PDA

View Full Version : Whit scene fae a film gets yer heart pumpin?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-May-07, 22:42
Have a few but ma all time favourite so far is fae Chariots of Fire.Eric Liddle(Ian Charleston)is at a Highland Games presentin the cups.He's asked to run the last race.

Off they go and Liddle is running wi the wind in his hair.He stumbles and falls to the ground.Suddenly Vangelis starts playing his synthesiser and a Scottish melody starts.The song is that Scottish that ye swear ye can smell the heather.Up Liddle gets and starts running and starts passin folk as though they're standing still,he wins!!!!!......ya beauty.Always wondered if this really happened in real life.Jenny,his sister was there and helped in the research of the film so I think it did.Although I doubt there was synthesiser music in the background:lol: Whit a scene though.Amazing.Got more fae this scene than Mad Max sayin"Ye can tak oor lives but ye'll never tak oor freedom":lol:

Solus
18-May-07, 23:04
Last of the mohicans is one, the end scene !!!

Worlds fastest Indian when he goes for the record on the salt flats gets me going.

Rheghead
18-May-07, 23:28
Any panorama scene from 'Miss Potter' it just makes me feel that I am the hills and the hills are me.:( Has anyone felt so connected to a land that it invokes such an emotional response???:confused

Victoria
19-May-07, 00:11
The "thou..shall...not...pass!" scene from LOTR 2....

or in fact ANY scene for ANY of the LOTR films!!!I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it!!!!!

(yes I know, I'm very sad!):eek:

Echidna
19-May-07, 07:07
The scene from Braveheart when Wallace and others sack the English fort and kill the Lord...in retribution for killing Wallace's wife.

cannot stand Mel Gibson's overacting throughout though!

~~Tides~~
19-May-07, 12:56
The first godfather, when the high up police man punches Micheal in the face, then two minutes later all the rest of the maffia guys arrive to his aid and start running about and they have more men than the police. Its cool...

brokencross
19-May-07, 13:08
I don't know about pumping, but my heart jumped when the face of the drowned man appeared in the underwater hole in the boat in Jaws.

candyfloss
19-May-07, 13:13
Mine is a right girly one, the final scene from Dirty Dancing :D

JAWS
19-May-07, 14:06
The final scene in Dr. Strangelove without a doubt.

Jeemag_USA
19-May-07, 14:30
I'll do a ditto on the Jaws on written above when the guys heid pops out the boat, but thats a scary pumpin one, still gets me every time though.

Probably also the final charge in the movie The Last Samurai, it was a very poignant moment, the whole man and sword against modern machine gun and getting cut to ribbons, the shaping of the future when old values will mean nothing in the face of a bloody great gun. There was a lot of great heart thumping parts in that movie. The whole scene in the misty woods where Billy Connolly gets killed too, never like seeing Billy getting killed.

Also many parts of the movie Gandhi make the heart pump and the tears well up, probably my most favorite film ever. Especially the part in South Africa where they are burning their permits that only Indians have to hold as a form of protest, and he keeps throwing them into the brazier depsite the british soldier beating the crap out of him. Also the part where he organises a protest where people keep marching into a wall of soldiers ad they keep beating them down but more people keep coming until the soldiers are tired and humiliated. Greatest film ever about one of the greatest men that ever lived.

justine
19-May-07, 14:43
i will have to go with The green Mile, when they execute John Cofee. The emotions that i felt with that scene was heart renching.....I never thought something would ever effect me like that from a film.....:(

nanoo
19-May-07, 18:04
I'm with you candyfloss, the final scene of 'Dirty Dancing' and running neck and neck with it was the final scene from 'Ghost' when Patrick Swaze walks into the white light, leaving his beloved wife (Demi Moore) behind. I can feel my heart welling up just typing this.

karia
19-May-07, 21:54
Showin' my age here, but that scene in 'Brief Encounter', where they are exchanging their last 'emotionally charged' goodbyes, and thon nattery wee body butts in and steals their perfect moment from them!:~(

Waah! K.

karia
19-May-07, 21:59
Oh!, and...The last scene from Gallipoli, with the fruitless running..and them all going over the top..bloody heartbreaking!

karia.

peter macdonald
19-May-07, 23:45
Coomie playing the pipes in "the silver darlings" ,,,,,,
or Max von Sydow playing Chess with death in The Seventh Seal [Det Sjunde inseglet] which is pretty neat
PM

Metalattakk
20-May-07, 00:59
12 Angry Men:

When Ed Begley's character's overtly racist protestations are shown up for what they are by the continued silence and repulsion from his fellow jurors, and he's eventually left as an outcast.

I inmagine at the time that this would have been a very powerful scene.

Jeemag_USA
20-May-07, 01:28
12 Angry Men:

When Ed Begley's character's overtly racist protestations are shown up for what they are by the continued silence and repulsion from his fellow jurors, and he's eventually left as an outcast.

I inmagine at the time that this would have been a very powerful scene.

Damn good film, one of my favorites. They actually use the movie in University's here for Law classes. Cracker!

Metalattakk
20-May-07, 02:33
Aye, it is that.

Of course, in those days a film actually had to have some sort of story/plot/dialogue rather than just endless special effects and explosions to grab the attention.

Having the whole film set in just the one room, with the interaction of the occupants (and their relative relationships as they developed) was just genius.

Of course though, Hitchcock beat them to it with The Rear Window. ;)

Lolabelle
20-May-07, 07:11
I am not much of a movie watcher, no enough time lately, but the first scene that sprung to mind was the one in a really oldie. Educating Rita. The scene was the one with Michael Caine drunk as a skunk screaming out in the middle of the university. It had us all roaring with laughter, but my dad in particular loved it and kept rewinding it, over and over, almost wetting himself laughing and tears pouring down his face. I am not sure if it the movie or the memory that invokes lots of feelings. Loved it anyway.

Sporran
20-May-07, 08:17
I'm with you candyfloss, the final scene of 'Dirty Dancing' and running neck and neck with it was the final scene from 'Ghost' when Patrick Swayze walks into the white light, leaving his beloved wife (Demi Moore) behind. I can feel my heart welling up just typing this.

Those scenes did it for me too, nanoo! And more recently, a few scenes (especially the last one) in this year's "Premonition", starring Sandra Bullock and Australian actor Julian McMahon.

Another movie that had my heart pounding through many of the scenes was "What Lies Beneath", starring Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfeiffer. That too was a brilliant supernatural thriller! :eek:

brokencross
20-May-07, 08:40
Not so much now, but when I was younger the hair used to stand up on the back of my neck when the soldiers started to sing, "Men of Harlech" in Zulu.

stratman
20-May-07, 09:26
Most scenes from Hitchcocks Night of the Hunter with Robert Mitchum and Shely Winters. I'd love to see that again must be 15 years It has really left an impression.

Whoops. It was of course Charles Laughton not Hitchcock. Doh

horseman
20-May-07, 10:32
Coomie playing the pipes in "the silver darlings" ,,,,,,
or Max von Sydow playing Chess with death in The Seventh Seal [Det Sjunde inseglet] which is pretty neat
PM

An I thought I was the only one that remembered coomie playing the pipes!!!Thank you very much!!!:D

peter macdonald
20-May-07, 12:52
no problem horseman ...I always reckon the should remake the film...the book is tremendous

brandy
20-May-07, 14:59
its a movie that i cant bring my self to watch again.. but is one of my brothers favorites.. its platoon.. the scene with the mother and her disabled son. it breaks my heart just thinking about it. really my chest is hurting typing this! and i havent seen that movie in 15 years!

sassylass
20-May-07, 17:37
snip Educating Rita. snip
Now that was a cracker of a film, one of my all time favourites.

Dusty
20-May-07, 17:57
My Daughter's Wedding Video.

Ahm jist a big softie.

Dusty.

the second coming
21-May-07, 19:21
all of it but especially the scene when they're caged under the hut wi the russian roulette going on above 'em.

The sequel was even better.

johno
21-May-07, 21:32
An I thought I was the only one that remembered coomie playing the pipes!!!Thank you very much!!!:D
aye it,s said that coomie slept between two churches and two wives,
someone whom i cant recall & who was a lot older than me told me that a long time ago. is it true??. kirk o bruin??

karia
21-May-07, 22:15
Dead Poet Society,..'captain, my captain..!'

(It's just ' I am spartacus,..no,..I am.'....in a modern format)

People standing by what they hold true...nothing better !

Karia x

dunderheed
22-May-07, 08:26
restless natives, when the wolfman and the clown are riding their bike through edinburgh throwing their ill gotten gaines to all and sundry.

or alternatively the scene in capefear when max scade is sitting on top of the wall when the fireworks are going off all around him.

Cattach
22-May-07, 15:28
It just has to be any film when Barbara Windsor walks into view!!!!

mccaugm
22-May-07, 16:19
Mine is a right girly one, the final scene from Dirty Dancing :D

Me too...girly moments - Daniel Craig as Bond coming out of the sea in those blue swim shorts.

Or the scene when the whole town lights candles to the boy in "Pay It Forward"...makes me greet like a bairn every time.

peedie
22-May-07, 17:52
seabiscuit... the big race against war admiral.... i always will him on even tho i know he wins......:D

catnip
22-May-07, 19:28
E.T.

When he is about to go on the spaceship back home and poor wee Eliot asks him to stay..... sniff.......sniff

Sporran
22-May-07, 19:32
Among others, the final scene in "An Officer and a Gentleman", starring Richard Gere and Debra Winger.

Numerous scenes in "Titanic", starring Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio. It's one of my favourite movies ever!

Errogie
24-May-07, 19:23
Can't abide getting anything in my eyes and when, in the Vikings Tony Curtis throws the falcon into Kirk Douglas's face and it fasten its talons into his eye, that is just unbearable to watch.

scorrie
24-May-07, 19:59
It just has to be any film when Barbara Windsor walks into view!!!!

Sadly, Barbie's puppies turned into geese and headed South for the Winter ;o)

Praetorian
24-May-07, 20:09
Last five minutes "Planes, Trains and Automobiles."

Sporran
28-May-07, 21:10
Have a few but ma all time favourite so far is fae Chariots of Fire.Eric Liddle(Ian Charleston)is at a Highland Games presentin the cups.He's asked to run the last race.

Off they go and Liddle is running wi the wind in his hair.He stumbles and falls to the ground.Suddenly Vangelis starts playing his synthesiser and a Scottish melody starts.The song is that Scottish that ye swear ye can smell the heather.Up Liddle gets and starts running and starts passin folk as though they're standing still,he wins!!!!!......ya beauty.Always wondered if this really happened in real life.Jenny,his sister was there and helped in the research of the film so I think it did.Although I doubt there was synthesiser music in the background:lol: Whit a scene though.Amazing.Got more fae this scene than Mad Max sayin"Ye can tak oor lives but ye'll never tak oor freedom":lol:

"Moulin Rouge" starring Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman did it for me the whole way through! I've had it on DVD for a few years, and watched it again last night. I love the story - the romance, humour, drama and sadness of it all! The music, dancing, and background were fantastic. Ewan and Nicole were brilliant in their roles, and I was amazed at how well they both sing. Not only that, they both looked absolutely gorgeous - a very beautiful couple indeed!!

percy toboggan
28-May-07, 22:45
Any panorama scene from 'Miss Potter' it just makes me feel that I am the hills and the hills are me.:( Has anyone felt so connected to a land that it invokes such an emotional response???:confused

Yes.
I also find those sweeping scenes of majesterial splendour rather moving. Not least because they are unexpected and expertly shot. Thanks for reminding me of the bonus within Potter Rheghead.

percy toboggan
28-May-07, 22:48
To answer the questioner:
The opening scenes of 'SAving Private RYan' in the war cemetery...the old man Ryan with his family. I can sometimes cry at the end of a film, but I have never cried at the beginning before.
Not sur eif this qualifies as 'heart pumping' but a more stirring answer could be the 'revenge' sequence in Braveheart. This first hour of that film is stirring stuff indeed. I love it...accurate or not, Hollywood or not....Gibson or not.

evelyn
29-May-07, 13:37
The scene in the "Elephant Man" where John Merrick receives a standing ovation at the theatre.

The last scene in Bram Stokers "Dracula" at the altar.

The little girl in the red coat in "Schindlers List".
Amon Goethe on the scaffold in the same film still believing in everything the nazis and their evil stood for even at the point of death.

The bit at the end of "Das Boot".

The bit in "The Battle of Britain" where the wee lad gives Edward Fox a cigarette after he has parachuted out of his shot down plane.

blondie50
30-May-07, 21:42
Patrick Swayze in GHOST, when he uses Whoopi Goldberg's body to touch Demi Moore..It just makes my weep buckets and gives me goosebumps. Mind you anything Patrick Swayze does, gives me goosebumps. Dirty Dancing final scene is a classic....

sassylass
31-May-07, 01:38
In the film Misery, when she is gone and he escapes from his room and is looking at her things, and he sees her coming home *gulp* and is hurrying to put things right and replaces the ornament backwards *gasp* He is in for such beeeg trouble it made me jump out of my chair and holler HURRY! :eek:

Blazing Sporrans
31-May-07, 10:27
A few gone before that I have to agree with...
The sheer physical and emotional exhaustion of the first twenty minutes of Saving Private Ryan. The poinancy of the wee girl in the red coat in Schindler's List. The sheer power of all the performances in Twelve Angry Men (I have it on DVD now). The rousing end of Dead Poet's Society where Ethan Hawke stands up on the desk. The end of Gallipoli when Mel Gibson doesn't make it back in time to prevent the charge over the top - and lastly Field of Dreams when Ray realises it was all about his father and not just baseball.....