PDA

View Full Version : Premmature babies

Ash
16-May-07, 10:13
was wondering if anyone had ever had a prem baby, my little girl is 3 now, she was 11weeks prem she weighed 3lbs 1, i havent heard of many prem babies up here, was just curious, i had an emergency c-section due to placenta abruption, she stayed in scbu for 12 weeks, i really want another baby but im soo scared of it happening again i was also sick through the whole duration of my short pregnancy...........:roll:

Dadie
16-May-07, 10:18
most the babies that are premature are either born in inverness or are flown down there soon after although i have heard of babies going as far away as aberdeen and dundee to get a bed!

Wellies
16-May-07, 10:21
My baby was born at 28 weeks, 2lb 2ozs and spent 15 weeks in SCBU. She is absolutely fine now and you would never know she was born so small and so early. I was driven down in an ambulance from Wick to Inverness while in labour and was only in Inverness for 5 mins before I gave birth as the helicopter was busy else where. The ambulance had to come from Thurso as the Wick ambulances were busy, no midwife as there were too few. 1 ambulance driver and 1 doctor. Thank goodness she waited long enough to have her in Inverness. The one comment that did get me mad was the one made by the midwife when I arrived in Wick. "What's wrong with you cause nothing looks wrong with you?!?! You are not having your baby right now as you are far to early. You'll just be one of those paranoid first time mothers" As you can imagine she soon shut up. Everyone else was brilliant and they couldn't do enough for you

Ash
16-May-07, 10:22
my little girls the same everyone kept telling me she might be abit behind, but she wasnt at all, that used to annoy me

Lavenderblue2
16-May-07, 10:46
My firstborn was nearly five weeks premature due to an accident, she weighed 4lbs but that dropped and she spent four weeks in special care. Mind you, that was 40 years ago this month!

In answer to you first post Ash my second baby was born just 13 months later at home with absolutely no problems at all. These days you would get far better care than we did in those days. In most cases no two pregnacies are the same - try not to worry.

LB

Ash
16-May-07, 10:57
i know, its just when i was pregnant the doctors up here werent very good, i had loads of problems, they kept telling me nothing was wrong then after i had her i was told it couldve been prevented if i was cared for properly

porshiepoo
16-May-07, 11:23
My twins were premature but only by 3 weeks, which is good for twins apparantly.
The first one was 5lbs and the second 4lb 8oz, again good weights for twins let alone 3 week prem twins. :)
Had no problems with them other that the younger one having osteomyalitis at 3 weeks of age. Very touch and go for a while but she's fine now - other than the usual accidents and both having scholiosis :confused

brandy
16-May-07, 11:35
all three of my boys were born in invernes, im diabetic, so they give me extra care.
i was in inverness once a month for check ups then down in inverness a week before having the first two, toms case was just tragic though,, as he was perfectly healthy and its just one of those things that happens.
if you are high risk more than likley you will be seen in inverness, and just get check ups up here when and where you need them. most of my scans were even in inverness..
its entirely up to you hun, some very good advice that i was given,
when you want a baby bad enough to be willing to take the risk, that is when you start ttc again.
we are going to try again, just as soon as im ready to take that chance.
all the best in your choices!
ohh and sam was born at 37+3
ben at almost 38 weeks
and tom at 35+3

Ash
16-May-07, 11:46
hey honey thank you! :D

cuddlepop
16-May-07, 13:31
My eldest was born 5 weeks early and as things moved so fast he was born in Portree.We weren't transferred immediatly as he was over 5lb but he developed jaundice which need light therapy in Inverness so off we went after 5 days.The levels aren't so dangerous once the baby's 10 days old so we got home them.He was really yellow for weks so had to keep an eye on fluid intake.
Now he's a strapping 6"5 and as fit as a fiddle so it hasn't harmed him.:)

lynne duncan
16-May-07, 13:36
wish I could help but I couldn't get mine out all 3 stayed for the extra 2 weeks they were too comfy

Geo
16-May-07, 15:37
Ash that is simalar to my wife's experience. Our son was born seven weeks early, weighing 3lbs 4oz and the doctors said he was much sicker than he should have been at that age. My wife was sick for most of the pregnancy and eventually was rushed into hospital for a c-section. Her blood pressure was through the roof. She had Preeclampsia and at one point a nurse told me I nearly lost them both. It was an extremely stressful time but slowly they both recovered and we were blessed with a beautiful son.

That was 16 years ago, (where does the time go?) and our son is a wonderful lad with a great sense of humour. He just completed his final exams at school today. <proud dad alert> I'm feeling all warm and glowy inside, having a son who has finished school and is talking about the next stage of his life.</proud dad alert> :)

Foxy
16-May-07, 21:38
My firstborn was six weeks early, weighed 4lb 15ozs and was born by emergency c-section because i had preeclampsia and spent 2 weeks in scbu, although we ended up being rushed back to raigmore when she was 11 weeks old as she stopped breathing. She had an upper respitory infection for which they gave her antibiotics and she was allowed to go home three days later. She is now 15 and going through the rebellion bit. After the problems with my first born i was never having a second but seven years later along came her little brother and he was late and came in at a whooping 10lbs. :roll: The only person who can decided wether you should have another baby is you but all i can say is no two pregnancy's are the same.

Julia
16-May-07, 22:02
My second child was 6 weeks early weighing 4lb 7oz, I had pre-eclampsia and spent 5 few weeks in Wick and Raigmore before she was born, she only spent about one week in SCBU and had no problems whatsoever apart from a bit of jaundice. We got home when she was 3 weeks old.

My son was born in Raigmore at 38 weeks (five months ago) and he weighed 9lb 12oz, I was rushed to Raigmore at 27 weeks as my waters ruptured. No pre-eclampsia this time.

All 3 of my pregnancies have been totally different, improving with age it seems :D

I'd far rather be in Raigmore than Wick anyday!