PDA

View Full Version : compost

katarina
15-May-07, 18:40
I just bought a compost bin. Not sure how to make best compost tho. Some one said not to put in too much grass clippings. help please.

stratman
16-May-07, 08:26
I just bought a compost bin. Not sure how to make best compost tho. Some one said not to put in too much grass clippings. help please.

Hi Katarina

The trick is to make sure there is plenty of air in there. in bins it is difficult to turn the heap as you would in a loose one so you need to layer materials. The trouble with things like grass cuttings is that they don't let air in but they do help the heap heat up and work. If it is working without air it will just turn into a slime. IF you collect your kitchen waste separately and put it in in layers with your garden waste it should be fine. Don't compress the heap. Good compost is like a balanced diet. A bit of everything good.

katarina
16-May-07, 18:18
thank you for that

pat
19-May-07, 15:56
check out Garden Organic website - really useful hints and tips - great info on composting.
check out Waste Awareness web site too - all sorts of info on what to put in your bins.

stratman
19-May-07, 19:58
check out Garden Organic website - really useful hints and tips - great info on composting.
check out Waste Awareness web site too - all sorts of info on what to put in your bins.

This one I guess: http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicgardening/compost_2.php