PDA

View Full Version : Pentalina replacement.

The Horseman
03-Mar-17, 14:18
Interesting to note that the new Gills ferry is being built in Vietnam.
Does the general public agree with outsourcing £14 million to a 'foreign' Country?

theone
03-Mar-17, 14:48
Interesting to note that the new Gills ferry is being built in Vietnam.
Does the general public agree with outsourcing £14 million to a 'foreign' Country?

Pentland Ferries is a private company that receives no public funding.

On that basis I think they can spend their money wherever they want.

gillsbay
03-Mar-17, 16:10
Could a UK shipyard build the same ship within the time and within budget?

The Horseman
03-Mar-17, 17:19
Pentland Ferries is a private company that receives no public funding.

On that basis I think they can spend their money wherever they want.

Glad you are one who supports Scotland/ The U.K./ The European Market.

Shaggy
03-Mar-17, 17:23
Wherever can build to the spec for the cheapest price gets the job. Can't expect a British shipyard worker to work for £2 a day can you?

The Horseman
03-Mar-17, 17:29
Could a UK shipyard build the same ship within the time and within budget?

I really don't know about that, but surely one needs lead time to build a boat that size, and a few years ago I saw a boat that was built there....yes they are cheaper....I shall say 'no more'. Hopefully it all works out for you. Yes, I know you get no Gov't money......Yes, I have been on the Pentalina.....Oh...I didn't say the UK.
Just wondered what the Scottish people think...the ones who Dinna want to Brexit. Just a simples Q......

theone
03-Mar-17, 20:46
Glad you are one who supports Scotland/ The U.K./ The European Market.

Where were the majority of the components your computer/phone that you are connected to the internet with built?

What about your TV?

If it's public money being spent, I believe you can have a say as a taxpayer. When it's private money - that's the choice of the owner.

Of course I would prefer it (if I had a say in the matter) built in Scotland or the UK, but the fact is commercial shipbuilding is now dominated by the Far East. That's because there they provide the best mix of quality and cost in that field.

golach
03-Mar-17, 20:53
The present Pentalina was built in Cebu in the Philippines and launched in 2008, never saw any song and dance about it then, why now?

The Horseman
04-Mar-17, 00:22
No song and dance really...
Trump has started a new theme....build it yourself.......keep the jobs 'in house/country/union'...amongst those who can have some benefit from it.
I know of a substantial sailboat built in Taiwan. After 5 years it needed a 'refit'.
We sometimes think that cheaper is the best way....but....just my opinion that is all. And I wanted to hear what other people thought.
Holland and Europe build boats....and Vietnam is 9000km away by air. Think if the cost/time shipping it to Caithness. Europe is round e corner.....I know all about the Unions in the UK....finis.

Mackerel
04-Mar-17, 08:20
I'm so glad that Pentland Ferries runs on commercial nous rather than armchair ideology, otherwise we'd be stuck with a Northlink tax-payer-subsidised monopoly.

mi16
04-Mar-17, 10:59
Yes I agree, no problem with it at all

sids
04-Mar-17, 12:01
I'm so glad that Pentland Ferries runs on commercial nous rather than armchair ideology, otherwise we'd be stuck with a Northlink tax-payer-subsidised monopoly.

Yes, he's a competitive businessman, as are some shipbuilders.

Buying stuff from wherever you want is something of a basic freedom.

Rheghead
04-Mar-17, 12:58
Well we could have had a tunnel for £100 million, it's a bit difficult to outsource building a tunnel in another country.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/163-100m-tunnel-to-orkney-feasible-1-739095

mi16
04-Mar-17, 14:03
Not really, place a tender with the Vietnam tunnel building co and they flood with their own staff.
I doubt if a tunnel could be built for anything like £100m

sids
04-Mar-17, 14:34
they flood with their own staff.

Unfortunate metaphor.

mi16
04-Mar-17, 14:43
Boom boom........

Rheghead
04-Mar-17, 16:01
It was a 2005 prices.

mi16
04-Mar-17, 16:47
I know that, I don't believe it could have been done for £100m back then either
i mean the Scottish Parliament building cost £414 million back then and it is just a building.

Rheghead
04-Mar-17, 16:49

It depends on the contract, if you bring in a load of Vietnamese workers then I would agree.

mi16
04-Mar-17, 17:10
That would be bound under UK employment law same as you or I

Rheghead
04-Mar-17, 20:20
That would be bound under UK employment law same as you or I

Absolutely, same wages etc but extra costs in hotels etc

mi16
04-Mar-17, 20:51
Absolutely, same wages etc but extra costs in hotels etc

Hqve I missed the local tunnel building squad?

sids
04-Mar-17, 22:43
i mean the Scottish Parliament building cost £414 million back then and it is just a building.

And the Edinburgh trams. Some say they're not even in a tunnel.

joxville
05-Mar-17, 10:37
I was involved in the building of this tunnel https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindhead_Tunnel, the tunnel section is 1.14 miles and cost £142 000 per yard; I doubt there will ever be a tunnel to South Ronaldsay, it'll cost billions at today's rates.

Fulmar
05-Mar-17, 11:16
Personally, I would rather have the ferry and the money 'saved' from the tunnel building scheme spent on many other worthy things! However, since there never was going to be a tunnel, it seems a bit pointless to even be saying this, doesn't it?

PentlandFerries
17-Apr-17, 12:39
I'd like to comment that the user 'gillsbay' has no affiliation with Pentland Ferries. This is the only account that we use and therefore the comments of the user 'gillsbay' should not be taken as the comments of Pentland Ferries.

orkneycadian
06-May-18, 14:20
So what are the official comments of Pentland Ferries on the delivery date for the new catamaran?

crayola
19-May-18, 15:27
The Pentalina is not so old. Why the need for a new one?

orkneycadian
19-May-18, 16:57
More capacity we understand. And the old one is starting to get a bit scabby round the edges. Maybe some maintenance wouldn't go amiss....

crayola
19-May-18, 18:39
More capacity required is good news. :)

orkneycadian
04-Dec-19, 18:18
After a month in operation, the new boat, the Alfred seems to be very well received. Some teething issues that could do with getting resolved - The bits of rope to hold the doors open rather than the magnetic catches, the trays that fall through the chrome rails in front of the serving hatch, the tremendous noise of the bow thrusters. But all in all, an improvement.

Seems all is not so well in the Northlink camp however;

https://www.orcadian.co.uk/calmac-launch-ferry-legal-action/

Some choice words from Jamie Halcro-Johnston, the Highlands and Islands MSP;

"Highlands and Islands MSP Jamie Halcro Johnston slammed the SNP and said this legal action by the government-owned CalMac will lead to more uncertainty and delay for travellers.
He said: “When factored in with the completely unacceptable delays with the two new ferries being built, the delays on reducing fares to Orkney and Shetland and its refusal to meet its pledge on fair funding for inter-island ferries this really is turning into a fiasco.
“People in the islands want assurances that these vital links will be secure and that improvements to the service will start to get underway. But with the SNP in sole charge of transport for more than 12 years, things just keep getting worse.
“This is what happens when you have a nationalist government completely distracted by the constitution.”

Shaggy
05-Dec-19, 08:41
you could always move to the mainland...but then you would have to suffer the crappy train and bus services...

Gronnuck
05-Dec-19, 12:27
you could always move to the mainland...but then you would have to suffer the crappy train and bus services...

I’ve never known orkneycadian to have anything positive to say about anything.

auk
05-Dec-19, 20:51
Yes I agree

He usually prefers sarcasm and put downs to saying anything good about anything
Just like his comments on the new boat, improvement but...... but....... but......

orkneycadian
07-Dec-19, 13:06
Thank you to everyone at Caithness market yesterday who put coins in the bucket for the local RBLS. The sum of £76 was raised @ 0122 24/11/19, in the thread "Thank You"

Well done Fran! @ 2228 4/12/19, in the thread "Thank You"

I’ve never known orkneycadian to have anything positive to say about anything. @ 1127 on 5/12/19

I guess you don't read all the threads then?