PDA

View Full Version : Don't let them eat me!

karia
15-May-07, 20:08
Hello All,

Have two lovely cleg bites today, each the size of Belgium.

wouldn't mind, but I only went to Sainsbury's yesterday.

Coming upto C&S next month , for a really important break, & I remember Tugmistress saying that they were more of a problem than midges.:roll:!!!!

I'm on antihistamines anyway,..any other advice?

I react badly to bites & stings..
...always travel with 'jungle formula'..but still they find me![disgust]

P.S Any ideas, however absurd!

karia X

changilass
15-May-07, 20:12
Avon skin so soft bath oil works a treat so long as the sun aint out.

karia
15-May-07, 20:14
What happens if the sun comes out?

golach
15-May-07, 20:16
Karia, get some Avon Skin-So-Soft moisturiser body spray, It works wonders for mosquitos Mrs G swears by it....and to tell the truth, I use it also :roll: And it smells a lot nice than the propritory anti mozzie stuff . We always go abroad with at least two bottles

changilass
15-May-07, 20:17
Its oil based so you fry lol, but aparently avon now do a version of skin so soft that aint oil based but costs a lot more.

Hope you enjoy your visit

karia
15-May-07, 20:38
Thanks changilass, will pursue Avon lady, if I see her!

Karia, get some Avon Skin-So-Soft moisturiser body spray, It works wonders for mosquitos Mrs G swears by it....and to tell the truth, I use it also :roll: And it smells a lot nice than the propritory anti mozzie stuff . We always go abroad with at least two bottles

I'm sure you smell lovely, golach!

What about clegs?...What does mrs G do to deter them!

and once the've bitten you..what then ? My OH is threatening to take me to casualty!

Dadie
16-May-07, 08:00
i got a little thing with a click button on it "a sting zapper" which you click on the bite or sting a few times.. it is supposed to make your body release cortisol i think which takes the itch, swelling, and redness down faster i know it sounds silly but it does help!

Tugmistress
16-May-07, 09:19
Got no suggestions really Karia, I'm worse than a kid when i get bit by the little blighters, i scratch the top off and squeeze as much liquid out as i can, it stops the itching but sometimes look a little battle scarred :roll: until the wee scab heals :roll:

Geo
16-May-07, 11:10
I find midgies are much more prevalent here. I had maybe seen one or two clegs in Caithness in the last 10+ years, then last year the garden was full of them for a day or two, then the were gone again. Midgies every year though.

karia
16-May-07, 11:24
i got a little thing with a click button on it "a sting zapper" which you click on the bite or sting a few times.. it is supposed to make your body release cortisol i think which takes the itch, swelling, and redness down faster i know it sounds silly but it does help!

Dadie, tell me more,..please. I am still suffering! kariaX

porshiepoo
16-May-07, 11:25
Clegs????????? :confused

Where I come from 'clegs' are something you find hanging from animals backsides :eek: meaning dried muck etc.

Dadie
16-May-07, 12:05
i think i got it from the big chemists it sends small electrical impulses into the bite im not sure how it really works but it does [lol]

Dadie
16-May-07, 12:12
i also read somewhere that the B vitamins in marmite repel the little bloodsuckers but i dont like marmite maybe a vit supplement could help its a long term thing though and garlic repels them but also anyone else![lol]

MadPict
16-May-07, 12:13
Is this the gadget?
http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Click---Insect-Bite-Relief-In-Minutes.html

Citronella based spray always seemed to work against the Midge when I was a kid.

Dadie
16-May-07, 12:15
yep that is it mine is green though wish i had the yellow one looks easier to find (harder to lose at the bottom of my bag)

karia
16-May-07, 12:31
Thanks Dadie and Madpict. Looks like just the job!:) K.

Tugmistress
16-May-07, 12:55
Clegs????????? :confused

Where I come from 'clegs' are something you find hanging from animals backsides :eek: meaning dried muck etc.

Think Horsefly!

cathy
16-May-07, 13:02
Hi Karia,
I am travelling up to the highlands in June and staying for a couple of weeks.
Concerned about the cleg bites you mentioned, are they the same as tick bites.
Cathy

Dadie
16-May-07, 13:14
just as sore but think horsefly they bite suck your blood and fly off not suck your blood and stay like ticks but they can get you through a shirt

ps for easy tick removal grab it as near the head as possible with tweezers or forceps and turn it 1and a 1/2 turns anticlockwise and it will be removed without leaving its head or legs in! got told this from a vet ! v effective!

porshiepoo
16-May-07, 13:17
Think Horsefly!

Ouch!!!!!!!

cuddlepop
16-May-07, 13:24
Looks a great cadget thanks for the link.

Clegg bites are awful and any relieve is good news.Avons skin so soft does work you just got to remember to reapply :eek: it use to be just the woodland fresh and not the pink bottle,that worked.

Dadie
16-May-07, 13:37
another solution i have found is to go walking with my hubby he seems to get bitten more than me and if i walk with him i dont seem to get bitten as much *hahaha*

karia
16-May-07, 13:48
Unfortunately Dadie,our situation is quite the reverse. OH appears to repel them!:roll: