PDA

View Full Version : Who are your heroes..and why?

karia
19-May-07, 20:19
Who invites your admiration,..who inspires you to be a better human being,.
...and what makes them worthy of such respect.

Karia.

NickInTheNorth
19-May-07, 20:29
Nelson Mandela!

To have lived through what he has lived through, and emerge at the other side with compassion and humility that would do credit to any man is incredible.

changilass
19-May-07, 20:42
My son.

After all he has gone through in his 3 years, to be able to so loving and be able to learn to trust again and still have a smile on his face from morning till night.

Wee man we love you to bits xxx

karia
19-May-07, 20:42
Hi NickInTheNorth,

you are certainly not alone there.

The ability to go through so much for your ideals, and then be so forgiving to
those who took so much from you, requires someone very special.

Karia

karia
19-May-07, 20:47
Changilass, do'nt know your story but can tell from your post that he's a star....and you too!

All the best. K.

emszxr
19-May-07, 20:58
my kids and hubby, they are my whole reason for living. they have made me settle down and be a better person, imho.

Ash
19-May-07, 22:10
my parents! they have been there for me and my wee girl through all the awful things!..they are the best ever!

love them to bits!

Fluff
19-May-07, 22:30
same as Ash. my mum and dad, but also my sister in law.

mum and dad, well as lot of you know my mum gets ill quite alot. but she copes very well. but my dad copes so well, looks after her. they still love each very much and it shows.

my sister in law (and brother) they have such a strong family unit and again love each other so much. she has been through alot, but is an amazing person.
love them all., i get very sad i dont get to see them all that often.

peter macdonald
19-May-07, 23:22
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Heritage/FSCNS/Scots_NS/Hty_Sct/High_Clr/Mem/Donald_Macleod.html

Donald MacLeod

http://www.gcal.ac.uk/radicalglasgow/chapters/johnmclean.html#Last

John MacLean

and my missus as she has the stubborness to put up with me
PM
(ps I forgot my Grannie Maggie Jean Ay me!!)

gleeber
19-May-07, 23:30
Winston Churchill. I discovered him about 20 years ago and felt some of the inspiration he gave to the British people during the war. A true giant of human endeavor.
More recently Carl Rogers who suggested a different way of communicating with each other.

North Rhins
19-May-07, 23:37
Damn it you just beat me.
It would have to be Winston Churchill. I believe it was through his own personality, fortitude and never say die attitude that saw this country and those already occupied, through the darkest period of the history of mankind.

karia
19-May-07, 23:42
Hello!, John maclean, now..youre talking . my dad did the oration for his daughter!

He was a hell of a person.

I'll pm you.

Karia

peter macdonald
19-May-07, 23:53
Please do Ill be delighted!!!!

Bloo
20-May-07, 00:21
Mine is a little milk carton picture i have that dances, its the best:lol:

karia
20-May-07, 00:25
I'm new to this , so if you don't get my pm, i'd be more than delighted to get one from you!

Karia x

Jeemag_USA
20-May-07, 01:37
Mahatma Gandhi, undoubtedly, has had more affect on me then any other person in history. It would take me a long time to explain why, but I guess the easy way to explain is that he proved to the world that there is an alternative to fighting conflict with conflict and he got the British out of India with nowt but a loin cloth and a stick and a very intellegent mind. he was also a great influence on Nelson Mandela and Martin Luter King. He was such a powerful figure and never once held any kind of title nor was he a politician. But when he was assasinated hundreds of the worlds leaders turned up for his funeral and marched in silence together along with hundreds of thousands of mourners. The man was incredible and his ideals will live for eternity. Coincidentally Winston Churchill hated the man and used to refer to him as a "Dirty Fakir", takes all sorts I guess ;)

My favorite quote from Gandhi

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind!"

Dusty
20-May-07, 17:48
All of my ancestors are my heroes/heronines and my inspiration.
The more I discover about them, the more I admire their fortitude in the face of hardship and sorrow. Along with their contemporaries, they achieved what they did through hard work and a seemingly unbreakable spirit and they allowed me to become who I am. I only hope that I can live up to any expectations they might have had for their descendants.

Dusty.

BINDI 42
20-May-07, 18:22
Has to be our darling son born with a severely rare condition ,underwent 26 operations and spent best part of his life in hospitals between here and edinburgh
What you cannot say in words darling you more than make up for in the love and smiles you have brought into our lives ,we love you son no matter what
mum and dad
xxxxxxxxxxxx

johno
20-May-07, 18:25
several, monty , churchill , shumacher , ayrton senna , mario andretti ,
juan fiangio ,barry sheen ,carl foggarty , steve macqeen , bob mitchum . & mohamed ali

stratman
21-May-07, 16:34
Lifeboat crew, fire firefighters etc. I couldn't do it.

johno
22-May-07, 22:42
yep real local hero,s

golach
22-May-07, 22:47
Got to agree with you, All the Emergency Service personnel I would expand it too also, they are my real hero's

stratman
22-May-07, 23:02
Got to agree with you, All the Emergency Service personnel I would expand it too also, they are my real hero's

Thats what I meant. My brain wasn't working well. The emergency services.

mccaugm
22-May-07, 23:42
My heroes are

My childminder because she is so brilliant with my youngest child
My mum and dad (& my husbands mum & dad) because they are always there for myself and my family
My sister just because of who she is
My college tutors (and classmates) because they have been brilliant throughout the past year
My husband and children
My community midwife - she was an absolute star when I became ill after having my last child
Freddie Mercury
George Michael
My friends
Gok Wan

Rheghead
23-May-07, 01:15
Martin Luther King
Tom Weir
Beatrix Potter
Dennis Skinner
Fred Dibnah
Fred? Wainwright
Richard Feynman
My Mum and father.

All because they knew the difference between the value and the price of an item.