PDA

View Full Version : Planners Give Go-ahead to Major Thurso Hotel Scheme

Raymond Taylor
30-Jan-17, 22:23
"Planners give go-ahead to major Thurso hotel scheme"

This newspaper headline from a few years ago is accurate and we have created a presentation (links below) to explain. We raise this point now at this late stage for two reasons. Firstly, it is only over the last few stages of public consultation that we have realised the majority of people and even councillors did not know this project had already been approved previously. And secondly, an imminent vote by our councillors will be taken on the future of this project.

Our presentation tells how our planning approval was so diabolically reversed more years ago now than I care to remember. It is interesting, revealing and controversial as the decision to overturn was politically motivated. It also touches on the consequences regarding jobs etc, which obviously has had a huge effect on the community and the economy of the town.

Councillors vote on this project on February the 14th 2017. The project's future will be decided on this vote, probably once and for all. This is a Local Plan decision and the next Local Plan review will be another 20 years away.
Highland Council planning officials are supporting our proposals, hundreds of man hours have gone into these planning officials' recommendations. These recommendations come from several rounds of public consultations and thousands of pages of documentation which have been produced mostly at the tax payers expense. The conclusion being support for a tourism and leisure allocation on this site.

All we need now for the chance of this project being delivered is the majority of our local (Caithness) Councillors to say "Aye" when they vote.

Please watch the presentation on our Facebook page (click here (https://www.facebook.com/pg/Thurso-Bay-Hotel-1898629973691806/videos/?ref=page_internal)) or as a PDF document [recommended] (click here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/53zvb0t6ebkitw7/Planning_History.pdf?dl=0)) - find out what went on all those years ago and have your say on Facebook or on this thread.

The Horseman
31-Jan-17, 02:13
I wish you all the best.......someone willing to pump money into Thurso should be commended.
One has to 'Speculate to Accumulate'.

Mr & Mrs
31-Jan-17, 08:19
Good luck to you.

Goodfellers
31-Jan-17, 08:58
Ditto to above comments

StuartColl
31-Jan-17, 10:17
Good luck
Thurso needs all the help it can get. Full credit for sticking at project

Recycle it
31-Jan-17, 10:45
Thurso now has it's own TRUMP .

k888ven
31-Jan-17, 11:33
All the best it will improve Thurso

vwgolf
31-Jan-17, 11:59
All the best for the hotel Thurso needs investment and forward thinking people.

pat
31-Jan-17, 18:51
Best Wishes with your venture

jockyplunck
31-Jan-17, 19:09
Best Wishes with your venture
hope things work out the jobs are needed.its about time something new came to thurso

Green_not_greed
02-Feb-17, 12:54
Best wishes Raymond. Given all the previous shenanigans and back stabbing hopefully this time it will be approved without incident. Thurso badly needs a quality hotel and the plans etc seem extremely well thought out and in keeping with the area. I fully support this venture (as do many others - look at the support on your facebook page) and hope it goes through. GNG

crayola
04-Feb-17, 01:33
Thurso now has it's own TRUMP .
Ha ha that's an excellent observation! How did I miss that wonderful comparison? :lol:

Raymond's proposed excrescence would destroy the view and the ambience for ever. His delusion is that a 7 metre tall hotel on a mildly sloping field will be almost invisible. I figured long ago that he fades into darkness when compared with the bright people in Thurso but I would never have guessed he doesn't know that light travels in straight lines and that his 7 metre tall hotel would stick up like a sore thumb even more because of that slope. :lol:

Raymondo's proposed hotel and his proposed holiday camp and his proposed restaurant and his proposed car park and his proposed roads and his proposed middens to service all of the above would ruin the Goddess' paradise that we all know and love.

Why would the people of Thurso want a noisy smelly holiday camp is such a beautiful location? And why would we want a Travelodge or worse on Victoria Walk? We can sell our best assets to the lowest bidder only once and once that asset has been destroyed we have lost it forever.

And why does his proposal not include a decommissioning plan to clear up the mess in the likely event of commercial failure?

I hope the Caithness councillors can see through his disingenuous plans and veto his proposed destruction of our town.

Bystander1
04-Feb-17, 08:40
Yet again this crazy from somehere Sooth has the idea that it speaks for the people of Thurso. We, the people of Thurso, have elected some kooks over the years but surely nothing this demented.

Raymond Taylor
04-Feb-17, 09:59
Seems the usual suspect has heard about the swell of public opinion getting behind our project. Hijacking all the old threads to continue her scaremongering rubbish from her base in the south. if you only could experience what I am these past few days sweetie. I'm hardly keeping up with all the support getting behind us. People from all walks of life and ages, mostly local living in or near the the town looking after the towns interest, seeing past all the objectors scaremongering.

They like me they know we can turn Thurso into a beacon of light for tourism on the north coast and all the local support that we are being given is absolutely amazing. The people are mobilising and it's a beautiful thing to see, please folk keep it up. We are now at almost 1000 likes on the Thurso Bay Hotel page, if you haven't done so please go hit out our pages like button if you want to see this happen. Also, if you have liked the page, even the smallest comment on your thoughts about the project would be great, many have already done so but every little helps us to formulate the best way forward.

10 days till D Day, I'll be back;)

The Horseman
04-Feb-17, 18:50
A Business man is a Business man and it continues. Obviously this person is willing to take the chance that no one else is interested in...Why slag him? Is there something hidden? He seems like an 'upfront' guy.....
There will be a lot of money at stake......
Other people stated what I had seen...Hardly any people take advantage of the walk or the ground. Most people are in cars.
I won't say Good Luck....just Good Business!

David Banks
08-Feb-17, 19:35
One interesting feature of the pictorial overview is the number of mature trees which will presumably be planted by the developer.

Will they be planted as seedlings with a canopy which will develop in (say) 30 or 40 years, or will larger trees be used?

cptdodger
09-Feb-17, 15:27
Ha ha that's an excellent observation! How did I miss that wonderful comparison? :lol:

Raymond's proposed excrescence would destroy the view and the ambience for ever. His delusion is that a 7 metre tall hotel on a mildly sloping field will be almost invisible. I figured long ago that he fades into darkness when compared with the bright people in Thurso but I would never have guessed he doesn't know that light travels in straight lines and that his 7 metre tall hotel would stick up like a sore thumb even more because of that slope. :lol:

Raymondo's proposed hotel and his proposed holiday camp and his proposed restaurant and his proposed car park and his proposed roads and his proposed middens to service all of the above would ruin the Goddess' paradise that we all know and love.

Why would the people of Thurso want a noisy smelly holiday camp is such a beautiful location? And why would we want a Travelodge or worse on Victoria Walk? We can sell our best assets to the lowest bidder only once and once that asset has been destroyed we have lost it forever.

And why does his proposal not include a decommissioning plan to clear up the mess in the likely event of commercial failure?

I hope the Caithness councillors can see through his disingenuous plans and veto his proposed destruction of our town.

I wondered when you would stick your oar in again. You really are quite a hateful person, you obviously have a personal grudge against Mr Taylor, which is who knows what, and to be honest I don't really care, These personal attacks are getting tiresome now, you clearly have nothing constructive to say about the subject whatsoever. It's just getting really pathetic now.

Raymond Taylor
10-Feb-17, 09:32
Wow!!!!! The letters page's of the Groat today made very interesting reading this morning. Neil McDonald ( Local Architect), Denchi and Morris Pottinger all have letters in supporting our project.

Neil's is an especially good read and informs what happened last August when your local Councillors decided to not follow their own officials recommendations supporting the hotel and Park project in the next local plan.

It actually makes unbelievable reading the way this was dealt with after all the years of work and public consultation that went into formulating CaSPlan. I won't say anymore at this time and let you make your own mind up. I will be making a final statement/plea to Councillors over the weekend. I'll try to get a copy of Neil's letter so I can post here later today.

Please leave a comment with your thoughts after reading on the Thurso Bay Hotel Facebook page. I cannot tell you how important comments are on this. 5 Days to D-Day.

Raymond Taylor
10-Feb-17, 14:27
Neil Mcdonald who wrote a "defining" article some time ago regarding the Mart site debacle, I'm sure most of you remember. He has once again I would say "hit the nail on the head" in today's Groat.

I have posted a link to the story on the Thurso Bay Hotel Facebook page, Neil just sent me a copy I could post. It's a comprehensive, revealing and somewhat controversial explanation in layman's terms what happened last year when our plans were not adopted into the local plan as recommendation by council officials.

It really need's to be read.

Kenn
12-Feb-17, 00:31
I wish you all the best. I moved to Caithness for the peace and quiet , wide open spaces but none of this is viable without people to promote the area. I can't see where the "Blocking the view," sentiment comes from, whilst admiring Thurso Bay, there is little that overlooks the site apart from Lidl's car park and I have not heard that they are planning a coffee shop or restaurant in the near future!

Thurso is dying commercially so any enterprise that seeks to reverse that trend is to be applauded.

The Horseman
12-Feb-17, 00:56
Well said.......I was wondering if I had missed some important feature but it appears not, from what you and others have now said. I come back every 2 years or so and usually head to The Upper Deck. Were there Caravans there some time ago? Hopefully this will get the 'go ahead', as the area towards the water won't look so barren/bare......

Crayola.....are u just joking, or r u serious....I cannot decipher!

Rheghead
12-Feb-17, 11:19
In terms of job quality for the town, would it be fair to say that this proposal just brings part-time work which comprises a reward which will be fixed just above minimum wage?

Bystander1
12-Feb-17, 21:11
No, it would not be fair to say that.

Rheghead
12-Feb-17, 21:46
No, it would not be fair to say that.

That's great, it is not often hotel staff get a half decent wage like £12 per hour and the opportunity to work fulltime.

Crackeday
13-Feb-17, 10:12
Best of luck, hope common sense prevails this time!

Bystander1
13-Feb-17, 12:58
So if £12 per hour is a half decent wage then a decent wage must be £24 per hour. That might be ok in Rheghead country but I could not drag myself out of bed for that.

Rheghead
13-Feb-17, 13:25
So if £12 per hour is a half decent wage then a decent wage must be £24 per hour. That might be ok in Rheghead country but I could not drag myself out of bed for that.

That is a pity if the new hotel business is going to pay a half decent wage of £12 per hour and people won't take those jobs because it is not enough.

Recycle it
14-Feb-17, 14:46
Well Thurso will have its pick of hotels shortly. I see the surveyers are looking at the old foundry and the field at the front in the mall for a 100 bed development with parking and multi halls for wedding . They are just waiting for the proposed seaside hotel to get the go ahead and set the president. If you open the door you can't stop others for taking the opportunity to make the money . The surveyers said " it's for a major developer that has very deep pockets" . One of the surveyers is into Boxer dogs ,so that's how we got speaking . All the best to everyone.

Green_not_greed
14-Feb-17, 16:19
"..set the president" ha ha ! Pass the cement...... :)

Recycle it
14-Feb-17, 20:25
Some are sharp and others razorsharp.

Right idea ,just the wrong field try the one that could block Saxons view.

travelling man
14-Feb-17, 22:13
Just to let you know the councillors in their wisdom have today decided that green fields are more important than jobs etc Thats it for Thurso Bay Hotel

Recycle it
14-Feb-17, 23:17
Is it more important to build the hotel or is it more important to build it there ,which could open up the fields surrounding it to housing at a later date. To say the Councillors are to blame is rubbish, looks like the Trump Supporters Bandwagon syndrome is alive and kicking. Right idea ,wrong place.

nevergiveup
14-Feb-17, 23:22
He can still have his hotel on other side of the road... and still view Thurso Bay.....Other sites in Thurso too......why wait 20 years to build a hotel....20 years of potential profit lost.......Councils decision is correct.....Those fields and the vista are what make Thurso special........

cptdodger
15-Feb-17, 00:42
So, in ten or so years time when Vulcan and Dounreay have gone, shops have closed down, even Tesco has pulled out. Nearest hospital - Inverness and so on. Look on the bright side, you will still have your precious view, nothing else, but you will have your view.

moses
15-Feb-17, 11:17
Raymond, have you not noticed, no matter what you try in Caithness be it Windmills, improving the Harbour or anything else you will always get some Fn idiot that feels they have got to object to it, as they have not got a life themselves they don't want anyone else to succeed,it's odd that they only come out of the woodwork when there is something to object to,I am sure if some of these objectors had half of your brains they would be over the moon,I therefore would like to wish you all the best in the future and hope the planning goes through.

kwbrown111
15-Feb-17, 12:01
Unbelievable, yet another disgraceful decision by the local councillors (noting east coast bias). The only one who spoke sensibly was Bill Fernie. This whole county is crying out for developments like this. As for the comments " People working at Dounreay are not going to work in a hotel" and " it will result in job losses in the town centre". Obviously people aren't going to leave Dounreay to work in a hotel and as far as job losses in the town centre you could nearly throw a stone and reach the town centre. More jobs are urgently needed in Thurso. As they say it's there's none as blind as those who don't want too see and that sums the councillors here. Sermon over.

cptdodger
15-Feb-17, 13:25
On the front page of The Highland Councillors website -

"We are a democratic organisation with 79 Elected Councillors who are responsible for agreeing policies about provision of services and how money is spent.

Councillors are here to represent the views and opinions of individuals. It is also their responsibility to help those with difficulties which the council could help solve.

Your councillor will discuss any concerns or problems relating to council services and listen to your views on issues that you feel are important."

I think they forgot about the elected part. The elections are coming up soon I believe.

Shaggy
15-Feb-17, 13:44
Roll up folks, grab your tumbleweed in bulk now, cheap by the sack load and as it's fully biodegradeable you can let it loose on the Mart site, watch it blow through the town centre and grab it again on the shore to do it all over again until it turns to dust like the rest of the town. Can't imagine why anyone would want to live in Thurso now as there's nothing going for it other than a bunch of whinging, resenting, hate-filled objectors....oh and a lovely view...Nice show for the NC500 isn't it!

Mik.M.
15-Feb-17, 14:07
I`m sure that the sheep will enjoy their view for years to come,thanks to our blinkered councillors. Next time they come round the house looking for votes,just tell em to feck off,just like Agnes Brown would.

kwbrown111
15-Feb-17, 14:44
I`m sure that the sheep will enjoy their view for years to come,thanks to our blinkered councillors. Next time they come round the house looking for votes,just tell em to feck off,just like Agnes Brown would.

Aye not so many years ago the council told you you are not entitled to a view from your house. About time they started listening to the majority instead of their own views.

The Horseman
15-Feb-17, 15:34
All of the visitors would have cars, thus some would be driving into Town for food. I know myself, if using a hotel, it is nice to get out for a wander....and a meal.
Perhaps it is time for 'new blood' in the Election process. Some of the people are 'locals' who have been around for years.
But it is quite common for the 'squeekie wheel' to get the attention, altho' they are few.
Do you think Crayola put a curse of the project? She does seem to have 'connections to the 'netherworld'! Exclamation!
In addition Dounreay will not be there is a few short years. The Gov't is running out of money and when that occurs, a high fence with barbed wire and Security Guards will be the answer. Care and Maintainance is the 'catchword' for such a decision....and the contamination will never go away. Call it what you may, it's there for the next thousands of years.

Recycle it
15-Feb-17, 15:46
[QUOTE=moses;1161485]Raymond, have you not noticed, no matter what you try in Caithness be it Windmills, improving the Harbour or anything else you will always get some Fn idiot that feels they have got to object to it, as they have not got a life themselves they don't want anyone else to succeed,it's odd that they only come out of the woodwork when there is something to object to,I am sure if some of these objectors had half of your brains they would be over the moon,I therefore would like to wish you all the best in the future and hope the planning goes through.[/QUOTE
Can you expand on " be it Windmills ,improving the Harbour or anything else" please.

Raymond Taylor
16-Feb-17, 13:14
I just put a statement on Thurso Bay Hotels Facebook site. My view of "proceedings" at Tuesdays Caithness Council meeting.

Recycle it
16-Feb-17, 14:20
It's wrong to have folk shouting for Councillors heads to roll over the outcome. It needs to Stop.

cptdodger
16-Feb-17, 14:58
It's wrong to have folk shouting for Councillors heads to roll over the outcome. It needs to Stop.

So it's also wrong to expect councillors to do the job they were elected for then ? - "Councillors are here to represent the views and opinions of individuals." Not their own views and opinions.

Recycle it
16-Feb-17, 15:45
Councillors are NOT there to dance to any individual needs or dreams,their there for the community has a whole . If any Councillors took your view they would be no need for Governance in Regional government which set the rules. Acting like a spoilt child does not move your case forward . To solve the problem first find out what stopped it, as I have stated "it was the right idea just the wrong site". If your mind is set on the prize ( the hotel) moved the site to another piece of ground you own ,a change of site would not be a stumbling block of many . If planning premission is the prize which in the future would lead or could open the door to more development thats totally different . What we have here is Politicians answers to Politicians questions and if you can't see that maybe ask the developer "WHY". When this was first muted years back ,it was said then the site was NOT acceptable , so why are they still beating that drum . There's a lot more questions to be answered and its not the Councillors they should be put to . I lived on the same road as the proposed hotel and could not get premission for a dropped curd to get my car off the main A9. So it ain't that Councillors are setting out their stall any different now.

cptdodger
16-Feb-17, 15:51
Acting like a spoilt child ? Pot, kettle ....

Recycle it
16-Feb-17, 19:03
Acting like a spoilt child ? Pot, kettle ....

lets hear.it then .

Rheghead
16-Feb-17, 19:10
So it's also wrong to expect councillors to do the job they were elected for then ? - "Councillors are here to represent the views and opinions of individuals." Not their own views and opinions.

Voters are supposed to elect someone who best represents them. Then the councillor's job is to act in the best interests of the community in accordance with how he/she feels is best. They'd make a poor councillor if they echo the majority's world view for fear of being unelected, that is mob rule. Their performance is judged at next election night.

cptdodger
16-Feb-17, 20:05
Do you know what, it must be because I am not from here, but I just cannot get my head round this. What do you think is going to happen to Thurso when Dounreay and Vulcan close ? Who and what is going to employ all these people ? There is going to be a mass exodus from here when that happens. I hope you're not waiting on Holyrood for investment, because it is not going to happen.

I will quote you now " the councillor's job is to act in the best interests of the community" basically what you are saying is, it is not in the best interests of the community to create jobs, it is not in the best interests of the community to try to attract tourists here and not just use this place as a stopping off point for the Orkneys?

Seriously, all this over a view, which the hotel would have absolutely no impact on anyway.

Raymond Taylor
16-Feb-17, 21:04
Councillors are NOT there to dance to any individual needs or dreams,their there for the community has a whole . If any Councillors took your view they would be no need for Governance in Regional government which set the rules. Acting like a spoilt child does not move your case forward . To solve the problem first find out what stopped it, as I have stated "it was the right idea just the wrong site". If your mind is set on the prize ( the hotel) moved the site to another piece of ground you own ,a change of site would not be a stumbling block of many . If planning premission is the prize which in the future would lead or could open the door to more development thats totally different . What we have here is Politicians answers to Politicians questions and if you can't see that maybe ask the developer "WHY". When this was first muted years back ,it was said then the site was NOT acceptable , so why are they still beating that drum . There's a lot more questions to be answered and its not the Councillors they should be put to . I lived on the same road as the proposed hotel and could not get premission for a dropped curd to get my car off the main A9. So it ain't that Councillors are setting out their stall any different now.

Wait just a minute my friend, acting like a spoilt child. In 1992 this was approved locally by a fine set of local Councillors on the exact same site I am proposing now and it was reversed in Inverness by a Labour Party whip for no good reason. I'm now fighting my corner as last August after seven years of public consultation and mountains of time and energy our local councillors did not like the outcome which was considered the settled view of their own Highland Council Planning officials. So don't give me your holier than thou BS. Also last Tuesday they wanted to go even further, and yes I'm upset, not just for me but the people they are meant to represent. I've said enough is enough and called them out not just for me but the town. What else can I do but call it as I see it.

nevergiveup
16-Feb-17, 22:26
Maybe now Mr Taylor will put his disappointment behind him and find another site for his hotel and holiday village......think the council decision was correct .......This is an area of outstanding natural beauty and needs to be preserved for future generations and visitors to appreciate.....

Raymond Taylor
16-Feb-17, 22:30
Maybe now Mr Taylor will put his disappointment behind him and find another site for his hotel and holiday village......think the council decision was correct .......This is an area of outstanding natural beauty and needs to be preserved for future generations and visitors to appreciate.....

Almost what it said in CaSPlan when recommending the site as enhancing the visitor experience and using the under-utilised amenity as a positive for generations of tourists visiting the town.

Mik.M.
16-Feb-17, 22:51
Outstanding natural beauty? It`s a field full of sheep and what comes out the back of sheep.

Recycle it
17-Feb-17, 13:00
Do you know what, it must be because I am not from here, but I just cannot get my head round this. What do you think is going to happen to Thurso when Dounreay and Vulcan close ? Who and what is going to employ all these people ? There is going to be a mass exodus from here when that happens. I hope you're not waiting on Holyrood for investment, because it is not going to happen.

I will quote you now " the councillor's job is to act in the best interests of the community" basically what you are saying is, it is not in the best interests of the community to create jobs, it is not in the best interests of the community to try to attract tourists here and not just use this place as a stopping off point for the Orkneys?

Seriously, all this over a view, which the hotel would have absolutely no impact on anyway.

Sorry that you don't get it .ITS NOT THE HOTEL IDEA THATS WRONG ,JUST THE SITE WHERE HE WANTED TO BUILD IT . We are just saying move it across the road and 500 yards farther WEST on to the ground he owns anyway . The view will be little changed from the Hotel and if they put in a roundabout at the junction ,access would be improved .
The closure of Dounreay and Vulcan will have an effect ,but are you saying I should wait if a plan to buy a house or sell now before the bubble bursts. The locals have been here along time and folk come here to see how local folk have impacted the Enviroment over thousands of years. Dounreay gave jobs but at a price, now we have the change our point of focus and look to a new future . If we destroy the landscape by making the same decision with the hotel as we did with Turbines maybe we should be selling return tickets on the Titanic.
We find that locals are having little or no input on decision ,you get the feeling that some folk just don't get it . Caithness has a lot to offer and so have its people ,if only they get the opportunity to bring it to the fore. Let's create jobs that will have a long term benefit ,just maybe having the New Hotel move across the road can show that Smart Thinking can benefit all . The likes of £21M New Nuclear Storage Locker in Wick is an example of the Highland Council giving land away free to get the building in Wick rather than Thurso. I was told that "Thurso comes way down the list on any business dealing with any bodies ,Wickers stand together and push harder whereas Thurso has more outside input which waters down everything, that's why Wick got the Commuity Centre and much more " . As for the Orkneys they have used their leverage well to get what the community needed as has Wick but we are losing out to Inverness and the likes by not getting the direction right . We have hotels laying empty in Thurso ,some due to age ,some to lack of investment . Yes it's cheaper to build new ,but what do we do with the old ones . There's a group of us putting together a Caithness Comunity Trust that could take over such properties for community use . If we don't stand up and speak about things that will impact us all and except that there will be a difference in opinion on some things and that new ideas or slight changes would make more sense in the long term, well we all lose.
Caithness .Org has been a great sounding board on the new hotel and Bill should be commended on how it is run, but the next step shows that good things can happen if you take into account of what impact we can have on others and your community . I thing the smart thing for ST is to move it and that way have the full backing of both groups ,The ones that want a New Hotel and the ones that want to preserve the green belt space. I would be happy to back the move and give the new site my full support . We don't move forward by dismissing the past or destroying the Enviroment the community and visitors alike have come to appreciate, it's loss is all our loss for generations .

cptdodger
17-Feb-17, 13:37
I am only going to reply to one thing because I have just realised who you are.

"but are you saying I should wait if a plan to buy a house or sell now before the bubble bursts."

Nowhere did I say that, nowhere. I personally would not buy a house here because they take an absolute age to sell. Bubble, what bubble is this you talk about ? If you are saying the houses will lose value when Dounreay and Vulcan go, and the shops follow and nobody invests, and you are all sitting around talking about what you might do to attract tourists, but actually doing nothing. Then yes, you are probably right, houses will lose their value, and that bubble you talk about will be well and truly burst.

Anyway, what do I know, as it was pointed out to me (not in these words I may add) I'm only an incomer, what's it got to do with me !

The Horseman
17-Feb-17, 15:21
A question......
If Brexit occurs, and Scotland stays in the EU., and Dounreay is funded by Great Britain money, what happens to the de-commissioning?

sids
17-Feb-17, 17:07
A question......
If Brexit occurs, and Scotland stays in the EU., and Dounreay is funded by Great Britain money, what happens to the de-commissioning?

If it slows down any, it'll be reversing.

Rheghead
17-Feb-17, 19:28
A question......

It costs about £170m per year to decommission Dounreay the last time I looked. I'm assuming the liability of the cost will be subject to negotiation. Even if the Scottish government has to pay for it, it won't break the bank.

Bystander1
17-Feb-17, 21:09
For once some sense from the earlier poster. Whats another £170 million when you are already £15 BILLION in the hole. Apologies in advance , only the elite allowed to post about sums on this section !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Raymond Taylor
18-Feb-17, 13:33
Sorry that you don't get it .ITS NOT THE HOTEL IDEA THATS WRONG ,JUST THE SITE WHERE HE WANTED TO BUILD IT . We are just saying move it across the road and 500 yards farther WEST on to the ground he owns anyway . The view will be little changed from the Hotel and if they put in a roundabout at the junction ,access would be improved .
The closure of Dounreay and Vulcan will have an effect ,but are you saying I should wait if a plan to buy a house or sell now before the bubble bursts. The locals have been here along time and folk come here to see how local folk have impacted the Enviroment over thousands of years. Dounreay gave jobs but at a price, now we have the change our point of focus and look to a new future . If we destroy the landscape by making the same decision with the hotel as we did with Turbines maybe we should be selling return tickets on the Titanic.
We find that locals are having little or no input on decision ,you get the feeling that some folk just don't get it . Caithness has a lot to offer and so have its people ,if only they get the opportunity to bring it to the fore. Let's create jobs that will have a long term benefit ,just maybe having the New Hotel move across the road can show that Smart Thinking can benefit all . The likes of £21M New Nuclear Storage Locker in Wick is an example of the Highland Council giving land away free to get the building in Wick rather than Thurso. I was told that "Thurso comes way down the list on any business dealing with any bodies ,Wickers stand together and push harder whereas Thurso has more outside input which waters down everything, that's why Wick got the Commuity Centre and much more " . As for the Orkneys they have used their leverage well to get what the community needed as has Wick but we are losing out to Inverness and the likes by not getting the direction right . We have hotels laying empty in Thurso ,some due to age ,some to lack of investment . Yes it's cheaper to build new ,but what do we do with the old ones . There's a group of us putting together a Caithness Comunity Trust that could take over such properties for community use . If we don't stand up and speak about things that will impact us all and except that there will be a difference in opinion on some things and that new ideas or slight changes would make more sense in the long term, well we all lose.
Caithness .Org has been a great sounding board on the new hotel and Bill should be commended on how it is run, but the next step shows that good things can happen if you take into account of what impact we can have on others and your community . I thing the smart thing for ST is to move it and that way have the full backing of both groups ,The ones that want a New Hotel and the ones that want to preserve the green belt space. I would be happy to back the move and give the new site my full support . We don't move forward by dismissing the past or destroying the Enviroment the community and visitors alike have come to appreciate, it's loss is all our loss for generations .

Tourism, Business and Leisure allocation in 2015 plan.

Starting to “SHOUT” now to get your points across, an interesting development I can’t imagine why that would be.

Before the final settled view CaSPlan went in front of Councillors last Aug 2016 the Caithness and Sutherland Proposed Local Development Plan Committee Version was presented to them in November 2015. During the public consultation process over several years prior to this I wrote numerous statements, these covered, maximising amenity, distance to town centre for the good of the town and the project, travel distances and remoteness. During the process as I said the public also had their say and the Highland Council Planning officials correlated all the information for and against and made a democratic judgement explained in exerts below from that plan.

This Nov 2015 proposed plan went to Committee and was approved. This was 10 months before they decided last August 2016 to torpedo their own plan? Also doing so they created another round of public consultation and the need for the plan to have a major modification.

My point being, I argued my points regarding the merits of a site within easy access of the towns centre and won the democratic argument with the majority of the respondents also behind it. The Councillors voted against this after all the work that had been done and closed the door after the horse had bolted last August. The people now know this and are reacting.

The site you “bang on about” is appropriate for a Travel Lodge or Premier Inn for sure, but a mile from the town centre, a 1000 yards more of a round trip for all the guest and staff than our proposed location, give me break. Who in their right mind would build a project of this quality that far away from town. Pennyland House is right on the edge of comfort for guests if not just outside.

I remember Bill Ariff building the Weigh Inn Motel many years ago. This was an American concept he liked. Why did he not build a hotel, I’ll tell you why, because then it was in the middle of nowhere. You build a top quality hotel in the middle of nowhere and see how you get on. Taxis, for guests, busses for staff etc. What we are trying to achieve is as good for the regeneration of the town as it is for the project and that identified our site way back in 2015.

Caithness and Sutherland Proposed Local Development Plan Committee Version 2015

Strategy and Policies 4 Caithness and Sutherland are the two most northerly parts of Highland and the British mainland and they are characterised by a unique landscape and coastal setting. Their location presents many challenges but make them well placed to take advantage of a number of opportunities. Tourism, aquaculture, renewable energy and the service industry play a strong role in the local job market.

103 The tourism industry is also regarded as being underdeveloped in Caithness and having potential to create new job opportunities. Major progress has been made in recent years in some areas such as the redevelopment at John O' Groats and successful promotion of the North Coast 500. These are helping to boost the national and international reputation of north Highland. Work on building a better quality visitor experience remains a top priority. The Plan allocates land at Pennyland for a high quality hotel Visit Scotland's Tourism Strategy which identifies a need for more quality hotels in Caithness. The hotel would be linked to the creation of a public park which would greatly help to open the area up for the enjoyment of both residents and visitors. These proposals will provide more facilities for visitors which will ultimately help to retain visitors in the area for longer .

104 The western expansion of the town continues to be a central component of the long term plan for Thurso. Since the last local plan was adopted in 2002 most of the other allocated sites have been built out. With the recently designated Scrabster Renewable Energy Enterprise Area and upgrades to the harbour facilities it continues to be the logical direction of growth for the town. It is anticipated therefore that attention will now focus on the housing and mixed use allocations at Pennyland, High Ormlie.

105 The Plan incorporates some of the key outputs of the ‘Charrette’ (an interactive design workshop) which was held in Wick over the course of a week in February 2013. Urban designers, architects, planners and the public came together to explore ideas and aspirations for Wick’s future. This fed into Masterplan and Charrette Report which brought together all the ideas and issues which were raised.

A masterplanned approach is needed to set out a strategy for the long term western expansion of the town. Land is identified for a range of uses including housing, business, leisure, petrol station, public park and openspace together with important transport and connection improvements. Establiish a green network from the coastline at Victoria Walk, through Pennyland and the Ormlie moors and stretching out to a new community woodland north of the golf course.

Business TS14: LAND WEST OF CARAVAN PARK Use: Business (Tourism, Leisure) Area (ha): 3 Developer Requirements: Developer to prepare masterplan/development brief for sites at Thurso West to be agreed with the Council who may adopt this as Supplementary Guidance. This should address: siting and design of hotel and public park area; landscaping; access from A9; enhanced active travel connections and coastal walk improvements; high quality, low level design is essential given its prominent location; sensitive siting and design required due to proximity of B-Listed Building; stone dykes to be protected and enhanced; protected

Michael Dennis
22-Mar-17, 13:24
With the greatest respect to those who fought and those who were lost in the war, this is a totally ridiculous idea and embodies everything we do not need.

This site, if for sale, should be used for the purposes of farmland or development. If people want to honour its past, then it should be done by means of a simple plaque or information at a library or heritage centre.

There is absolutely no way that public money should be wasted on anything like this. The archive in Wick serves a valuable purpose, if it was not created in Wick then it would have had to be created somewhere else to house all of the Dounreay documents and all other documents it holds.

There are more than sufficient memorials to honour those who have fought and been lost in conflict, during the period of history concerned and we certainly should not be continuing to create more monuments to this in the future. For those of us under the age of 50, this has a lot less meaning to our future than generations of the past and we can think of a lot better, forward thinking ways to spend this kind of money on, which support our communities and offer opportunities into the future.

I am sorry if that offends but it is fact.