PDA

View Full Version : Tea-stained mugs

badger
16-May-07, 12:06
I started using bone china mugs instead of pottery for my daily cuppa a while ago and now find they're badly stained in spite of scrubbing. In fact not sure that doesn't make it worse. Don't like chemicals so what can I use to get them clean as they really look horrid now.

Dadie
16-May-07, 12:19
i usually pour a bleach solution in mine and leave them overnight you could try denture tablets if you dont like the idea of using bleach

badger
16-May-07, 12:28
Thanks for that - might try denture tablets or at least see what's in them. That's the trouble with strong cleaners and why I won't use bleach - bad for the septic tank. I'm really hoping for something natural like those two ladies on tv would use :D

Dadie
16-May-07, 12:48
bicarb and vinegar paste? or bicarb dipped in half a lemon type of cleaning

Angela
16-May-07, 13:39
Can your mugs go in the microwave, badger? (oh -first question -do you have a m'wave?)
If so, you could perhaps try squeezing half a lemon into hot water in each mug, and then m'waving it for a minute or so -leave it to stand for a wee while, then sponge round inside the mug.
This has worked for me with other things. :)
Reminds me ...need to clean my m'wave.........[evil] I use a similar technique....

badger
17-May-07, 11:49
Thanks for last two suggestions Angela and Dadie - sounds more my kind of thing. I use vinegar and bicarb to clean the sink drains so will try that first and then buy a lemon if I need to. :)

dragonfly
17-May-07, 11:54
tiny drop of bleach works wonders, don't even have to leave it soaking for too long

oops just read about not wanting to use bleach cos of your septic tank!

Angela
17-May-07, 14:07
Thanks for last two suggestions Angela and Dadie - sounds more my kind of thing. I use vinegar and bicarb to clean the sink drains so will try that first and then buy a lemon if I need to. :)

The advantage of a lemon is, if you don't need to use it all, it goes so well in a G&T....;) .....

badger
17-May-07, 17:49
No problem with that - might even need one after all that hard work :roll:

gleeber
17-May-07, 18:50
Little bit of wet sand

scotsboy
17-May-07, 19:32
Or similar to Gleebers suggestion, some salt wee drop of water to dampen it.

pat
17-May-07, 23:28
A wee bit of damp salt or soda bic on a cloth or paper, quick rub, no stain left and no harse chemicals used.

golach
18-May-07, 10:17
I started using bone china mugs instead of pottery for my daily cuppa a while ago and now find they're badly stained in spite of scrubbing. In fact not sure that doesn't make it worse. Don't like chemicals so what can I use to get them clean as they really look horrid now.
this is a good web site for tips
http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/

I use table salt to clean tea stains of cups, wet the cup, pour salt and use your fingers to rub the salt around the cup, rinse and continue if the stain persists

badger
20-May-07, 18:30
Many thanks everyone. Am trying the salt and bi-carb but think I need to persevere a bit longer. Maybe I'm using the wrong kind of tea :eek: . However I will not give up (will not, will not ...).

emb123
21-May-07, 17:37
not sure where you can get it here as I've not run out yet - perhaps Tesco or a hardware shop, but there is some stuff called "Barkeepers Friend" that isn't very dear and is a superb cleaner for pretty much any sort of stain on or in anything - it's a white powder that you sprinkle onto a cloth and wet with a little water. I use it for cleaning brass as it's a thousand times better than Brasso and a fair bit cheaper too. Tea-stained mugs is a something it's really excellent for.

Incredibly useful stuff :)

badger
21-May-07, 22:54
Thanks emb. I've been soaking in salt all day and will give them a rub tonight but am willing to try anything after that. Still have the lemon in reserve. orgers are so useful :)

emb123
22-May-07, 09:43
:) No bother. I can confirm Barkeepers Friend definitely works - it removes the stain instantly. A friend of mine who design kitchens for John Lewis Plc told me it is also the ONLY product they recommend for cleaning stains off of their very expensive kitchen worktops.

Although it's only something we can look at wistfully up here, I notice that Asda list it in their 'take a look' (at what you can't get :( ) online store for £1.94 for a 200g container. (It's a rather conical shaped plastic container with a flip up top to sprinkle a little out onto a damp cloth.)

I noticed that you can buy it online as a last resort if unable to get locally. I think I'll get a visitor from down south to bring me up a tub when they come up in the next month or two and if you like I can ask for more than one : ) ). You can get it online too.

Wonderful stuff. I use it to clean up valuable antique brass electric fans that haven't been cleaned for 80 years - removes all the grime and muck in next to no time without scratching unlike spending two days doing it with Brasso. All sorts of other uses including some fabrics, with care. Cannot be used on silver tho'.

badger
25-May-07, 11:09
Sorry emb - I'm not online much just now so am catching up. Bi-carb worked on 3 mugs but not other 3 so am wondering now if my scrubbing has damaged the glaze. Anyway am about to try Angela's lemon recipe and if that fails I'll try your suggestion - or maybe the denture cleaner! To be honest I don't mind for myself but can't really offer these things to guests :(

Tried the lemon cure - well done, Angela, first prize. It worked when salt and bi-carb failed. Will keep a note of other remedies just in case. Six nice clean mugs.

Angela
25-May-07, 16:21
Tried the lemon cure - well done, Angela, first prize. It worked when salt and bi-carb failed. Will keep a note of other remedies just in case. Six nice clean mugs.

Hurrah! So glad to hear the lemons worked, badger! :D

Um...so where's my prize then :eek: ......?

dirdyweeker
25-May-07, 23:56
give it a rub with yuor toothbrush and paste last thing every night. If it works for your pearlies it will work on the mug!:lol: