PDA

View Full Version : Toboggan heads north....

percy toboggan
17-May-07, 22:36
Not quite as north as most of you but I, along with my better half will be renting a fine looking cottage just north of Ullapool next week, and I can hardly wait. Excursion to Callanish planned , the evening ferry out and returning next day. Also a look at Oldshoremoor is on the cards.

Beam me up Scotland ! The pull is irresistable !

Rheghead
17-May-07, 22:39
Enjoy your holiday Percy. Should you be passing, give me a pm.

North Rhins
18-May-07, 00:06
I hope you’ve packed for all eventualities. Fair Isle sweater, swimming trunks, thermals, Hawaiian shirt, waterproofs, sun block, Avon skin so soft?
I hope you have a great time Percy and fingers crossed for the weather. :D

Wish
18-May-07, 00:41
Have a great time, midgies are out on Skye, so Skin So Soft a must!

Jeemag_USA
18-May-07, 00:57
Hope you have a great time Percy, when you say Callanish are you planning a day trip to Lewis. I love Ullapool, had some great crack there, and in Stornoway too. Enjoy! ;)

Fran
18-May-07, 01:12
Have a good holiday Percy. Lets hope the weather is good........himself and me are off to Fraserburgh for a few days. Its a while since Ive driven there, but we will take a slow drive stopping off at macduff and Banff and other places on the way, he needs a wee break. He had a lovely few days in dublin a few weeks ago with his sisters and brother.

Valerie Campbell
18-May-07, 11:21
Oldshoremore is a bit of journey from Ullapool, but well worth it. Maybe you could have lunch at the Mission in KLB. Great food there, although fish not always available. Anyway, enjoy your trip and hope the weather's kind.

Angela
18-May-07, 11:36
Have a good holiday, percy, hope the weather is summery, but I'm sure you'll know by now to allow for all eventualities. :eek:
Hope you and Mrs Toboggan have a relaxing time....:)

cuddlepop
18-May-07, 11:58
Pack for a winter/spring mix for clothing.Its very April showers with the occasional hail thrown in for good measure.:eek: When the wind drops and the rain stops the sun is warm.
I guess you both dont care so long as your away on your hols.Good weather's the bonus ball.
Enjoy your break.:D

Rheghead
18-May-07, 12:27
go on percy, take the plunge (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=224763#post224763)...;)

squidge
18-May-07, 12:31
Enjoy yourself and wave as you pass thro Inverness

Elenna
18-May-07, 12:41
Have a wonderful holiday, Percy. And take a few pics to share with us when you get back! ;)

percy toboggan
18-May-07, 21:28
go on percy, take the plunge (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=224763#post224763)...;)

The Sutherland bros. ad. had me all a quiver Rheghed. Then I looked at the spec. Sounds likes lots of 'handball' and those days are long behind me. Great thought though and I appreciate it. A fab opportunity for some lucky lad/lass.
Deliveries 'throughout the Highlands' as near to bliss as you'll find whilst driving a wagon !

percy toboggan
18-May-07, 21:31
Enjoy yourself and wave as you pass thro Inverness

I think we might go the long way round.
I know it makes no sense but it's part of the holiday and it's only about nine hours drivin'.

Thanks to all for the good wishes.....and more!

highlander
18-May-07, 22:56
Had some lovely holidays in ullapool with my aunt and uncle, but used to love when we were taken to ach melvich beach, its outside Lochinver, well worth the run, beautiful white sands. Hope you enjoy your time up north.

Margaret M.
19-May-07, 02:42
Have a super time, Percy. A beautiful spot for sure, hope the weather cooperates.

percy toboggan
26-May-07, 17:02
Back haime. Seven hours down (ten hours up)

Visited:Stornoway/Callanish/Lurbost/Tolsta on Lewis
Revisited Lochinver and Achmelvich.

Ullapuddle is now affectionately etched into uz memories.Not overly wet last week, but cool and windy. We expected as much it has to be said. (shorthand for: I'm not moaning)

The house we rented was superb, and so close to the sea it appeared we were on the bridge of a ship from some angles.Ardmair Bay filled our living room window.

Tonight our outlook is very different. We're missing it already. I shall be checking my lottery numbers tonight with extra zeal.

Some more writing will follow should anyone be interested in an insomnia cure.

Alice in Blunderland
26-May-07, 17:39
So glad you had a nice time Percy Im heading down your way on Thursday...:eek: staying until Sunday. Its good for a few days but then I long to be back home.

percy toboggan
28-May-07, 20:40
it took me ages to upload all this guff. Much of which will interest nobody in particular. However, if you're of a mind to read about uz latest escapade north of the only border that counts.......

www.hometown.aol.co.uk/drifteral99/ullapool.html (http://www.hometown.aol.co.uk/drifteral99/ullapool.html)

If it duzzny work then shoot me.
Alice: I hope you had a good time in Mancunia.

Angela
28-May-07, 21:04
it took me ages to upload all this guff. Much of which will interest nobody in particular. However, if you're of a mind to read about uz latest escapade north of the only border that counts.......

www.hometown.aol.co.uk/drifteral99/ullapool.html (http://www.hometown.aol.co.uk/drifteral99/ullapool.html)

Really enjoyed reading that, percy! Made me smile, chuckle even.:lol:

Will there be another chapter? When will you be making your next trip north?

dunderheed
28-May-07, 21:33
percy , having travelled all over the uk , itoo find the black pudding in stornaway to be the best i've ever tasted.
infact i had a workmate who hailed from a wee village on the island who used to bring me back whole puddings when he went home for visits.

oh and i really enjoyed your travelouge well written

Alice in Blunderland
28-May-07, 21:42
Alice: I hope you had a good time in Mancunia.

Hi there Percy, thanks but its this Thursday night that Im flying down. I will be sure to have a nice time. We are going to Bradford on Friday for a curry which I am assured will be worth the journey. :D

Alice in Blunderland
04-Jun-07, 19:49
Percy I am just back from your end of the country and I had to let you know I had a great time. Manchester was great, Trafford Centre was something else and I found myself in Curry Mile I believe its called.
Went a trip to Bradford and Chester which were both good fun and the weather was brilliant.

I had a very pleasant trip .

On a more serious note I had great difficulty using Clydesadale bank £ 20 notes , at every shop they were checked and counter checked fortunately ( as I found it quite amusing ) I had a few of them. :lol: This is the first time I have ever had this happen to me , I was aware that they can sometimes cause bother but had never experienced it until now. ;)

Ricco
04-Jun-07, 19:53
Percy I am just back from your end of the country and I had to let you know I had a great time. Manchester was great, Trafford Centre was something else and I found myself in Curry Mile I believe its called.
Went a trip to Bradford and Chester which were both good fun and the weather was brilliant.

I had a very pleasant trip .

On a more serious note I had great difficulty using Clydesadale bank £ 20 notes , at every shop they were checked and counter checked fortunately ( as I found it quite amusing ) I had a few of them. This is the first time I have ever had this happen to me , I was aware that they can sometimes cause bother but had never experienced it until now. ;)

You saying that, Alice. The other day I got a Bank of Scotland fiver in my change. My comment: "Hey, a Scottish fiver - wow!" Their comment: "Don't worry we'll change it for you." My answer: "No thanks, its great!" What is wrong with the English? :eek:

percy toboggan
05-Jun-07, 16:59
"Hey, a Scottish fiver - wow!" Their comment: "Don't worry we'll change it for you." My answer: "No thanks, its great!" What is wrong with the English? :eek:

From a purely personal viewpoint, they don't live in Scotland !
At least this one doesn't. And thanks to all who read and (enjoyed) mi little holiday essay.

The ramblings will help me remember in my dotage and I thank all thee who came with us.