PDA

View Full Version : John O' Groats Excitement!

neepnipper
02-Jun-05, 17:05
Had to tell everyone, while at work today at JOG a pod of killer whales were spotted not far off shore and very easy to see. Absolutely amazing!!! :D

scorrie
02-Jun-05, 20:56
Had to tell everyone, while at work today at JOG a pod of killer whales were spotted not far off shore and very easy to see. Absolutely amazing!!! :D

Killer Whales eh, where are those Lonely Planet writers when you need them to be out swimming?

Mind you, maybe Killer Whales are not desperate enough to eat Cack!!

Whitewater
02-Jun-05, 23:01
Brilliant, perhaps it is the same pod as was sighted last year.

katarina
03-Jun-05, 13:44
That's two years running they've come back. Now if only some one would revamp the hotel and add an observatory, tourists could watch the whales, the porpoises, the seals and the northern lights - much better attraction than all the plastic of land's end.

Tugmistress
03-Jun-05, 14:28
That's nice to know that they are coming back again :D
I guess that means it is time for all the Minke's and Pilot whales too :D
Hoping to see some myself again this year.

Setanta
03-Jun-05, 14:36

That sounds so cool, unless your a seal :lol:

jacktar
03-Jun-05, 17:44
To many seals anyway :D

kas
03-Jun-05, 19:40
You lucky sod. Its the one cetacean I would love to see.

Katrina is right, tourism should be trying to make as much from this as possible.Anytime I have been on the Pentland Venture afternoon trip, the tourists were going nuts over the seals.

From Scrabster tonigh ( with telescope though) I have seen White Beaked Dolphin and Porpoise. These animals are amazing to watch. Only problem is we havent had much calm weather to observe them of late.
Also loads of seabirds as well.

Keep us posted on any other sightings. and you should register your sightings with the seawatch foundation.
http://www.seawatchfoundation.org.uk/

scotsboy
04-Jun-05, 13:59
Mind you, maybe Killer Whales are not desperate enough to eat Cack!!

I think Lonely Planet are amongst the best travel guides available. I find them invaluable.