PDA

View Full Version : alex salmond

Tom Cornwall
15-May-07, 19:19
Is alex salmond going to be physically able to be in Edinburgh representing his constituents from Gordon, and be the Scottish First Minister, and also be in Westminster representing his constituents from Banff and Buchan? will he be standing down from his Banff and Buchan constituency?
Is he also going to be receiving 3 salaries?
Any ideas??

scotsboy
15-May-07, 19:21
What is happening withthe whole first minister thing - will Wee Eck just go for it with minority government? I think he just wants to be first minister - he is like a rabbit stuck in the glare or the headlights:)

changilass
15-May-07, 19:25
Surely whoever gets the position of First minister would be in the same position

scotsboy
15-May-07, 19:29
I disagree - Joke McConnel was more like a rabbit who had been run over by a car.

JAWS
15-May-07, 19:32
Contrary to certain rumours there would appear to be nothing to indicate that Salmond intends to stand as a candidate for MEP at the next European Elections so he can claim to have a "full house"! :D

Angela
15-May-07, 19:32
I disagree - Joke McConnel was more like a rabbit who had been run over by a car.

You're on form tonight scotsboy!;)

I can't possibly comment on Wee Eck as he was extremely rude to my son-in-law in the line of work for no apparent reason, which of course makes him entirely unsuitable for the role of First Minister! [lol]

Rheghead
15-May-07, 22:51
Alex was on form tonight. He was speaking like a true oppositioner when he was spouting that he wanted an inquiry into the election fiasco. Come off it Alex, you will be 1st minister in a few days, so demand it, you toothless prolitariat!!!;)

JAWS
15-May-07, 23:43
Come on Rheghead, be fair to the man. He's in total shock and determined to find out how he failed to lose! :eek:

peter macdonald
16-May-07, 08:29
For goodness sake the guy hasnt even got the job yet and the flak has started
Perhaps regarding the election fiasco i suggest you aim squarely at the Scottish Secy Douglas Alexander MP who organised the thing (if you can find him which is more than Scots journalists can !)
This is a minority government which something not too many have lived under before so it will be interesting to see how it pans out It may be good or bad time will tell but I hope it will be better than what we have had under 50 years of labour domination in Scotland
Rheggers a wee observation ..I would have thought from the election result that you would have noticed that negativity lost on this occasion ie despite the bile from the West of Scotland media the BBC and the Sun (imagine any REAL Labour party aligning itself with Rupert Murdoch ) MacConnells lot still could not frighten enough people in to voting for them again
Maybe just maybe Scotland is emerging from its political sleep the sleep that made them think that the Labour party of Blair Mandelson MacConnell Lord Levi etc etc were the same Labour party as Bevan ,Gaitskill ,Wilson ,John Smith etc etc
PM

Humerous Vegetable
16-May-07, 09:53
For goodness sake the guy hasnt even got the job yet and the flak has started
Perhaps regarding the election fiasco i suggest you aim squarely at the Scottish Secy Douglas Alexander MP who organised the thing (if you can find him which is more than Scots journalists can !)
This is a minority government which something not too many have lived under before so it will be interesting to see how it pans out It may be good or bad time will tell but I hope it will be better than what we have had under 50 years of labour domination in Scotland
Rheggers a wee observation ..I would have thought from the election result that you would have noticed that negativity lost on this occasion ie despite the bile from the West of Scotland media the BBC and the Sun (imagine any REAL Labour party aligning itself with Rupert Murdoch ) MacConnells lot still could not frighten enough people in to voting for them again
Maybe just maybe Scotland is emerging from its political sleep the sleep that made them think that the Labour party of Blair Mandelson MacConnell Lord Levi etc etc were the same Labour party as Bevan ,Gaitskill ,Wilson ,John Smith etc etc
PM

Well said. I think one of the outstanding results of this election must be the fact that a political party in the west has won a majority without the backing (and with the outright hostility of some) of the media. Why else did New Labour brown-nose the Murdoch group in the 90s to get the Sun in it's pocket? It must be a major blow to our "opinion formers" in the media that the electorate have the guts to make up their own minds.

Skerries
16-May-07, 13:11
I don't understand why people would buy papers that so blatantly tell them what to think instead of presenting some arguments and letting people decide for themselves. The Sun was laughable before the election... surely that noose on the cover backfired? :confused

Humerous Vegetable
16-May-07, 14:05
I don't understand why people would buy papers that so blatantly tell them what to think instead of presenting some arguments and letting people decide for themselves. The Sun was laughable before the election... surely that noose on the cover backfired? :confused

Some people don't have an opinion until they read it in the paper. And some only read papers that re-inforce their existing beliefs and prejudices. Before the New Labour victory in 1997, Sun readers were always told to vote Tory, which is why we all had to put up with Maggie for so long. As I say, I'm glad the Scottish electorate have demonstrated that they don't need to be told by Rupert the Scare what way to cast their vote.

Rheghead
16-May-07, 14:37
Some people don't have an opinion until they read it in the paper. And some only read papers that re-inforce their existing beliefs and prejudices. Before the New Labour victory in 1997, Sun readers were always told to vote Tory, which is why we all had to put up with Maggie for so long. As I say, I'm glad the Scottish electorate have demonstrated that they don't need to be told by Rupert the Scare what way to cast their vote.

I dare say that without being informed by some sort of media you and I wouldn't have an opinion on anything either. And there isn't a media on Earth that doesn't have a bias in it. It is not just the Sun.

whitechina
16-May-07, 19:42
Is alex salmond going to be physically able to be in Edinburgh representing his constituents from Gordon, and be the Scottish First Minister, and also be in Westminster representing his constituents from Banff and Buchan? will he be standing down from his Banff and Buchan constituency?
Is he also going to be receiving 3 salaries?
Any ideas??

I'm sure I read in a newspaper last year that Alex Salmond said he would resign his Westminster seat if elected to the Scottish Parliament.Can't remember which paper I'd read that in though.Wish I'd cut out that and kept it!I don't see how he can possibly do three jobs at once.I can't help but wonder if Salmond is the kind of politician who prospers in opposition but flounders in power.Maybe after 4 years in power and no possibility of independence will he decide to head back south to London?Maybe that's why he's going to hang on to his Westminster seat?

golach
16-May-07, 21:57
We are all doomed, just who are these bunch on nonentities that are going to be ruling us now?
Any one want to place a bet? That the first piece of legislature that gets put through are a salary rise for Wee Fat Eck and his cronies [disgust]

Oddquine
16-May-07, 22:44
I'm sure I read in a newspaper last year that Alex Salmond said he would resign his Westminster seat if elected to the Scottish Parliament.Can't remember which paper I'd read that in though.Wish I'd cut out that and kept it!I don't see how he can possibly do three jobs at once.I can't help but wonder if Salmond is the kind of politician who prospers in opposition but flounders in power.Maybe after 4 years in power and no possibility of independence will he decide to head back south to London?Maybe that's why he's going to hang on to his Westminster seat?

When the Scottish Parliament was set up, a number of MSPs of all colours were members in both Westminster and Edinburgh.

The benefit of a dual role SNP MP/MSP is that they only need to be in Westminster for votes which will/might directly concern Scotland........and they are not that common nowadays.

As far as I am aware, Alex Salmond will not contest his Westminster seat at the next General Election. That's what every MP/MSP in this position has done.

Keith Shelley
16-May-07, 23:37
Nationalists of all sorts scare me, I am truly British being a "hof an a hof" these people would happily turn me in to a non person if they could.

DeHaviLand
16-May-07, 23:45
We are all doomed, just who are these bunch on nonentities that are going to be ruling us now?
Any one want to place a bet? That the first piece of legislature that gets put through are a salary rise for Wee Fat Eck and his cronies [disgust]

I'll take that bet Golach. Shall we make it, say, £2000?

peter macdonald
17-May-07, 02:55
"We are all doomed, just who are these bunch on nonentities that are going to be ruling us now?"
The same bunch who were democratically elected by the people of Scotland
Whether you like it or not that is the result of democracy and well if you dont like democracy then there are plenty places you could go to experience the other side of the coin Saudi Zimbabwe Sudan come to mind
I bet the ordinary folkies in places like that would just love our system what ever the result
PM

JAWS
17-May-07, 07:22
I'll take that bet Golach. Shall we make it, say, £2000?Is that for the Monthly amount of the pay-rise?

peter macdonald
17-May-07, 09:57
http://www.spinwatch.org/content/view/2924/9/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monklandsgate

or as they were dubbed by one political commentator "The Lanarkshire Sopranos"
PM

golach
17-May-07, 10:05
I'll take that bet Golach. Shall we make it, say, £2000?
Each way or on the nose ?

jay
17-May-07, 13:14
I am I the only one who finds it funny that we now have as our first minister Alex Salmon(d) and the new deputy provost of Aberdeen (also SNP) is John West!

scotsboy
17-May-07, 13:19
Do you think thee is something fishy?

Rheghead
17-May-07, 13:41
(also SNP) is John West!

I heard that John West rejects all accusations of being a tiddler

j4bberw0ck
17-May-07, 16:04
I think it's a shame the man allegedly "in charge" of fishing is no longer Ross Finnie.

This is not a political observation, mind.

Oddquine
17-May-07, 21:24
Nationalists of all sorts scare me, I am truly British being a "hof an a hof" these people would happily turn me in to a non person if they could.

And you come to that conclusion how?

Rheghead
17-May-07, 22:07
And you come to that conclusion how?

When Salmond in 1981 said "We are living under an army of occupation". How pathetic he sounded. He even had the gall to say that if it all turned to pants then we could always reinstate that army, even more pathetic.

squidge
17-May-07, 22:11
I think and I hope that the SNP will bring an exciting and interesting period in Scottish politics. AS i understand it they are wanting an independant and inclusive scotland - their candidates include people who are english too so i dont think Keith Shelley has much to fear. They need to tread very carefully though because this their best chance - that have to make a reasonable job of governing the country to stand any chance at all of getting elected again and taking forward their independance agenda. If they mess it up they will just disappear into obscurity

Me? The prospect of independance for scotland doesnt scare me as an english woman living here in the highlands. I do,at the moment, remain to be convinced that it is the right way to go - i am still struggling with the economics of independance but im trying to get a handle on what would be best. My bedtime reading is an interesting study into the independace question but im only managing a few pages a night. I am determined to make a determined effort to understand it and make my own decision.

Rheghead
17-May-07, 22:15
I think and I hope that the SNP will bring an exciting and interesting period in Scottish politics. AS i understand it they are wanting an independant and inclusive scotland - their candidates include people who are english too so i dont think Keith Shelley has much to fear.

From an interesting point, a poll indicated that the English wanted Scottish Independence too. Since the Scots get more taxation revenue than they can muster then I would be surprised if said English born SNP MSPs aren't think of their own pockets.

peter macdonald
17-May-07, 22:26
When Salmond in 1981 said "We are living under an army of occupation". How pathetic he sounded. He even had the gall to say that if it all turned to pants then we could always reinstate that army, even more pathetic.

No more pathetic than when Gordon Brown said he could never work with Alec Salmond .... Funny he has not said the same thing about working with the second minister in Stormont ...Please compare over the last 20 years Martin McGuiness and Alec Salmond wrt to their political career
PM

Rheghead
18-May-07, 14:08
Funny he has not said the same thing about working with the second minister in Stormont ...
PM

Has anyone asked his opinion???:confused

Do you think Brown is incapable of changing in such a big way?

golach
18-May-07, 14:45
My bedtime reading is an interesting study into the independace question but im only managing a few pages a night. I am determined to make a determined effort to understand it and make my own decision.
Squidge, when you finish reading the study, can you please let me know the result, because I am of the opinion that Wee Fat Eck could not run a menage far less an independant nation