PDA

View Full Version : Wonder if the Pentland Firth qualifies?

Tugmistress
17-May-07, 12:45
Copied and pasted from here. (http://business.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=748292007)
not the full article.

Scottish Power is buying into a Norwegian tidal energy company to develop the renewable energy source and install an "underwater windmill" offshore Britain in 2009.
Scottish Power said it formed a company with Hammerfest Strom, 47-percent-owned by Norwegian oil firm Statoil , to test its tidal power technology with a full-scale turbine in Scottish waters before rolling the technology out elsewhere.
"Collaboration... will help us to deploy our massive tidal power resources and reduce our emissions of carbon dioxide," the managing director of Scottish Power's renewables business, Keith Anderson, said in a statement.
Scottish Power's exact stake in Hammerfest Stroem or its investment have not been disclosed.
Statoil said the project was an important step towards mass production of still untested tidal power generation technology, a source of energy that if harnessed can cut dependence on fossil fuel-based plants that emit greenhouse gasses responsible for global warming.
Hammerfest Stroem in 2003 built the first tidal turbine in the world to supply power to a commercial grid in the Kval Sound near Hammerfest, on Norway's northern tip.
The prototype, which provides up to 300 kilowatts of power, is fixed to the seabed, allowing ships to pass overhead, and has turbines 20 metres (22 yards) in diameter.
It looks and acts similar to a conventional modern windmill, but its blades are shorter and reinforced to take on much stronger tidal forces. The current drives the turbines, which automatically adjust their orientation to maximise output.
Manufacture of the prototype turbine for Scotland will begin in 2008, with installation during 2009, said Scottish Power, which was recently bought by Spain's Iberdrola.
Designed to work on Norway's inlet-ridden coastline, the technology works best where tidal ranges are greatest. Britain has some of the strongest tidal areas in the world.

j4bberw0ck
17-May-07, 13:26
Oh no..... now some idiot politician will grab a few headlines calling for Swona and Stroma to be drilled out for aggregate and the seabed covered with turbines :lol::lol:

scotsboy
17-May-07, 13:32
That is exactly what is in the SNP energy paper.

Rheghead
17-May-07, 13:50
That is just what we need, a load of whale-choppers.

j4bberw0ck
17-May-07, 16:21
That is exactly what is in the SNP energy paper.

I know....... :lol::lol: ....hence "idiot politician"

j4bberw0ck
17-May-07, 16:29
That is just what we need, a load of whale-choppers.

Come off it, Rheggers....... people go wild about hen harriers being banged on the head by windturbine blades but I confess I always assumed that something with eyesight about 100 times better than mine wouldn't have too much trouble spotting a large moving object, and then dodging it.

Water transmits sound wonderfully well and one might expect whales to have more sense than to just swim into underwater generators.

You know I'm sceptical about turbines and CO2 from human activity being responsible for climate change anyway, for a variety of reasons - but even I wouldn't have the brass neck to try to plead whale-chopping.

Mind you, I can see sales of large barbecues going ballistic in Norway and the Faroes, and mega-parties on the beach. Whale steak, anyone?

<puts on old Vera Lynn record>.... whale meat again, don't know where, don't know when.....

Rheghead
17-May-07, 16:55
Water transmits sound wonderfully well and one might expect whales to have more sense than to just swim into underwater generators.

There is a contentious theory that submersed machinery will play havoc with a whale's hearing, coordination etc and has been linked to beachings. We are lucky that the Pentland Firth has such a wide variety of cetacean life.

MadPict
17-May-07, 16:59
What we need to do is put the wind turbines on the sea floor and the tidal generators on the moorlands - sorted. Kushti.......

noodle
17-May-07, 17:12
There is a contentious theory that submersed machinery will play havoc with a whale's hearing, coordination etc and has been linked to beachings. We are lucky that the Pentland Firth has such a wide variety of cetacean life.

Sonic booms used for seafloor exploration (to find oil etc) and noise created by shipping lanes has been found to affect migration patterns and the general navigation of any marine animal that uses sonar to navigate iirc.

Ricco
18-May-07, 18:16
Do you know... I have pondering about getting one of those wind turbines from B&Q (we get a regular prevailing Westerly here) but I am having my doubts. They cost £1500, including installation, granted but they are only rated to last 10 years. What do you do then? Scrap it and buy another? And.. what is the carbon footprint in the manufacture of one? Is it really just another over-rated and over-bloated idea?