PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Paganism?

crayola
19-May-07, 02:11
Last week's poll degenerated into a shameful experience; let's not repeat it this week. Please!

What do you think of Paganism (http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/paganism/)?

Your comments are welcome, but let's not argue and have the thread deleted.

cullbucket
19-May-07, 02:20
Light the touchpaper and sit back.....

JAWS
19-May-07, 03:01
What puzzles me is that, whilst we are implored to be tolerant of other belief forms, Pagan beliefs and the followers are still treated as being the personification of Evil and, as often as not, is only portrayed as Devil Worship and as a subject fit only for ridicule and abuse.

htwood
19-May-07, 04:57
A couple of my friends are probably the most honest and sensitive people I know. They abhor conflict of any kind and I've seen them negociate some pretty complex problems that left all parties involved feeling like everyone won.
They invited me to a Solstice party and that's how I found out they are Wiccans. Good Good people who worship nature. Nothing wrong with that.

Echidna
19-May-07, 07:04
prefer paganism to rampart mammonism anyday....

fred
19-May-07, 10:47
Last week's poll degenerated into a shameful experience; let's not repeat it this week. Please!

What do you think of Paganism (http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/paganism/)?

Your comments are welcome, but let's not argue and have the thread deleted.

Paganism is just the name for the religions people in Britain believed in before they were forcibly converted to a Middle Eastern religion adapted to their needs by the Romans. Instead of a separate deity they tended to believe everything in nature had not only a spirit of it's own but also a collective spirit. It's a bit like believing that everyone's computer is not only a machine for writing letters and playing Freecell but that they are also all connected together by radio waves and wires to form something else, something greater than the sum of it's parts the workings of which are hidden from the common people, getting more hidden all the time, known only to a few high priests.

It's up to everyone what they subscribe to, being a small part of an unimaginably huge living entity or subordinate to a great AOL in the sky, I don't see that it matters just so long as people always have the choice, so long as one doesn't forcibly suppress the other.

brandy
19-May-07, 11:13
i actually really like paganismn..its a very deep and meanigful faith, and causes no harm to anyone.. I like the idea of the Lord and Lady, in how everything is balanced. in my personal belief God is God, no matter what Gods name may be.
a faith that honors mother nature, and celebrates that which gives us life and is natural is ok in my book *Grins*

cuddlepop
19-May-07, 13:46
i actually really like paganismn..its a very deep and meanigful faith, and causes no harm to anyone.. I like the idea of the Lord and Lady, in how everything is balanced. in my personal belief God is God, no matter what Gods name may be.
a faith that honors mother nature, and celebrates that which gives us life and is natural is ok in my book *Grins*
Couldn't have put it better myself.:D

danc1ngwitch
19-May-07, 18:07
Dancingwitch
Twis on a night of a Red Moon,
Small Dwelling all covered in Rune.
Through the doors to the right,
It beckoned me, what a sight.

Up stone steps, circles of three,
Dancingwitch's singing with Glee.
I feel warm,colours of blue,
Come forward child we're part of you.
I circle round in the centre,
caught in this aray, I face my mentor.
We are one and one of a Kind,
You will look an Look an never find.
Dancingwitch's in cloaks of black an blue,
A nicer person, one who's true.
As she sleeps she does dream,
Of casting stones into a stream xxx
(poems rolled out in seconds flat )

Fluff
19-May-07, 22:45
lol, when i quickly looked at the title of this thread, i thought it said - what do you think of penguins!
lol

Scaraben1976
19-May-07, 23:13
What puzzles me is that, whilst we are implored to be tolerant of other belief forms, Pagan beliefs and the followers are still treated as being the personification of Evil and, as often as not, is only portrayed as Devil Worship and as a subject fit only for ridicule and abuse.

I totally agree. I'l be the first to admit that I was, for want of a better word, scared of Pagans, but on my travels I have met a few, and worked with a couple, and got to know more about wicca as a religion, and find it quite interesting.

It is the same as any other religion in that there are extremists in it, but everyone I met that I know of as a pagan/wiccan are nice and no different from any other human being.

Talking of wicca and paganism, just sitting here watching "THE WICKER MAN" on ITV4, and it ain't a film about a guy from the east of the county!

gleeber
19-May-07, 23:53
I suspect most religions that don't have the Judeo Christian God as it's focus will be classed as pagan. Hindu Buddhism etc.
I bought my daughter a book called everything you need to know about paganism for xmas. I tend to give all religion a wide berth.

Moira
20-May-07, 00:58
I voted "Don't know" for the simple reason that I've not studied the subject enough to be able to give any other response.

I don't follow Fred's thinking here - but I love Danc1ngwitch's post. Long live Danc1ngwitch.

Lolabelle
20-May-07, 06:11
I don't have an opinion on what others do, I have my faith and beliefs, but what yours are and how you behave is your business.
I believe that all religions are man made and so paganism is in the same box for me. I don't consider myself religious, but a daughter of the living God.
True christianity is liberating, it's only when we get hold of it and try to make it fit our own ideas that it ends up religion. Well that's what I reckon anyway.

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15 :)

Lolabelle
20-May-07, 06:15
Note to Dancing Witch.
I really liked the poem, did you write it, or is that where you found you name. Lovely anyway.
Even though I am a christian I have a real interest and facination with druids and that era, I have started a story along that line, and your poem brought this interest to mind. Thanks for that.

danc1ngwitch
20-May-07, 10:23
Note to Dancing Witch.
I really liked the poem, did you write it, or is that where you found you name. Lovely anyway.
Even though I am a christian I have a real interest and facination with druids and that era, I have started a story along that line, and your poem brought this interest to mind. Thanks for that.
i av many stored, i write all ma own crap, but i do not av da same time wea 6 kids an all. Thank you for ur words x

johno
20-May-07, 10:33
im not really bothered one way or the other about paganism. if the truth be known i ,ve never even given it a moments thought till now, perhaps i should look into it out of curiosity.

horseman
20-May-07, 11:02
im not really bothered one way or the other about paganism. if the truth be known i ,ve never even given it a moments thought till now, perhaps i should look into it out of curiosity.
johno not really interested.Most people believe in something, loved Fluff's input.

Brandy ! ISH

Crayola ,For me you are on stickey ground.

golach
20-May-07, 11:24
I am an agnostic anyway, but having read a little of crayola's link, this is not a belief I will be taking up.
And is it my imagination but from this thread it seems to be more females that endorse this belief than males.......hmm maybe all females are really witches [lol]

Yok Finney
20-May-07, 15:43
"Hi, Yokker, what'r you drinking?" made me a fully fledged pagan in the old Helmsdale Bar of all places.

Do we believe in Nature or God or is this the same concept of being?

Farmer Robert Burns celebrated this.

johno
20-May-07, 15:58
well i read up on it got fed up half way through, same old crap. still not interested. and your right horseman. every body believe,s in something
i believe in today. guess im happy being an atheist.
paganism [CRAP].

emb123
21-May-07, 14:37
Depends what you mean by paganism.

I was brought up as a devout churchgoing fellow and am still very religious although I don't hold very strongly to the established Christian Church's views. If by paganism you mean Wicca then it is a harmless way of worshiping despite what the established Christian church would have you believe. Formal Christianity has demonised anything that is not Judeo-Christian and doesn't think awfully highly of the Jews either. The bigotry or xenophobic attitude and arrogance of the Christian church is my bugbear with it.

Maybe this is lighting a bit of a touchpaper but my view is that Jesus as a teacher told us to 'love thy neighbour as thyself', not just just baptised and confirmed Christians, but also the Romans, the Samaritans and other Gentiles. He didn't say 'write a book about me get all the originals of it together in some building in Rome, hack it to pieces and add bits and take bits away, publish it as the New Testament and start a religion around it which persecutes those who don't agree with it'.

For the most part paganism is a rural and harmless way of saying thank you to God for the beauty around us and trying to do good. I've no problem with it although I am not a pagan.

Tubthumper
21-May-07, 16:29
I'm a staunch and always have been.

Jeemag_USA
22-May-07, 00:06
If I had to put all the worlds religions in order of merit according to my own opinions or beliefs, it would be somewhere near the top.

danc1ngwitch
23-May-07, 19:46
I am an agnostic anyway, but having read a little of crayola's link, this is not a belief I will be taking up.
And is it my imagination but from this thread it seems to be more females that endorse this belief than males.......hmm maybe all females are really witches [lol]
And so you know your Mr's, saves your ( cough, cough ).
You guys depend on the female.
Where would you all be wea out our magikal touch hu?
Point's at you, yep you, heeheehee ops ( cackle, cackle )
You need your witch;)

rich
23-May-07, 22:09
One suspects that Pagans are having a much better time than the poor repressed Christians. Lots of carousing and wine and coarse laughter. Whoops, my cloven hooves are showing...

Kenn
23-May-07, 22:58
I'm not sure if I am a pagan under the official definition.
Whilst not adhering to any of the major religions, I do believe that Christ,Allah etc did exist and came up with some very interesting ideas.

I am also very doubtful that my ancestors would have ever taken part in rituals that are ascribed to the pagans although they undoubtedly were very close to nature.

May be I should go consult the oracle!

golach
23-May-07, 22:58
And so you know your Mr's, saves your ( cough, cough ).
You guys depend on the female.
Where would you all be wea out our magikal touch hu?
Point's at you, yep you, heeheehee ops ( cackle, cackle )
You need your witch;)
You what? ...what would I want a witch for?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-May-07, 23:48
Everybody to their own.....its ma motto of life.If yer a wee bit more objective and do look into facts its a bit of an eye opener.Without information,ma eye see's paganism as naked folk dancin about singing"This is the age of Aquarius",but then once ye read into it,its much more.I was born a Christian,I was brought up as a Christian,I read the bible.Then I read books,watched films and watched documentaries of ma religion.Wisnae impressed.When ye find oot that the things ye spent the first 8 years of yer life believin in was actually edited by a publisher 130 years later,but in Rome.No wonder I enjoy reading Harry Potter,good read,less hassles.21st July 2007 by the way,the answers will be foretold.

Errogie
24-May-07, 18:43
Yes we probably could learn a lot from penguin society. They do a marvellous job of parenting and seem to be equally at home on land or water and of course their dietary and exercise regime are something we should alll aspire to in order to stay out of the clutches of the medics. Mind you their sanitary arrangements are not of the best but they are brilliant at the green cross code because I have seen them being taken for a walk on the pavement outside Edinburgh zoo.

But what I really meant to say and which of course is just as detached from the usual bout of dreary religious navel gazing which erupts at regular intervals on the org is that I once met a man who almost made the ultimate sacrifice in order to save the life of numerous penguins.

I met him around midsummer in the very north of Shetland and we had visited an uninhabited offshore island in his small boat to count nesting sea birds.
On the way back we were given handlines and told to catch as many cuddies as we could. Whenever they came into the boat he gutted them putting the livers in one pail and the rest of the fish into another.

Back at his house sometime after midnight but still perfectly clear in the sky we had tea, and drams and then he prepared the traditional Shetland dish of "Stap" which basically consisted of frying the fish livers separately from the fish before stuffing them back into their cooked bodies. Delicious!

Anyway while we were tucking into this excellent meal he carved off a few slices from a loaf with a most formidable bread knife. I made some remark about the weapon and he responded that we were very lucky to have its services because it nearly got left behind in South Georgia! Of course the story had to follow.

He had been away with the Salvesen Company at the Antarctic whaleing as indeed did many Shetlanders and was put ashore with a companion on an uninhabited island for several weeks to gather penguin eggs and to pack them in moss for when the boat returned. There were only penguins for company and men and birds co existed quite peaceably except that about 10.30 every morning a beast called a leapord seal (something like a white shark on steroids) used to chase a mass of penguins into a narrow geo and before they could get out of the water a bloody massacre would take place.

This so annoyed the castaways that they determined to try and save their penguin neighbours so they lashed their bread knife to a long bamboo pole tied it to a length of rope and the next day our host positioned himself on a rock high above the geo. The leopard seal charged in right on cue as usual behind a flock of terrified penguins and as it passed below him he drove the weapon down hard into it. There was a mighty eruption in the water and the brute tore back out to sea again, the rope burnt and ran through his hands and leapord seal and harpoon disapeared into the ocean.

"We thought that was the last we would see of our homemade weapon but then, two days later one dead leapord seal complete with bread knife was washed up on the beach and that's what we're cutting the loaf with tonight"

So, paganism, pengiuns, pantheism what's in a name for any belief system. Blessed is he who is easy to live with!

j4bberw0ck
25-May-07, 22:29

Crayola, I think paganism is probably very like homoeopathy.

The less of it, the better it is. Same with Catholicism, Protestantism, Islamism, Buddhism, Methodism, Shintoism and every other bogus -ism that the human race has persuaded itself to adopt as truth. It's all bollocks. All of it!

crayola
25-May-07, 23:32
But not nearly as bad as j4bberb0ll0cks. Bleurrrgh. [disgust]

j4bberw0ck
26-May-07, 08:33
:lol::lol: Now, now, just 'cos you're nowty at concerned residents who're worried about CASE......

canuck
26-May-07, 12:15
What a comfort of see that I have missed nothing in the 3 months I have been all but without contact with the org. As usual I am most closely aligned with Brandy's response. rich, the Christian party experience where you live will improve next week when I return home. Errogie I trust that you have composed a perfect answer, but I am being pressed to relinquish the computer to the next person in line so I haven't had a chance to read it.

percy toboggan
26-May-07, 17:06
Paganism? Seems they worshipped the few certainties in the world - many of it's followers anyway. Isn't 'paganism' rather a wide umbrella catch all term for many different strands?
I once 'had a look' at Druidism and it seemed to make sense - unlike so many other 'religions' I didn't take it up, partly because I'd look a berk dressed as a druid around Mancunia.
In summary:it's as valid a following as many other faiths, but I'm certain a few 'followers' just take it up to be different, or all alternative like.

I couldn't find a voting option for my tolerant - none dismissive stance.

bothyman
27-May-07, 08:51
Interesting (http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=823222007) article.

Why do People always have to wear badges ???

"I am Christian" . "I am Pagan".

I suppose some call People call me Pagan.

But if someone asks me the answer is "I am Me".

"If it hurts none, do what thou whilst"

crayola
02-Jun-07, 23:59
Interesting (http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=823222007) article.Will you be there?

Tubthumper
03-Jun-07, 00:59
Based on the photo for the article, I think I might go myself, purely for research purposes obviously.
If there's a smell of scorched hair, you'll know where I've been...

bothyman
03-Jun-07, 11:56
Will you be there?

No, I'm in bed for 9 o clock:roll:

crayola
08-Jun-07, 00:34
Based on the photo for the article, I think I might go myself, purely for research purposes obviously.
If there's a smell of scorched hair, you'll know where I've been...She looks a little like me.

See you there Tubs. ;)

Maegwynn
08-Jun-07, 10:15
I think the last place i expected to see a poll about paganism would be on here!:D Wow.
I would class myself as pagan, but it is an umbrella word that kind of covers a alot of people and beliefs. From the smelly 'hug a tree' types to the elitist wiccans who think they are 'considerably better that yow'.
I have a great interest in the dark ages era and i love to read and research stuff about the vikings and the anglo-saxons. My beliefs could also fall under the umbrella of heathen. Although if you look for heathen things on the internet you would eventually come across the right wing nazi types!-please do not lump me with those crazies!!
Its good to see alot of acceptance and people not fussed instead of the usual cries of 'burn the witch' and 'devil worshipper'!!
Maegwynn:D

Tubthumper
08-Jun-07, 13:55
She looks a little like me.

See you there Tubs. ;)

:eek: I'll bring my Ronson...we could get on like a house on fire.

Banshee
08-Jun-07, 13:59
I agree with Maegwynn (like the name btw!), definately nice to see open mindedness.

As for Paganism, I'm under the umbrella somewhere myself I'm not exactly sure where to place myself really. I have personally been so much happier since I found it, I used to be Christian and fell out with the Church, then wandered around for ages lost but still having faith in that elusive something then I found this. I love the freedom to be who I am without feeling guilty about it, I love the personal responsibility it teaches you.

I don't wear an "I am a Pagan" badge I'm afraid bothyman, but I do wear my pentacle. Just a personal thing I choose to wear.

Tubthumper
08-Jun-07, 14:11
Crayola, I am absolute-
Ly stunned at your suggestion
I think I must be resolute
At least that's my intention

I simply can't your plan reject
Clad in a cloth round loins
I used to dismiss pagan sect
Now it's the club I joins

I'll wear a flower in my hair
Some mistletoe would do 'id
No wait a minute, that's not fair
That'd mean I was a druid

I might have little problem there
In company so rich
Identifying where you were
And just which witch is which

But you could work out which is me
The best of Caithness warlocks
The tubby one without the hair
Who writes a load of borlocks

Banshee
08-Jun-07, 14:19
*mighty applause*

Beautifully written Tubthumper! Fantastic :D

Tho perhaps using the word "Warlock" to describe yourself is a bit harsh! I doubt you are an "oathbreaker" from what I have read.

That actually brings up a really good point, what do Male Witches call themselves? Witch has connotations of the female, Wizard of either Christmas songs or Harry Potter and Warlock really means one of the Craft who betrayed their own in the Burning Times - literally it means "oathbreaker". So what do you do?

Tubthumper
08-Jun-07, 14:37
The question is the man a Witch
Perhaps depends on When
And also in the context of
Just once, or now and then

Or maybe we should not think Which
But better think of Why
A man would want to be a Witch
On broomstick cross the sky

Perhaps it isn't even Why
On queries overdosing
Maybe just How a man is witch
Is question we'd be posing

Or probably Banshee's idea
Of When, Why, How a mannie
Becomes a witch with crooked nose
And grey hair like his granny

I think the question then is Who
(This sounds just like a joke)
Do Who Where Why How When give clue
Which witch should be called bloke?

Banshee
08-Jun-07, 14:52
:lol:

You are on a roll this afternoon!

veekay
08-Jun-07, 20:07
Am reading all this with interest and find it so refreshing to have such open mindedness about what some see as a taboo subject.
Don't know if I would be classed as pagan probably not just spiritual. As far as I am concerned the church and I use it as an umberella word here for all organised religion seems to have lost the plot. They still seem to think we are all uneducated and need their thoughts, that our own aren't up to it what ever it might be. I heard a classic on the radio a couple of days ago, some Reverend going on about hell and how it really exist and 95% of us are going there. He reckoned if you didn't know Jesus you wouldn't get in. Some how I can't beleive this. If God is so nice surely anyone who is a good person, know matter where they stand in the world of beleif, would get in. Wouldn't they?

veekay
08-Jun-07, 20:09
And anyway there are any number of people out there who reckon I am a bit of a witch![evil]

Lianachan
08-Jun-07, 22:12
People should be free to practise whatever religion they like.

What I don't like about paganism, though, is they way many people try to associate modern druidism with the ancient druids, despite the staggering differences and lack of continuity.

crayola
09-Jun-07, 00:04
I hope some of you will be there tomorrow. I shall endeavour to attend some of the public sessions but I fear I shall be enveloped in out of site meetings.

The programme of events can be found here (http://www.scottishpf.org/conf.html). Tickets are £10 at the door.

cullbucket
09-Jun-07, 04:36
I hate paganism - passing off someone else's work as your own.

danc1ngwitch
13-Jun-07, 18:51
At least you come out right and say it, but what are you saying?
Is it that you think how could a bit of wood build a house? ( wea out the slave) ops that is man?
Ok maybe you could explain better :roll:

Maegwynn
13-Jun-07, 20:46

Haha!:lol: I suppose alot of people may think plagairism is alot like paganism, i wont ask for comparisons...although i could see it as a funny song or maybe a Monty Python sketch!! As i said at least some people talk about this with a light heart!:D

xxx

crayola
16-Jun-07, 00:51
I hate paganism - passing off someone else's work as your own.Yes, but aren't all religions like that? The Plages of ancient Mesopotamia weren't pagans but they weren't very original either.

abalone
15-Jul-07, 23:32
The old religion is still alive and kicking today in the celebration of Christmas[yuletide]and Easter.The date of Easter is still set by the phases of the moon.

laguna2
16-Jul-07, 10:02

:lol: I misread the too - glad I am not the only one [lol]

Maegwynn
16-Jul-07, 20:38
As you say everyones entitled to their opinion, i just wondered what you had been told about paganism? There are wacky people out there that claim to be pagan but really should be locked up. I'm not saying some pagans are crazy or deluded but we're not all like that! Some of us have very strong beliefs and are fairly balanced people.
Saying you hate paganism is quite a strong belief, is it purely because you think its rubbish? Do you think that all religions are rubbish or just paganism?
Its just that the only time i heard someone tell me they hated paganism was when a crazy christian tryed to tell me i was in league with the devil and would burn for eternity!

Serenity
16-Jul-07, 22:16
Paganism is as valid a religion as any in my opinion. In fact I think it is better than most as it is about worshipping representations of the Earth, not a false fictional god like most other religions (again IMO). I have looked into it quite a lot and it seems to be mostly good energy, what you give is what you get etc. All good to me. Paganism and Buddhism are the only religions I really trust (thats not the correct word but I don't know what is).

karia
16-Jul-07, 23:39
At least you come out right and say it, but what are you saying?
Is it that you think how could a bit of wood build a house? ( wea out the slave) ops that is man?
Ok maybe you could explain better :roll:

Would love to hear your personal ethos, not being sarky at all, just interested in your explanation of above.

Karia

crayola
28-Jul-07, 00:34
Thank you all so much for responding. I have learned a lot and am pleased that paganism is viewed in such a positive light.

I'm not sure everyone understood cullbucket's wee contribution. Thanks cull for lightening the load.

I have spent the last month on a witch's tour of the world, studying practice in many countries. I was pleased to come home by airbus, even the fanciest broom can be a little uncomfortable after a thousand miles of hard riding. :lol:

golach
28-Jul-07, 09:54
Thank you all so much for responding. I have learned a lot and am pleased that paganism is viewed in such a positive light.

Sorry Crayola, I cannot see how you reach the figures that the posters viewed paganism as positive, as only 39.76 voted for, and 60.24 voted against, I would suggest that makes the poll to be against paganism

Tristan
28-Jul-07, 10:18
Sorry Crayola, I cannot see how you reach the figures that the posters viewed paganism as positive, as only 39.76 voted for, and 60.24 voted against, I would suggest that makes the poll to be against paganism

It may not be 60.24% against and she did get a lot of positive comments but that would be expected (those with a strong view will comment) but I would agree with you that the statistics do not paint the rosy picture that crayola said they did.
There are lies, another type of lies and statistics.

Angela
28-Jul-07, 10:28
Sorry, I can't agree, golach.

Only 8 voters (less than 10%) voted against, almost 40% were in favour and the rest were basically abstentions.

I think most politicians would be pretty pleased with that result! ;) [lol]

crayola
29-Jul-07, 01:53
Thank you Angela.

Golach's interpretation was plain wrong and the best thing to do with old adages is to ignore them.

golach
29-Jul-07, 10:36
Sorry, I can't agree, golach.

Only 8 voters (less than 10%) voted against, almost 40% were in favour and the rest were basically abstentions.

I think most politicians would be pretty pleased with that result! ;) [lol]
Sorry Angela I disagree with your figures, even taking out the Don't know and the Eh What figures out of the equation 18.07 % and you still have the Hate It and Don't care votes which add up to 42.27% by themselves, which still defeats the 39.76% that Crayola see's as a for vote

Angela
29-Jul-07, 11:01
We'll have to differ on this one, golach - I do take your point, but I was just looking at it in terms of an election.

So I see the "Don't Cares" as folk who wouldn't have bothered to vote .....i.e. it would have been a low turnout, and the Pagan candidate, not the anti-Pagan candidate, would have been returned. Given a first past the post system...

Just a bit of frivolity and I freely admit that I voted in favour! :D

Btw, why are you no longer the original GOM? :confused

Tristan
29-Jul-07, 15:06
the best thing to do with old adages is to ignore them.

Is that a typo or are you actually saying you don't take stock in pieces of wisdom and truth that have been passed down in the form of adages and proverbs over time?:confused

crayola
07-Aug-07, 23:29
We'll have to differ on this one, golach - I do take your point, but I was just looking at it in terms of an election.

So I see the "Don't Cares" as folk who wouldn't have bothered to vote .....i.e. it would have been a low turnout, and the Pagan candidate, not the anti-Pagan candidate, would have been returned. Given a first past the post system...Precisely. Thank goodness someone else knows how to read opinion poll data.

crayola
07-Aug-07, 23:50
Sorry Angela I disagree with your figures, even taking out the Don't know and the Eh What figures out of the equation 18.07 % and you still have the Hate It and Don't care votes which add up to 42.27% by themselves, which still defeats the 39.76% that Crayola see's as a for voteOk, great sage, take a look at this old poll (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=197150#post197150). Do you conclude that I am sane because the 51.25% of the voters that didn't say "You are insane crayola" is a larger group than the 48.75% who did?

Anyways, the love it votes beat the hate it ones by a factor of four to one. Can you wriggle out of that one?

trix
09-Aug-07, 23:43
i think paganism is beautiful. it works for me. i never really understood the whole christianity thing, i didna feel that it was something i could ever get excited aboot.
since following the wiccan path, alot o things clicked into place and now i feel comfortable wi ma beliefs and it is something that i do get excited aboot.
harm ye none - do as ye will

crayola
10-Aug-07, 01:27
Welcome trix. There are more of us about than most people would think. :)

trix
10-Aug-07, 19:21
hey fred, cheers for at. interesting...if ivrybody could just be happy wi their own beliefs, e world would be a better place.
in e 1600s it wis a capital offence til be a christian in japan, christians wis crucified. at e same time in britian, it wis a capital offence til use witchcraft.

in 1604, king james I, same guy whose name is on the english translations of the bible, passed his witchcraft act. e punishment for this act was hangin. previously, it had been a year in e nick. this act associated witches wi e devil and made any act of consortin wi e devil a crime punishable by death. he wis so terrified by witches that he actually is said to have changed th bible. where the text had previously said "thou shalt not suffer a poisoner to live," in his translation it says "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."

by e end o his reign, king james I had changed his mind aboot witches. he had spoken to a number of witnesses who admited they hed given false testimony an faked all e physical ailments they had allegedly been caused. james I decided then that witchcraft didna exist. despite his change in views, e law that he hed enacted remained in effect efter his death in 1625.
the england witch trials o 1612, 1616, 1633,1645 and 1649 were all prosecuted under this act, which wis finally repealed in 1736.

its madness, so much blood shed over different ways of livin. and its still goin on in the world aday :(
at e end o e day wur all gods children, we just all have different opinions of who or what god is.
peace man!!

crayola
11-Aug-07, 14:04
Trix, it's only 63 years since the last witch was jailed in Scotland (in Britain, actually.)

SHE was the last person in Britain to be tried as a witch - in a 1944 case Winston Churchill called "obsolete tomfoolery".

Her ability to inform relatives about loved ones who had died abroad during the Second World War led to her family being demonised. Even 54 years later, then-Home Secretary Jack Straw refused to grant her a posthumous pardon.

But now Helen Duncan is to receive a special mention in a ceremony to remember 81 people from Prestonpans who were killed during the witchcraft trials of the 16th and 17th century.

Ms Duncan, who lived in Niddrie at the time but travelled the country putting on seances for relatives, was convicted in 1944 under the 1735 Witchcraft Act for "pretending to raise the spirits of the dead". She was sentenced to nine months in Holloway prison.

The whole article is here (http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1597372006).

JAWS
11-Aug-07, 14:27
peace man!!Shalom, trix.

crayola
11-Aug-07, 14:55
שָׁלוֹם Jaws.

crayola
19-Aug-07, 03:19
Thank you everyone for responding. I am delighted with the result of this poll.

horseman
19-Aug-07, 15:04
Did not vote crayola- but as an aside any chance of forecasting the end result of manchester match I have going on over my shoulder? Or is that not within your remit? or even bog all to do with me as I did'na vote:)-Good long interesting post just the same:)

crayola
24-Aug-07, 01:15
1-0 for the blues. Sorry it's a bit late. ;)

JAWS
24-Aug-07, 04:11
שָׁלוֹם Jaws.Didn't spot this one earlier, I'm off to find a dictionary. :)

trix
24-Aug-07, 13:04
am no sure wot it means either jaws but i da think it is ment in a nice way :eek:

crayola
24-Aug-07, 23:09
Didn't spot this one earlier, I'm off to find a dictionary. :)It's no a dictionary yer needing Jaws, it's an audio mirror. ;)