PDA

View Full Version : Tollemache House Mural

The Pepsi Challenge
03-Jun-05, 11:53
Is anyone familiar with the abstract mural emblazoned on the side of Thurso Music Shop? You know, the piece of art that looks a cross between Picasso and logo test designs for British Airways? There's two images of it.

I'm trying to find out more about the history of the project, and the artist. As far as I'm aware he was a Polish artist (his name is far to difficult to spell) commissioned by Sir Tollemache. I also think - perhaps some art-heads out there can confirm or deny this - that the style is Deconstruction, hence the red, white and black colours used.

The piece is an integral slice of Thurso's make-up. I heard there were plans to remove it. I sincerely hope not.

No doubt this topic will get tempers raging, eh, Golach?

exiledtoedinburgh
05-Jun-05, 18:06
Hey Pepsi,

I know that the mural can't be removed because it's listed. I'm not sure how you'd find out more about it to be honest, but there must be someone local who can tell you more.

cb
05-Jun-05, 21:03
I think the mural was designed by the sister of the late Lord Thurso (Robin Sinclair). She was married to a Polish man.

gleeber
05-Jun-05, 22:54
Coincidently, the painting was re-painted this past week. It looks great.
cbs right about the Sinclair connection.

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Jun-05, 08:55
Married to a Polish man - that'll be the link, then. Many thanks to all for taking the time to post. Appreciated.

scotsboy
06-Jun-05, 09:04
I remember reading something about it in the Groat many years ago. I did a wee search on the listed buildings in Thurso area last night but it did not appear, could be that I was doing the search wrong.

I did find a comment from somoeone on the Nowhere Guide site, who, lets say didn't think much of it :lol: But I kinda like it. :cool:

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Jun-05, 14:00
Coincidently, the painting was re-painted this past week. It looks great.
cbs right about the Sinclair connection.

Excellent. I wonder if anyone has any photographs they're willing to upload?