PDA

View Full Version : Doorstep callers

Scunner
28-Jan-17, 18:21
Had a gentleman call last week offering to clean the pebble dash on the house. I said no-thanks and when I mentioned Police Website telling the public to be aware of callers offering services to be aware, he left very quickly.

Second caller was last night, about 17.00 hrs, asking if I would answer questions re 'how we received news'. Needless to say I didn't agree to answer anything.

Anyone else had these callers?

janeyj
29-Jan-17, 19:46
About 3 weeks ago Scunner I had a caller who said he was working for a company that was gathering information on how we receive news. Sound familiar? He was polite and smart and had lots of ID. He said it would only take 20 minutes and as I was between chores and other people were in the house I allowed him in. One hour and 20 minutes later I finally managed to get this man, who had abused my willingness to help, out of my house. He must have asked over 100 questions about what channels we watched and what we thought of this or that service. Nightmare. Scunner I will next time observe your policy and say no thanks. A lesson learned the hard way.

Janey

scorrie
31-Jan-17, 00:31
The simple rule is that anyone coming to your door is there to get something from you. They are never there to give you anything. It's none of their business what you buy, what you watch or anything else they might wish to know.

People need to protect their privacy and information, instead of blabbing it all on Facebook etc. I know of someone who has recently compromised their job through the spouting of information on Social Media.

Don't be polite about your Privacy. As Larry Grayson would say, "Shut That Door"