PDA

View Full Version : Tesco Closed

Baconbuttie
14-May-07, 22:56
Went from Thurso to Tesco tonight and found it closed, no notices up or anything. Anyone know why?

MadPict
14-May-07, 23:07
It was after midnight?........

Jeid
14-May-07, 23:12

:lol: Brilliant...

vodka-queen
14-May-07, 23:15
comment stated tht they went to tesco tonight and it was closed and the comment was left before 11pm

Baconbuttie
14-May-07, 23:15

It was 9pm which was after midnight last night but before midnight tonight.

dirdyweeker
14-May-07, 23:23

Julia
14-May-07, 23:25
Tesco closes at 8pm on Sundays, midnight the rest of the week

Went from Thurso to Tesco tonight and found it closed, no notices up or anything. Anyone know why?

Baconbuttie
14-May-07, 23:32

Thats what I thought. Wasn't aware of any holidays today, the banks and post office were open. The Bank holiday was last week.

MadPict
14-May-07, 23:32
What happened to Sunday?

Semiazas
14-May-07, 23:45
What happened to Sunday?

It finished yesterday. Don't worry, it will be here again soon enough...

dirdyweeker
15-May-07, 00:03

today though is Monday and there was an English Bank Holiday seemingly which was the reason that Tescos was only open from 9 o'clock to 8 o'clock.

badger
15-May-07, 12:22
today though is Monday and there was an English Bank Holiday seemingly which was the reason that Tescos was only open from 9 o'clock to 8 o'clock.

Don't think so - the English Bank Holiday was the previous Monday, May 7, same as Scotland. see http://www.dti.gov.uk/employment/bank-public-holidays/index.html and http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2005/01/bankholidays

I assumed it was one of those local holidays we have up here as there was a notice outside Tesco on Sunday stating this. However when I phoned them yesterday to ask about a product, the man who answered said he could not check as they had a skeleton staff due to it being a Bank Holiday. Think the move to Scotland has confused them. The banks were definitely open - at least the one I went to was.

Just to make life even more confusing, I believe Dounreay didn't have a holiday on the 7th but will on the 28th. However schools had the 7th off. It's a wonder anyone knows what they're doing.

Does anyone know if yesterday was one of those funny local holidays? And what are they all about anyway?

Alice in Blunderland
15-May-07, 13:54
A friend of mine who works in Tesco informed me that yesterday was Tesco holiday instead of the public holiday earlier in the month everyone else had. If you think on it this is one of the ways they make their money.... Stay open late on a public holiday and maximise your profits with all the extra people floating around the shops on a day off and close early on another day when they are going to lose less money... They arent this big for no reason now are they ..... :lol:

Angela
15-May-07, 14:02
Does anyone know if yesterday was one of those funny local holidays? And what are they all about anyway?

Same principle all over Scotland badger, but different days [lol] -in Edinburgh we had Monday 16th April as a local holiday -next Monday, May 21st, is one as well. I think that's a special Edinburgh one, "Victoria Day".

Yoo hoo, Victoria, are you reading this? ;)

Monday 7th May we had the same U.K. bank holiday as everyone else....and May 28th will be one as well. Years ago, bank holidays in Scotland were considered "English" and only the banks themselves were closed. We used to laugh watching TV and seeing all the bank holiday traffic jams....

I think the original idea, in the days of lots of small local shops and no supermarkets, was to give everyone in one town a holiday so they could go shopping in a different one, where the shops would be open.!

I can never remember what closes on a bank holiday (probably still not much apart from the banks and post offices)....but as I read a lot I've always wondered how the libraries here get ALL the Monday holidays...both bank & local. When we lived in a Fife village it could be hard to keep track of which nearby town would be pretty much "open" and which would be more or less "closed".

Baconbuttie
15-May-07, 23:26
A friend of mine who works in Tesco informed me that yesterday was Tesco holiday instead of the public holiday earlier in the month everyone else had. If you think on it this is one of the ways they make their money.... Stay open late on a public holiday and maximise your profits with all the extra people floating around the shops on a day off and close early on another day when they are going to lose less money... They arent this big for no reason now are they ..... :lol:

So why didn't they take the whole day off instead of just closing early, seems like the late shift got a holiday but not the earlies.

rhino
16-May-07, 23:14

Most rural Tescos take the public holiday the week after. Staff are paid extra for working or can have a paid day off.