younger kids and the ice-rink for older ones (and adults):D

Bobinovich
20-May-07, 12:49
As much as we'd love to see such a facility we to have looked into this before ourselves. We discussed it with CASE and looked at prospective premises and equipment costs but realised that there's just not enough population to make it feasible.

The wonderful "Tuns of Fun" in Inverness closed for the same reason, and it's got a much larger (and far more concentrated) population than the whole of Caithness.

Such a venture might work if you could get (initially anyway) volunteers to run it rather than paid workers, and if there was sufficient range of activities in order to capture the whole demographic - not just juniors. You'd need to offer food & drink (possibly even alcohol), parties, etc. for all ages, ensuring that adults and families are welcomed.

If you do decide to go ahead then best of luck.

DarkAngel
20-May-07, 13:19
I voted for a soft play! :)

rfr10
20-May-07, 17:02
Believe me, I've tried and tried and tried many times to get things for young people to do in Caithness. It isn't very easy at all. I have given questionnaires out to people asking what they would like to see. I didn't receive a huge amount of responses from the one posted on Caithness.org a couple of years ago but for the replies I did receive, they all seemed to have similar ideas. We can get temporary things for young people to do for holidays. There are holiday clubs as far as I know during the Summer and Easter holidays. This is only for a week which isn't good when you've got 6 weeks of summer holidays. I'd be glad to see some suggestions too. The main issue really, is always insurance.

lynne duncan
21-May-07, 10:17
alness have a soft play area in their averon centre it was converted from a squash court and all my 3 love it, age range 3 - 10 though they also have a ball pit so age from 6 mths upwards,
someone said that whatsits are converting part of their shop to provide a soft play area
indoor play centre/ gokart/ trampolines that we have found is Noah's Ark in perth something for all ages and their soft play area has been well tested by all my 3 and me!!!
www.noahs-ark.co.uk

dirdyweeker
21-May-07, 23:51
I would love to see a centre which offered anything for all ages in Wick and the surrounding area to enjoy. The temporary Ice Rink that came to Wick last year was a big hit. I t seemed to attract a large crowd.
I also agree that food and drink would need to be available. Good luck whatever you decide to open, there is certainly an opening in the market for some form of entertainment indoors in Wick.

alistair harper
22-May-07, 09:53
A big thanks to everyone who has posted their coments so far for this to work i need a lot more support to take this further if you spread the word maybe we could see this take off .Thankyou for all your comments i will be able to take all this support to the powers that be and see what happens next.i agree with everybody we need something like this and if i dont get it up and running maybe i have planted the seed of thought for someone else to go forward.

Thanks to All for your support

rfr10
22-May-07, 18:21
You could take it to us.. after all, being the Youth Parliament of the Highlands, it's the most hopeful way :D:confused

Smithy
24-May-07, 10:27
would love to see an ice rink suitable for all ages and loads of fun

sharon
24-May-07, 10:56
ice rink with a cafe and softpay area over looking the rink would be a good idea, as you could stick the younger ones in the play area and go for a skate or just sit and watch others skate.

a few years ago we went to a park the barn was converted into softplay area that was in a shape of a pirates boat, just outside the play area was seating area for indoor picnics and also had a cafe, so you could just it and relax whie the kids played! plus there was an animal farm attached to it they even did pony treks. They did kids partys and it was well out the way in the country side and was so busy! all our 4 kids loved it the oldest with us was 13 and the youngest 4

Max
25-May-07, 23:08
ice rink, ice rink, ice rink!

EDDIE
26-May-07, 09:22
[QUOTE=NickInTheNorth;225349]without wishing to be awkward, what about an ice rink and soft play area, thereby providing activities for children right across the age range (and well on into adult life too).

Given that the major expense is likely to be land / building I would surmise that to combine both would cost a good deal less than to do each individually.

But anything would be good.[/QUOTE

Well it is a huge cost to build these things but having said that i cant understand why the local council doesnt hire in portable ice rinks which can be set up at any park or spare spaces during local events through out the year to give the kids a new experience you often see ice rinks set up on squares and parks in aberdeen in special events its at actually quite nice to see an outdoor iceskating rink there always full especially at xmas time

sweetpea
26-May-07, 11:03
I was hooked on skating from the age of about 7-15. It was ice in the winter and rollers in the summer. Lucky enough to have a really good outdoor area for them too. I think there were points when people were really worried about me cause I would go everywhere on them, round to the shop, over to my mates houses, on swings, up and down the road, everywhere. Iv tried in line skates as an adult but not the same if you don't have somewhere to go and do it. So I guess it's not just kids that would benefit if there was a rink.;)

alistair harper
26-May-07, 15:09
once again thanks for all your mails on this if we want this to become real i need more support from the org the more mail and response i get the better it would be to take to case.

i have found building also equipment for rink and soft play centre all i need now is to convince case to help with funding the hardest part.if i can gather more support maybe they will consider it. i know caithness is small compared to inverness or aberdeen but i think there is a market out there. and all people would benifit from something like this.

please continue with your support and voteing.

Thanks

rfr10
26-May-07, 18:40
once again thanks for all your mails on this if we want this to become real i need more support from the org the more mail and response i get the better it would be to take to case.

i have found building also equipment for rink and soft play centre all i need now is to convince case to help with funding the hardest part.if i can gather more support maybe they will consider it. i know caithness is small compared to inverness or aberdeen but i think there is a market out there. and all people would benifit from something like this.

please continue with your support and voteing.

Thanks

Can I recommend that you maybe apply for funding from the Big Lottery Fund- Young People's Fund. Visit..www.biglotteryfund.org.uk or call 0870 2 40 23 91

alistair harper
30-May-07, 10:49
bump please

rfr10
30-May-07, 10:57
Helooo are you listening to me?? :Razz :D

rfr10
30-May-07, 11:17
If you are listening, check out http://www.youngscot.org/biglotteryfund/?a=d&id=&sr=1350

Or.. http://www.youngscot.org/biglotteryfund/?ss=1067&s=280&sr=1350 to see the Big Change Magazine and if you even feel like it, check out http://www.youngscot.org/biglotteryfund/?ss=1067&s=280&sr=1350&ID=19078 to see the bit i wrote! :Razz

M.Funkenstein
30-May-07, 11:31
Anything to do would be great down here in Sarclet. :lol:

rfr10
30-May-07, 11:34
Anything to do would be great down here in Sarclet. :lol:

It is impossible to get things to do in every rural place. That's why transport is a matter which we are discussing at the moment with Highland Youth Voice so that people who live outside/ away from towns and cities can have access to them and all the activities in them. Do you have a problem with transport at all or are you fine with it?

M.Funkenstein
30-May-07, 11:38
It is impossible to get things to do in every rural place. That's why transport is a matter which we are discussing at the moment with Highland Youth Voice so that people who live outside/ away from towns and cities can have access to them and all the activities in them. Do you have a problem with transport at all or are you fine with it?

Hello smiler, and nah, it's cool. The bus's are pretty good, only probelm is getting to Thrumster to catch one, especially on a horrible day. :(

rfr10
30-May-07, 11:39
Hello smiler, and nah, it's cool. The bus's are pretty good, only probelm is getting to Thrumster to catch one, especially on a horrible day. :(

Might have guessed it was you! lol And ahh right.. well I can sort a bus service out for you from Sarclet to Thrumster if you want :Razz

M.Funkenstein
30-May-07, 11:40
Woops, double post. But nah, don't worry, Really don't think it'd be worth the effort.

rfr10
30-May-07, 11:43
Somehow I think you've already said that.. Get used to the buttons on here and press the right ones! :D

And.. oh ok then :P

alistair harper
05-Jun-07, 21:07
i would like to know what people would think of someone opening a ice rink or kids soft play centre as i think there isnt much for kids to do during the holidays or at the weekend
thanks this post is slipping away now on pag 4

aly

itsteven
05-Jun-07, 22:29
soft play would be great i have three kids aged between 9 months and 5 and having more so it would be great for them to do somthing that they like and as i come from edinburgh they had sort play area it was busy but the kids love it good luck and i wish you luck :D

Wickerchick
06-Jun-07, 19:23
I think its a great idea having 4 kids of my own with nothing to do or no-where to go apart from swimming of course, Ice rink/soft play/cafe would be brilliant for everyone of all ages, any support you need just give me a shout.

cuddlepop
06-Jun-07, 19:27
Sorry to be boring but what ever you decide to do it has to be sustainable to attract any kind of funding.
what about contacting the sport coordinator in your area and see what they've got planned for the summer.there alwas keen on support and ideas for the kids.:D

rfr10
06-Jun-07, 22:40
Did you get my PM about the Big Lottery Fund. You don't need to be a certain age to apply, you just have to ensure that young people have been involved with the project idea and that many have been consulted. You can get a group of young people together and apply with them.

We're not too mean with the money in the Highlands. I can't get involved any further in your project incase you do decide to apply from the Big Lottery Fund.

If at any time you want a copy of the "Big Change" magazine, let me know.

Thanks!

alistair harper
07-Jun-07, 13:37
come on folks i need a lot more mails and votes lets see if we can get this started it would be a wast if it just sat there
a big thanks to all who have left messages

aly

katarina
07-Jun-07, 21:25
thanks this post is slipping away now on pag 4

aly

There are so many empty buildings in wick that would be suitable and also very welcome, but as someone else said the cost would way out do the possible income - not a good business venture, therefore not popular with case. But we NEED it, and with all these new houses being built and given our weather curtailing outside pursuits - I for one think it would be very popular. When Carters had the childrens room, they did a lot more business, and it would be a brilliant place for birthday partied etc. good luck we are all behind you.

edayhouse
08-Jun-07, 08:21
A soft play area would be great as Caithness is great when the weather is nice outside, plenty of beaches to visit but when it is cold and windy (90% of the time) then there is nothing at all to do for the children. I would want the Soft play area as my children are both of pre-school age however i would also like to see a Ice Skating Rink.

1st post today!
Thanks

Penelope Pitstop
08-Jun-07, 12:50
There are so many empty buildings in wick that would be suitable and also very welcome, but as someone else said the cost would way out do the possible income - not a good business venture, therefore not popular with case. But we NEED it, and with all these new houses being built and given our weather curtailing outside pursuits - I for one think it would be very popular. When Carters had the childrens room, they did a lot more business, and it would be a brilliant place for birthday partied etc. good luck we are all behind you.

I've noticed a couple of good units in Thurso that would suit your purpose as well. :Razz I expect parking facilities will be important to you. Good luck.

alistair harper
09-Jun-07, 00:39
hi folks i need you to show your support for this i have had 1,464 viewings but only 38 messages get your kids thoughts friends the more support the n
better even if i dont get this off the ground and someone else trys their hand i will point them in the right direction with where to purchess equipment and contacts with buildings for rent that would be big enough.

Thanks to everyone so far with your support and best wishes

Bradcon
10-Jun-07, 10:04
As my kids are getting older an Ice Rink would suit them, but for the smaller children, a soft play area would be more suitable. Maybe having both in the one building would be the best idea.

sharon
11-Jun-07, 16:03
people from sutherland may make use, by making a day of it, in wick for shops and things for the kids!
wishing you luck!

katarina
16-Jun-07, 09:58
hi folks i need you to show your support for this i have had 1,464 viewings but only 38 messages get your kids thoughts friends the more support the n
better even if i dont get this off the ground and someone else trys their hand i will point them in the right direction with where to purchess equipment and contacts with buildings for rent that would be big enough.

Thanks to everyone so far with your support and best wishes

How about the old pentland auto building in george street? It should be big enough, got plenty parking space and has been lying empty for years.

alistair harper
16-Jun-07, 16:27
ok folks here's the latest had a metting with case who had loads of great advice,they thought this would be a good idea but you will need a wad of chash first the building you find will need 2 toilets which must include 1 disabled loo
if your building is being used for lots of people you have to get a fire cert parking, heating, i know where to get a synthetic rink for around 28k soft play equipment 8k insurance 8k rates 8k, case will help towards cost of equipment up to 25% wont help with cost of building,case can help with wages 3k per person for staff. public insurance ? if i cant get funding and you have the funds speak to mr finly at case tell him i sent you.
this was my dream but i dont mind if someone else can make it work because at the end of the day i want something that will benifit young and old in caithness the county needs something like this or people will move to where this venture can be found in other places. caithness is a great place to live but we need more for the people to do rember when the mobile ice rink came to wick everybody said it was great, years ago the old cinama in wick was a roller rink and was packed. The feedback i have had from parents about softplay center was great also icerink hopefully i have planted a seed and this could grow i would hate to see it fall by the way side.

Thanks for all your best wishes i hav'nt stopped trying yet if one wall gets in your way get over it and try another path.

slp
04-Jul-09, 09:14
wick needs some fun stuff to do for yhe younger bairns and older ones i think something like this should have been done a long time ago and carnt understand why the council havent funded this project ! hopefully sometime soon this will uplift fingers crossed my two bairnes would love it i have a 4yrs old and a nearly 2 yrs old.... x:roll:

ShelleyCowie
04-Jul-09, 10:32
Just realised this was old. And the org keeps blanking out the name of a city for some reason!!!

Katy
04-Jul-09, 10:54
So it is old, I didn't notice either Shelly! oops! I private mailed Alistair with some bits and pieces he will think I am nuts ha ha!!

Would be good if someone could do something like this tho!!

Kxx

Bobinovich
04-Jul-09, 12:44
There are a number of problems associated with ventures such as this - the first of course being funding, the second being the lack of population in the area to sustain it. I have no doubt that such a place would pick away nicely but it's not going to be a big earner, so therefore not a big draw for any investor(s).

It's such a shame as the county needs good indoor entertainment facilities for all ages. The recent All Star Factory thread showed that there is such a place but as mentioned there it will require a lot of investment.

SKC01
12-Jul-09, 16:44
I think its a shame when excuses are made for not considering activities. I moved up here 3 years ago for work, and had my baby boy last year. I now look at whats available for children for future interest and can honestly say the thought has crossed mine and my partners mind to move south in the future, so we can be somewhere where there's more choice.

Bearing in mind that we are in the far north, its is dark almost all day 4 months of the year, the weather is not great the majority of time-we really need not just for kids but for for everyone more indoor activites. Having a large building with a number of activity zones for different ages, such as soft play, ice rink, prehaps a small climbing wall as well as a small cafe would help get kids of streets and potentially adults out of all day drinking sessions by giving them something to do.

As for inverness, it is a city and probably has a good choice for kids, such as inverness leisure, as well as other clubs for them to join (I know they run a range of activities at Eden theatre) I therefore don't think you can use it as a good comparison.

Vistravi
12-Jul-09, 17:08
I think its a shame when excuses are made for not considering activities. I moved up here 3 years ago for work, and had my baby boy last year. I now look at whats available for children for future interest and can honestly say the thought has crossed mine and my partners mind to move south in the future, so we can be somewhere where there's more choice.

Bearing in mind that we are in the far north, its is dark almost all day 4 months of the year, the weather is not great the majority of time-we really need not just for kids but for for everyone more indoor activites. Having a large building with a number of activity zones for different ages, such as soft play, ice rink, prehaps a small climbing wall as well as a small cafe would help get kids of streets and potentially adults out of all day drinking sessions by giving them something to do.

As for inverness, it is a city and probably has a good choice for kids, such as inverness leisure, as well as other clubs for them to join (I know they run a range of activities at Eden theatre) I therefore don't think you can use it as a good comparison.

Well said!

mrjolly
12-Jul-09, 17:17
Well said!if your not content in caithness just go back to where you came from

Vistravi
12-Jul-09, 17:27
if your not content in caithness just go back to where you came from

How extremely negative you are :roll:

I was born in caithness and lived there untill i moved away this year. I agree with SKCO1 that there is no or limited choice for kids and adults.

Keep your negative attidudes to yourself and get your facts right before saying the "go back to where you came from" line. That line is closed off and extremely negative.[disgust]

mrjolly
12-Jul-09, 17:29
How extremely negative you are :roll:

I was born in caithness and lived there untill i moved away this year. I agree with that there is no or limited choice for kids and adults.

Keep your negative attidudes to yourself and get your facts right before saying the "go back to where you came from" line. That line is closed off and extremely negative.im sorry o great one. judge of my posts.

Vistravi
12-Jul-09, 19:08
Not everyone on the org lives in caithness. Quite a few of us live elsewhere and only have connections to caithness.

some friendly advice mr jolly, take time to think before you take 2 and 2 and make 5 ;)

butterfly
12-Jul-09, 20:10
im sorry o great one. judge of my posts.

:eek:is there an echoe in here?.....:eek:;)

kc
12-Jul-09, 21:42
Just wandering how you got on with this venture?
I know a lot of people in the past have come across stumbling blocks but would love to see someone overcome these and open something in caithness.
There is a great place that will accomodate all ages in Portsouth, even has teen nights for teenagers in a soft play area they have great fun....adults can hire also!!

http://www.theplayzone.co.uk/

pink25
13-Jul-09, 17:08
Having an ice rink would be great - would also encourage kids (and adults) to be more active! And its great fun! :D

munchkin
13-Jul-09, 18:49
you could hire one of the units beside tescos moms,dads grannies ,grandads aunts uncles ( hope ive covered everyone haha) could drop kids of and do shopping collect kids after they have finished no more bored kids stressed parents ect and exhausted kids getting daily exercise .