PDA

View Full Version : GRIZZLY PARK

Whitewater
06-Jun-05, 17:10
This has been the 3rd or 4th time now that I have passed the Grizzly Park in Wellington Avenue and seen teenage boys on motorcycles and motorised scooters and not wearing crash helmets. There is a cycle track there, but it is for bycycles and trikes for young children learning to ride. Using this for motor bikes must be against the law, it is a puplic park, they are using motorised bikes/scooters in a public place unlicenced and uninsured as well as not using the proper safety equipment.

I will be talking to one of the residentes whom I know to see if it has been reported, if not I will do it myself.

I'm not being a spoilsport here but the youngsters all leave the park while this is going on as they can neither walk safely or ride their bikes/trikes.

There is a park between the Coast Guard houses and Battery Rd which is used by some lads on Quad bikes and is perfectly adequate, there has not been a problem there either.I don't see why they can't use that.

erli
06-Jun-05, 22:50
The kids are riding Mini Motos, not Motorcycles or Scooters, and they are riding them in there because someone complained about them riding on the ground behind the Coast Gaurds.
The kids don't all leave, as they enjoy watching the boys on their bikes. My kids and their friends happily play in there when the boys are on their bikes and actually go just for that reason.
I really don't understand why you have a problem. They are safer there than on the roads.

katarina
07-Jun-05, 11:01
The ground behind the coast guards is ideal for this sort of thing - dreadful that kids can't play without some one saying , fun? we'll soon put a stop to that!' Several years ago it and the steep slopes north of the grizzly was used for motor bike scrambling. It was very popular, until one resident complained of the noise and of course the council stopped it. In dunnet avenue where there is lots of paths in between the houses, and over the green, ideally safe for pre-school children to ride their bikes, a notice suddenly appearred from the council banning any such fun. the reason? One resident complained.
Why do they not investigate the feelings of the many rather than banning things because of one killjoy?

johndy
07-Jun-05, 11:12
The kids are riding Mini Motos, not Motorcycles or Scooters, and they are riding them in there because someone complained about them riding on the ground behind the Coast Gaurds.
The kids don't all leave, as they enjoy watching the boys on their bikes. My kids and their friends happily play in there when the boys are on their bikes and actually go just for that reason.
I really don't understand why you have a problem. They are safer there than on the roads.

This may be safer than being on the roads, are these not the bikes that are only suitable for use on a road if they have a valid MOT, but what happens when a child is playing at the park when a accident happens who is going to be at fault then! We are experiencing this problen at another park in the town and have been told that it is a matter for the police.

Naefearjustbeer
07-Jun-05, 11:19
Police in Aberdeen are confiscating mini motos and the like , Where people are using them in public places. :eek: :eek: To ride one of these motor driven vehicles you need lights mot insurance etc just like any car or motorbike. A few years back someone rode a go-ped home from the pub, they were stopped by the police and charged with drink driving and lost the licence for 12months.
Kids love these type of things and should be allowed to use an area set aside for such things.
When I was sitting at the traffic lights out side the seaforths club one night I saw a mini moto coming accross the road from meiklejohns cafe. It had jumped a red light and the bike and boy on it were all in black and not very easy to see as it continued to whizz up demster street. If they had an area to use this type of thing might not be happening can you imagine if a car going through the lights had hit him!

Whitewater
07-Jun-05, 16:11
erli wrote:

The problem is that it is a public park, the motor bikes have no MOT, licence or insurance as is required by law for riding a motorised vehicle of any type in a puplic place.

I wonder if you will tell us they are not a problem when some child gets run over. (hopefully this will never happen)

katarina
07-Jun-05, 17:32
I object to them being ridden along the beach as well when there are young children playing around. they get up to some speeds and it is highly dangerous.

erli
07-Jun-05, 19:55
The kids have been banned from the distillery ground, the land at the coast gaurds and soon they will be banned from the Grizzly.
Everytime they get permission to ride their bikes on a peice of land , they are removed by the police because someone complains.
Those of you who are unhappy, could maybe help think of a suitable place where they can ride without being a danger to anyone else.

katarina
07-Jun-05, 20:12
The land behind the coastguards is ideal. It is open ground and big enough for them to stay far enough away from houses so the noise doesn't bother anyone. Surely the council do something about declaring it a quad/mini-motorcycling park?

erli
07-Jun-05, 20:20
I totally agree with you Katarina, it is ideal, but the kids were told not to use it anymore because a resident complained. They just can't win.

Whitewater
07-Jun-05, 21:06
I am not against the kids using the motorised bikes/scooters in the proper place, I suggested when I began this thread that the land behind the coastguard houses was ideal. Maybe if enquiries were made through the correct channels and there was enough demand it could be put to use as a track for the small motorised bikes and scooters. It is perhaps something the Pulteneytown Project people may want to have a look at.

I have already stated my objection is to the use of the Grizzly Park for this. It was designed as a play park for small children and toddlers not for the use of the motorised bikes and scooters and as it is a public park it is against the law to use them there. I don't think the parents of the children on the bikes should be encouraging them to break the law by using this park. That to me is not good parenting.