PDA

View Full Version : I need a bit of help with a dress

Dadie
14-May-07, 14:13
i have bought a dress from e bay and it was supposed to come with detachable straps it arrived without the straps nuff said..i have bought ribbon from elizabeths and have a pair of the clear straps you get for bras i was wondering how easy it would be to make my own straps with the ribbon! im not very good at sewing and can take a hem up or sew on a button if i have to but that is my limit!

Tugmistress
14-May-07, 14:18
From what i can gather Elizabeths will do alterations too.
I can just about sort out a wayward button but as for hemming, it's wonderweb all the way ;)

Dadie
15-May-07, 09:19
mmm i "sewed" on my sewing badge i got at girl guides with copydex glue:lol:

Marty McFly
15-May-07, 10:21
i have bought a dress from e bay and it was supposed to come with detachable straps it arrived without the straps nuff said..i have bought ribbon from elizabeths and have a pair of the clear straps you get for bras i was wondering how easy it would be to make my own straps with the ribbon! im not very good at sewing and can take a hem up or sew on a button if i have to but that is my limit!

If your stuck, try "Sew Wot" in Wick (01955 602718). She'll do it for you. ;)

Victoria
15-May-07, 12:50
Ive probably got an extra set of clear straps I can send to you if you need them (not saying that you'll muck it up but its nice to have a fall back) I could post them to you but I spose it depends on when you need them.

my own sewing escapade was trying to make a michael jackson glove covered in sequens!!!!:lol: :lol: (I was about 10 at the time)

Good luck anyway!

Dadie
15-May-07, 12:54
thanks very much for the offer but i bought a pack of 3 sets of clear straps in the event i muck it up[lol] my faith in my sewing skills is less than yours!

Dadie
15-May-07, 12:57
pass the stapler and glue and im sorted![lol]

Victoria
15-May-07, 13:00
hahahah! can i see some 'after' pictures when your done?

Dadie
15-May-07, 14:04
do you want photos of the 1st attempt or the last attempt? or the photos when i gave up and asked mum to do it which im hoping it doesnt come too...she often helps with things like this but you cannot move an inch or she will stab you with a pin (think she does it on purpose)she hates sewing but is good at it!

Victoria
15-May-07, 14:22
I want them of the WHOLE process from start to finish!![lol]

Fran
15-May-07, 20:57
Instead of the clear straps why not get the lovely diamante straps you can get instead, would look lovely on a dress.

Dadie
15-May-07, 22:21
sewing is not great but prototype 1 of bra straps is complete i will try to get hubby to take photos later ..

Bobinovich
15-May-07, 22:50
Having tried, and failed miserably, to sew my son's Beaver badges onto his jumper (first one ended up about 45 degrees off from the correct way!) I purchased a tin of 3M spray glue. Spray it on, position the badge, wait for it to dry and THEN sew the stoopid thing on!

Makes life SO much easier [lol]